MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!  (Read 11596 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2018, 12:07:07 PM »

BRD......I had it in my mind that DOW was associated with that big dairy cattle kill up in Alma back in the 70's so I searched real quick.

Not sure about this blog, but well written.  Does this match your recollection?

http://ymaout.blogspot.com/2013/03/pbb-disaster-of-1970s-poisons-all-of.html

No, it wasn't Dow but rather St. Louis Chemical (later Velsicol).

The similarities is they were both situated in the central Michigan area and both extracted chemicals from brine or salt in the area.  Another similarity is both were not very careful on keeping they're pollution out of the adjacent rivers which actually connected the two plants.

My wife and I both grew up literally on the banks of the Pine River about midway between the two plants.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »

I would say the dump site has had no ill effects on me but that might set off a lively debate!!!

Mav......you and I grew up in a time when preservatives were being introduced to the baby food we were fed as kids (1st generation to do so), processed foods were the norm (nitrates and nitrites), and a whole host of chemicals first introduced to man.

I marvel at my willingly consumed "chemicals" and still surprised I have appendages and 3 active brain cells.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »

We've talked about this before probably on this thread. When I was a kid we used to hunt in the area of the Pennsylvania Crossing dump site before and after it was there. I still own 80 and a cabin off of Mt Tom rd and pass the dump site every time we I there.
I would say the dump site has had no ill effects on me but that might set off a lively debate!!!

When you stopped by this spring. you had a strange odor about you...... ;D  Smelled like something chemical... :o
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2018, 11:48:35 PM »

Round Up ready GMO Bean soup !!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »

We've talked about this before probably on this thread. When I was a kid we used to hunt in the area of the Pennsylvania Crossing dump site before and after it was there. I still own 80 and a cabin off of Mt Tom rd and pass the dump site every time we I there.

This study is right in your area then.

Your tax dollars at work:  http://www.midnr.com/Publications/pdfs/ForestsLandWater/Cmpt_Reviews/Grayling/2010/Cmpt029NarReportMap.pdf

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 10:17:27 AM »

And now in St. Louis (MI) where the problem all started they're still working to clean up the site. 

Some of this looks very new but if it works to treat the waste 'on site' it should save some money in the long run not to mention the chance of contaminating new victims by digging it up and transporting it to an incinerator. 

http://www.mlive.com/expo/erry-2018/05/81ef53cdeb445/index.html

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2018, 10:26:54 AM »

They did something like this at the corner of Sterns and Secor last year.  Wasn't' quite this sophisticated but pretty much like this.  There was a gas station at the site for years.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »

They did something like this at the corner of Sterns and Secor last year.  Wasn't' quite this sophisticated but pretty much like this.  There was a gas station at the site for years.

That corner is still showing as 'active' on the map at the link below.  Not sure at what point they consider a location 'clean'.

Looks like there is still some cleanup to do at what is now the Kroger Fuel Center across the corner. 

http://www.circleofblue.org/LUST.html

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2018, 03:33:12 PM »

I'm betting the website just hasn't been updated. They had this equip in place for months. Then they hauled out lots of dirt and refilled

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2018, 04:36:09 PM »

I see we have one in Summerfield Township south of the fire hall on Sylvania-Pete Road.  Interesting map BRD, thanks.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2018, 04:39:46 PM »

There was / is a huge similar one on the OTPK at the closed rest area on the eastbound side before the Airport Highway exit.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2018, 09:09:18 AM »

I'm betting the website just hasn't been updated. They had this equip in place for months. Then they hauled out lots of dirt and refilled

I haven't kept up with this recently but there is a timeframe that they will come back and check the onsite test wells and then some wells around it but 'off site'.  Once all of those test 'safe' and probably a bunch of other criteria are met then the proper authorities will remove it from their listing.  So many levels of government and different agencies involved. 

At one time I heard that someone was developing a bacteria that they could inject into a polluted site and let the bacteria consume the pollution.  I don't know what ever happened with that. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2018, 09:12:07 AM »

I see we have one in Summerfield Township south of the fire hall on Sylvania-Pete Road.  Interesting map BRD, thanks.

Some of the sites were the result of relatively small amounts of pollutant.  If the same criteria were used across the country that map would be loaded with a lot more blips! 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2018, 09:23:04 AM »

CL passes the map on to John Chandler who had no idea the 'blips' existed.  Interesting map and interesting spots on it.  The one is the old Mike's Meat Market in town (now a lawnmower repair shop).

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2018, 09:37:07 AM »

CL passes the map on to John Chandler who had no idea the 'blips' existed.  Interesting map and interesting spots on it.  The one is the old Mike's Meat Market in town (now a lawnmower repair shop).

Some of the 'spills' go back decades and are not all 'fuel' spills.  I can't think of anything off hand that a meat market would use that would be a contaminant. 

Is it on a corner? 

Always be cautious of any property on a corner of a main road as it may have been the site of a fuel station at one time.

Dry cleaning fluid is another nasty chemical. 

Each one of those blips has an entire file on it 'somewhere'.  Sometimes you can find info online and other times you can't. 

He should be in a position to get more info (eventually) than many people are.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up