MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!  (Read 12498 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 04:54:58 PM »

Here's a current article (with video for those that don't like to read) from the Detroit Free Press with updates and current conditions in St. Louis.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014308030057
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 05:57:19 PM »

Actually, the text is as good as the video.  In some areas, the soil has to be excavated to a depth of 4 feet for mitigation and 300 Million for the 54 acre plant site alone.  I find it interesting and sad that the compay settled with the EPA and the went bankrupt for a measly 20 mil.  20 mil ain't even a downpayment.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »

Actually, the text is as good as the video.  In some areas, the soil has to be excavated to a depth of 4 feet for mitigation and 300 Million for the 54 acre plant site alone.  I find it interesting and sad that the compay settled with the EPA and the went bankrupt for a measly 20 mil.  20 mil ain't even a downpayment.

Ahhh yes...

the corporate shield!!!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 09:15:54 PM »

St. Louis is a very nice small town right off 127.  Been there a few times, never got ill from it.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2014, 11:47:29 AM »

St. Louis is a very nice small town right off 127.  Been there a few times, never got ill from it.

Even though Midland county is considered the 'middle' of Michigan (well, the lower peninsula anyway) the actual center is located in St. Louis.  They even have a little park there which is kind of interesting to visit if you're into that sort of thing. 

I had an aunt and uncle that lived a few miles south of St. Louis along the Pine River (the contaminated one) and we would spend some time with them in the summers.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »

Does that mean you 'glow' at night?

Sort of like Alma.  I remember when they dismantled the refinery on the east side of town.  That was ugly.  I wonder if that site is contaminated too?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2014, 10:03:11 AM »

While some of the effects are fairly quick (and obvious) there are also some long term implications that you probably don't even want to think about.  I doubt a few visits would be a problem...  unless you were digging in the dirt while you were there!

Here's another article I found:

http://archive.freep.com/article/20120923/NEWS06/309230153/Toxic-aftermath

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2014, 01:48:49 PM »

Maybe Fry was 'digging in the dirt' there.  He's noted for stirring up shitte...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »

I suspect the remediation will go on for generations at the cost of Billions in taxpayer money,  I sometimes winder how polluted Midland is.  Dow made some really nasty stuff there.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2018, 08:04:12 PM »

I suspect the remediation will go on for generations at the cost of Billions in taxpayer money,  I sometimes winder how polluted Midland is.  Dow made some really nasty stuff there.

They're still working on cleaning up the plant site itself.  I don't think they've even started on an cleanup of the Pine River and the Chippewa River yet.  There's also a mile of so of the Tittabawassee between the confluence with the Chippewa and the Dow  (now Dow DuPont)  plant.  Below the DD plant clear to the Saginaw River and then clear out into Saginaw Bay they are slowly in the process of cleaning up the river.  But above Dow clear to the old Velsicol plant the cleanup is still waiting. 

If we (the taxpayers) ever decide to clean up the plant site itself I doubt the government will be able to borrow enough money from China to handle it!

Here's some good reading while it's still cold out!!!

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/csitinfo.cfm?id=0503250

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2016/10/epa_seeks_public_comment_on_ne.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2015/05/dow_chemical_asks_450_property.html

http://michiganradio.org/post/why-does-it-take-40-years-clean-polluted-river

If it hasn't warmed up and you still want to read some more here's over 8200 more articles!

https://www.google.com/search?q=dow+chemical+cleanup+tittabawassee+river&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS481US482&oq=dow+chemical+cleanup+tittabawassee+river&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.6869j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This is all just on the river downstream from DD.

Here's a list on a few of Dow's landfills around the plant.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dow+Poseyville+Landfill&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS481US482&oq=Dow+Poseyville+Landfill&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.9269j0j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Velsicol in St. Louis was 54 acres.  I don't know how big the DD plant is now but I know it's often referred to as the largest Chemical plant in the world.  And that doesn't include the former Dow Corning plant which isn't included.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2018, 09:53:55 AM »

BRD......I had it in my mind that DOW was associated with that big dairy cattle kill up in Alma back in the 70's so I searched real quick.

Not sure about this blog, but well written.  Does this match your recollection?

http://ymaout.blogspot.com/2013/03/pbb-disaster-of-1970s-poisons-all-of.html

Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »

We've talked about this before probably on this thread. When I was a kid we used to hunt in the area of the Pennsylvania Crossing dump site before and after it was there. I still own 80 and a cabin off of Mt Tom rd and pass the dump site every time we I there.
I would say the dump site has had no ill effects on me but that might set off a lively debate!!!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2018, 12:02:14 PM »

BRD......I had it in my mind that DOW was associated with that big dairy cattle kill up in Alma back in the 70's so I searched real quick.

Not sure about this blog, but well written.  Does this match your recollection?

http://ymaout.blogspot.com/2013/03/pbb-disaster-of-1970s-poisons-all-of.html

The blog seems pretty factual.  The only thing that jumps out at me right away as being slightly wrong was the part about the supervisor telling the crew to just go ahead and mix the (unknown at the time) fire retardant with the food.  That scenario happened at Farm Bureau from what I have read. 

We've talked about this before probably on this thread. When I was a kid we used to hunt in the area of the Pennsylvania Crossing dump site before and after it was there. I still own 80 and a cabin off of Mt Tom rd and pass the dump site every time we I there.
I would say the dump site has had no ill effects on me but that might set off a lively debate!!!

You most likely have had far more exposure in your like by eating contaminated food and drinking contaminated milk. 

Even if any of the burial sites are leaking each cow had only parts per million of contamination. 

In some cases it does take years to show any signs of exposure too.

My wife's mother grew up within site of the Pine River below St. Louis and in the 80s had many issues that can potentially be traced back to PBB exposure.  After a couple of years they seemed to diminish and she lived into her 90s.

Our youngest daughter was born (late 80s) with issues that potentially can be linked back to possible PBB exposure. 

Several years ago I posted here about some issues my wife had suddenly started having.  They mimicked very closely what her Mom had gone through decades earlier.  She was ultimately diagnosed with Lupus which is similar to but different from rheumatoid arthritis.  RA symptoms are very prevalent to some of the farmers that were actually pouring the bags of feed out for the cattle and other related jobs involving the cattle feed.

All coincidences or all a direct link...

who knows?

Anyway, glad you haven't had any issues and hopefully you never do because they're not pretty!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up