MonroeTalks.com > About MonroeTalks.com > Support & Feature Requests (Moderator: Administration) > REQUEST: Guns & Ammo Board

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: REQUEST: Guns & Ammo Board  (Read 2649 times)

Monique

• Hero Talker
REQUEST: Guns & Ammo Board
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:10:49 PM »

I would like to request a board specifically dedicated to discussions of guns. That way, pro gun people can discuss their hideous toys to their ultimate bliss, and those of us who would really rather not witness such savagery can simply ignore that board.

This is a serious request, and I think it would help keep the peace on the forum. It's a disruptive topic that has been intentionally bled into other boards in order to create division and arguments.

Please and thank you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:12:32 PM by Monique »

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: REQUEST: Guns & Ammo Board
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »

it's simpler than that.  If topic of the post leads someone to believe it's about guns just skip right on by.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »

it's simpler than that.  If topic of the post leads someone to believe it's about guns just skip right on by.
Nope. We have a Fun and Games board because a lot of people got tired of seeing the one word posts appear in the regular list of recent posts. There's the Neveah board for the same reason. There's a Politics board, too, for people to ignore if they don't like politics.

If it helps keep the peace, why not?

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:43:27 PM »

While I agree that a person should be able to choose on their own whether to read a topic or not, and comment or not, I think that a dedicated firearms section would be nice for those who wish to discuss this hobby without being picked at.
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 12:51:46 PM »

Thank you for your support. I would then hope that people would respect that board and confine their discussions there, just as we all try to confine other topics to their appropriate boards.

And the digs go both ways. Some people bring up the topic to intentionally cause trouble.

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 01:05:25 PM »

There are three topics specific to guns & ammo in the Just Asking board's front page, not to mention numerous off topic discussions occurring in many other unrelated threads.

I think the topic deserves its own board.

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 01:14:27 PM »

I choose to stay away from the political topics because they are so filled with crap about this side versus that side.
Plus, there are so many people much more knowledgeable than me about politics that I feel way over my head getting into some of the discussions.
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 01:48:38 PM »

Has to do with SELF DISCIPLINE as far not posting on a thread that only interests you in a negative manner or a thread that you will only post derogatory comments on.....

But then, the siren call of posting negative comments on a subject that is of no concern to a poster seems to be the norm around here.

I just ignore those posts or selectively open them because I already know what the subject matter will consist of, so why bother.

It is what it is and I fully well know I'm not going to influence anyone's negative opinion, so why bother.  Waste of time and waste of forum space IMO.

Ignore condenses even the longest winded posts to 3 lines.  Thats it.

Like our one resident poster that loves to post cut and paste articles that are extremely long, I reduce them to 3 short lines.

Drum beaters that beat their drum in opposition of my views, might as well put their fist through the drum head, I can't hear the drum beat anyway.

My only deterring premise is that the TOS is violated.  When it is, I have no issue reporting the offending poster and will continue to do just that.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 09:14:31 PM »

So, if a separate board is created, what will prevent the anti-gun comments?

Nothing, as far as I can see.  The trolls will follow.

If you don't like the topic, don't read it, and don't comment on it.

Period.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

ell

• Hero Talker
  • Nothing beats a good paddle
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:38 PM »

Great idea.  Those who don't like the subject won't have to weed through all the posts.  They can just ignore the subject.  I have found that very handy in the past and present.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thouroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 10:03:14 PM »

Can we also have a separate board, strictly for copy and pasting posts? 
Posting individual comments and opinions will be prohibitted.

Please and thank you!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »

Don't forget, we need an additional forum for those who like to call other posters names like......

Tool and
Dick and
Meathead and
Idiot

Could call it the 'alias' forum or 'also known as....' forum.

livewire

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 11:51:13 PM »

Good idea, Flip!

That way, if someone wants to read childish name calling, they can go there!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 07:23:16 PM »

Would that also be the place you go if all you are doing it looking to tell other posters their opinion is wrong - even when they say they agree with you?

;)
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 10:34:31 PM »

That would move a good 2/3rds of posters to that forum thread.....  just say'in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up