MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Fun & Games > Grammar Police - how to respond?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Grammar Police - how to respond?  (Read 9305 times)

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
Re: Grammar Police - how to respond?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 02:32:56 PM »

Another silly topic, IMO.  MT is a bb and people share information.  If the reader can decipher what is being communicated - cool.  If the reader decides to ignore the communication because of a grammatical error - kind of sad, IMO.  None of this is work related nor are we getting grades for it.  For me, I have no clue what others are doing as they type but I am often on my phone or holding a baby so I tend not to stress the small things. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:51:54 PM by Will Sweat »
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 02:45:10 PM »

Personally I don't care what tactics are used. 

The truest words I have heard you speak, or type as it may be.
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 03:03:49 PM »

I wouldn't criticize someone for using poor spelling or grammar on the lighter threads, but I find it funny when someone like toobad, who often comments on education, makes glaring mistakes that give away the fact that he's just not very bright. 

The way we communicate on a forum like this is through our writing.  If your writing is poor and you can't communicate clearly, chances are you don't think clearly either. 

Maybe only a few of us "grammar police" bring up the subject, but everyone who reads the forum is provided a huge insight into the intelligence of anyone who posts.

Try to deflect with all the funny pictures you want, but every time toobad misspells simple words and butchers sentences, we get insight into his lack of intelligence.  Prof and Will can tell us they went to college, but when they insert apostrophes into every plural word, they display their ignorance for all to read. My sixth grader knows enough not to do that.

When Kopke or MN try to articulate their thoughts, yet show us repeatedly that they don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" and don't even have the ability to communicate on a fourth grade level, we get clues about their level of education and their intelligence.

Nobody's forcing anyone to post, obviously, but know that when you choose to do so, you are handing out obvious clues.

Do I think I'm better than those that have less command of the English language?  Absolutely not.  Are people like Monique, ducksoup, lilly and frenchfry more intelligent than those who choose to demonstrate that they can't even write a simple sentence?  Many on here don't want to hear it, but the answer is: Yes!

And yet, your whole paragraph screams, "Yes, yes, I AM better than those who use improper grammar and misspell words".Odd that those  you excoriate for their mistakes all seem to lean a little right, while those you point out for their grammatical perfection all seem to lean a "little" left. Maybe The Fry is correct; All righties are stupid.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2014, 04:14:02 PM »

Another silly topic, IMO. 

Thus why I put it in "FUN & GAMES" and not politics   ;D

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2014, 04:15:28 PM »

Thus why I put it in "FUN & GAMES" and not politics   ;D

True . .  . I normally just look by new post feature and not by category. 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »

With the advent of texting, the Language (as we know it) has become butchered and disemvoweled to an extent that even Samuel Webster could not have imagined.
Have to admit, I love "disemvoweled."  8)

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »

I think, to TMT's post, he's describing the clarity of individual thought processes. If a person can't distill their thoughts to a few well chosen words, properly spelled, and in the correct syntax in a post, then they simply do not possess that skill.

We write the way we think, more so than the way we speak. If you're all over the place, verbose, and pay little attention to the standards of communication, then that's how you think, too.

Whether you like it or agree or not, brevity and accuracy point to intellect--as well as a positive consideration for others.

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2014, 05:10:46 PM »

I suggest you read for the content, instead of proof reading posts, and telling yourself because you found a grammatical error and a misspelled word this person obviously doesn't have a point worth considering.

That's just it! Too many people are focused on the petty ****. It's ridiculous and juvenile.

My great-grandma was a very smart lady - but she had to quit school in the third grade.

My grandma is a very smart lady - but she quit school when she was 15.

My mother is a very smart lady - but she quit school when she was 16.

My sister is a very smart lady - but she quit school when she was 16.

Everyone is smart in one way or another. Everyone has something they're good at. EVERYONE is capable of having an opinion/feelings/thoughts and can express them in any way they see fit.

Why do people feel the need to make others feel inferior because of the simple fact that they don't agree with them? I'll never understand that.

This forum used to be informative, fun, and a place to "mingle" with friends. Now it's just a big brawl... A disgusting brawl. It doesn't matter what you say, someone will have something negative to say about it. If someone came on here and said "Yay! I'm now cancer free!" an 'enemy' would reply with something like "well you shouldn't have smoked in the first place"... That is literally what this place has turned into for the most part. It's so.... sad.

Ok. End rant.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »

And your dearest husband has greatly contributed to this hostile climate.

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2014, 05:30:26 PM »

And your dearest husband has greatly contributed to this hostile climate.

And I've stated multiple times, he is his own person. He has the free will to say and do as he pleases. I do not control him.

Have I said to him the same things I've stated here about antagonizing other posters and such, absolutely! But again, he is his own person and will do what he wants.

What I don't understand is why *I* get brought into things and why *I* get treated and talked to like crap because of something HE said or did.

Apparently people don't have anything better to do, and they can't attack him any more than they already have, so they come after me for no particular reason whatsoever.

:sigh:

Qué Sera Sera!

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »

I think, to TMT's post, he's describing the clarity of individual thought processes. If a person can't distill their thoughts to a few well chosen words, properly spelled, and in the correct syntax in a post, then they simply do not possess that skill.

We write the way we think, more so than the way we speak. If you're all over the place, verbose, and pay little attention to the standards of communication, then that's how you think, too.

Whether you like it or agree or not, brevity and accuracy point to intellect--as well as a positive consideration for others.
Yep! I always thought syntax was why you have to pay extra for liquor.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:42:52 PM by sammy »

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »

Why do people feel the need to make others feel inferior because of the simple fact that they don't agree with them? I'll never understand that.

I think it makes them feel like they are so smart and so superior, and fills an emptiness they must otherwise be feeling.

Is that concise enough a thought?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2014, 05:59:01 PM »

I think it makes them feel like they are so smart and so superior, and fills an emptiness they must otherwise be feeling.

Oh, that's what you always say.....  :P

I suppose you'd have to dismiss what I said as just some personality flaw of mine. How could you stand having it be the truth!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2014, 06:16:25 PM »

What occurs more often is that one word "gotcha"

from the grammar police...

as they gladly point out your misspelled word - usually in bold -

(Their/They're/There) always there waiting for the mistake so they can make themselves look "smarter"...

I can see if this occurred with regularity by a poster it could be an issue, but the one time misstep is a little to petty for me.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 06:19:00 PM »

What occurs more often is that one word "gotcha"

from the grammar police...

as they gladly point out your misspelled word - usually in bold -

(Their/They're/There) always there waiting for the mistake so they can make themselves look "smarter"...

I can see if this occurred with regularity by a poster it could be an issue, but the one time misstep is a little to petty for me.

Shouldn't that be TOO Prof?

Or maybe not?  Maybe it is to?  Too/to/two?

Heck - I knew what you meant!

Never mind!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up