MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > What is your favorite carry gun?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: What is your favorite carry gun?  (Read 6480 times)

Monique

• Hero Talker
Re: What is your favorite carry gun?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2014, 10:56:04 PM »

I would disagree with the "gun nut logic" cartoon.
First of all, it could be argued that without concealed or open carry, that there would be many more mass shootings. Secondly, I can't recall how many of these mass shooting were caused by anyone legally carrying concealed or openly. And finally, pointing a firearm is in direct conflict with either concealed carry or open carry laws, and is punishable by law, so this cartoon is simply a made up rendering to justify someone's fear of that which they know little about.
Keeping it civil, Brian. Guns kill people. Crazy people with guns kill people, but it's still the GUN.

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2014, 11:04:12 PM »

Keeping it civil, Brian. Guns kill people. Crazy people with guns kill people, but it's still the GUN.
The gun is simply an inanimate object, like a knife or a car. Put in the wrong hands, any inanimate object can kill. I don't expect you to change your mind, nor will I. I was brought up to respect firearms, and I learned at an early age how to handle firearms safely. I have owned firearms for over 36 years, and to date, none of my firearms have ever killed anyone. In fact, none have ever been inappropriately pointed at anyone.
I will agree with your one comment though. Crazy people with guns kill people. That statement should be changed to read: Crazy people kill people, and themselves, and should be kept as far away from any item able to kill another human being, period!
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 01:18:06 AM »

Lets see...

In my pocket, the Bond Snakeslayer or in a ballistic holster on my belt....  When I first got it I wasn't happy with the (what I thought was a heavy trigger) but once I learned how to properly hold it and trigger it, it became a nice carry firearm.  You actually trigger it left handed if you are a right handed person, opposite if a lefty, exactly opposite of any handgun I ever triggered before.

I really like the Kimber Crimson Carry Ultra I bought from Live a while back I have a nice DeSantis I can carry it in but being a full size 1911, it's a bit un-concealable unless wearing a coat so sometimes, depending on circumstances.  Kimbers come with heavy pull triggers, but a Wilson Combat spring and stoning the sear made it a second thought gun.

I open carry my S&W 44 Magnum long barreled revolver.  You can't conceal a tank....  Up North it's perfectly acceptable down here, not acceptable because of paranoid citizens, though it's perfectly legal to (open carry) in this state and in Ohio.  My 44 pulls at exactly one pound single action with no creep or pretravel, just like a vintage reworked Smith should.  Very touchy.....make my day...... ;D

I'm not one to carry a firearm constantly. only if I'm going somewhere where I suspect there might be an unforseen issue, like East Toledo or downtown Downtown Detroit.  Our plants are gun free zones and I always respect the regulations my employer sets forth.

I usually have one in the car with me, usually beside the seat.  Locked and loaded can be dangerous on the crap roads around here though....... ;D

IMO, having a permit to carry don't constitute the necessity to carry.  It constitutes the right to carry and says you are a law abiding citizen.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2014, 06:59:45 AM »

The gun is simply an inanimate object, like a knife or a car. Put in the wrong hands, any inanimate object can kill. I don't expect you to change your mind, nor will I. I was brought up to respect firearms, and I learned at an early age how to handle firearms safely. I have owned firearms for over 36 years, and to date, none of my firearms have ever killed anyone. In fact, none have ever been inappropriately pointed at anyone.
I will agree with your one comment though. Crazy people with guns kill people. That statement should be changed to read: Crazy people kill people, and themselves, and should be kept as far away from any item able to kill another human being, period!

Why do some find that so hard to understand?

I feel bad for the kids that are raised in fear of guns - thinking that one is just going to leap out of my locked safe, load itself, and attack them ruthlessly.

It just doesn't happen. 
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2014, 09:18:16 AM »

Maybe some of the fear is the idea that guns can go off easily on their own.
How common is it for a dropped gun to discharge?
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2014, 09:32:34 AM »

With the firing pin safeties, and trigger safeties, and hammer block safeties built into current production guns, it is almost impossible, Prof.

Guns go off when people pull the trigger.  Simple as that.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »

Then people should not have guns. Simple as that.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2014, 09:39:06 AM »

I like the .40 cal Glock and it only has a trigger safety.  It's a little large to be carrying, particularly in the summer months where it's hard to hide.
I also have a S&W .380 but don't feel quite as safe with that one.  When I carry it, i usually have a round in the chamber and the safety off.

And I can agree Monique if we can throw away ALL the guns.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »

With the firing pin safeties, and trigger safeties, and hammer block safeties built into current production guns, it is almost impossible, Prof.

Pretty much what I thought - although you hear that "excuse" given for people's own stupidity.

Then people should not have guns. Simple as that.

Then (Stupid, mentally unstable/ill, criminals, etc... ) should not have guns.

Problem is the criminals do - and there's no fixing that.

Criminals who want to use force or threat - will find alternatives if necessary.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »

Cars kill far more people than guns...   are you advocating we take cars away too?   or is it only gun deaths that matter in your argument.
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2014, 10:01:35 AM »

What about the seemingly daily stories of 'law abiding' gun owners whose children kill each other when they point their parent's gun at their siblings?

Yeah, yeah, yeah........ I've heard your answers before.

Guns have one purpose, and that is death.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »

Cars kill far more people than guns...   are you advocating we take cars away too?   or is it only gun deaths that matter in your argument.
8*

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2014, 10:15:36 AM »

When looking for a carry gun - what are the key points?

besides the obvious of training and handling/safety and accuracy
I'm thinking:  Size, caliber, capacity, and weight come to mind...

I was a novice when I purchased my first,  doing fire investigations (not in Monroe) I found myself in a few uncomfortable positions - so I got permission from my employer to get a conceal permit.   
I visited Wolverine - when they were on Telegraph in Flatrock - and the staff was very helpful.

I made the mistake of not renewing my permit years ago - and someday need to take the class, except most are on weekends.

Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »

What about the seemingly daily stories of 'law abiding' gun owners whose children kill each other when they point their parent's gun at their siblings?

Yeah, yeah, yeah........ I've heard your answers before.

Guns have one purpose, and that is death.

Law abiding - maybe,  improper storage should be covered.

People with proper knowledge and training on guns would use locked cases and trigger locks.   
Goes to the same argument of a automobile -
Proper use - no deaths
Improper use - possibility of deaths

Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 10:21:38 AM »

Law abiding - maybe,  improper storage should be covered.

People with proper knowledge and training on guns would use locked cases and trigger locks.   
Goes to the same argument of a automobile -
Proper use - no deaths
Improper use - possibility of deaths
*sigh* Another lame argument. I'm so tired of the car analogy.

Cars are used for transportation and occasionally result in death.

Guns are used for killing things, and nearly always result in death when fired at living beings, and sometimes even when they're fired away from living beings, and sometimes from being accidentally fired.

Do you see the difference, Prof?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up