MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!  (Read 12585 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »

The old 'Mikes Meats', now a lawnmower repair shop was, at one time a gas station and being in town and not in the township, I don't know if the tanks were ever pulled, same with the property on the corner of Teal and Sylvania-Pete.  That also was a filling station years ago.  I bet those tanks were steel and if still down there have to be leaking.

I suspect if the DEQ did sample borings on Syl-Pete and Teal, that one would also wind up a dot on the map.  The one that puzzles me is the dot on Syl-Pete past the market and fire hall on the east side of the road between the market and the railroad tracks.  There is nothing there but a cultivated field.

I found it interesting that the fiberglass tanks we had buried at the dealership in Toledo (I remember when they put them in) had as much water in them as they did.  Before the dealership was sold they were pulled down (I helped) to all that was left was water and there was 15" of water in the bottom under the diesel fuel.  Two 10,000 gallon glass double walled fuel tanks.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »

The old 'Mikes Meats', now a lawnmower repair shop was, at one time a gas station and being in town and not in the township, I don't know if the tanks were ever pulled, same with the property on the corner of Teal and Sylvania-Pete.  That also was a filling station years ago.  I bet those tanks were steel and if still down there have to be leaking.

I suspect if the DEQ did sample borings on Syl-Pete and Teal, that one would also wind up a dot on the map.  The one that puzzles me is the dot on Syl-Pete past the market and fire hall on the east side of the road between the market and the railroad tracks.  There is nothing there but a cultivated field.

I found it interesting that the fiberglass tanks we had buried at the dealership in Toledo (I remember when they put them in) had as much water in them as they did.  Before the dealership was sold they were pulled down (I helped) to all that was left was water and there was 15" of water in the bottom under the diesel fuel.  Two 10,000 gallon glass double walled fuel tanks.

A year or two back I posted a similar map and when you hovered over the blip it would give some more info of what the issue was. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »

I wonder what it's costing the taxpayers to provide the juice to cook the stuff out of the ground in St.Louis.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2018, 01:48:21 PM »

A year or two back I posted a similar map and when you hovered over the blip it would give some more info of what the issue was.

That don't work now....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2018, 06:46:45 PM »

I wonder what it's costing the taxpayers to provide the juice to cook the stuff out of the ground in St.Louis.

I'm sure the info is out there somewhere if you dig deep enough...

but there's definitely a reason these are called 'superfund' sites!!!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up