MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > A Farewell To Backyard Chickens and Beekeepers

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A Farewell To Backyard Chickens and Beekeepers  (Read 7385 times)

lilly

• Hero Talker
Re: Michigan Loses ‘Right To Farm’ This Week
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »

In many of your previous posts it appears you support the theft of a persons labor / money for redistribution, oh the hypocrisy.
So I take it you are in favor of taking away a person's rights to raise their own food on their own property?

Or is it just that you couldn't find anything wrong with my statement, and this is the best you could come up with?
The Republican Party is now a sinkhole of ignorance and bigotry.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »

I'm sure the appeals process hasn't played out -

State law trumps Local ordinances.

What we don't know:

When were the farming operations started, and when were the neighboring homes built.

I will contact Farm Bureau to find out why they took their position.

They claimed it was from members - but I never was asked.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

lilly

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »

I'm sure the appeals process hasn't played out -

State law trumps Local ordinances.

What we don't know:

When were the farming operations started, and when were the neighboring homes built.

I will contact Farm Bureau to find out why they took their position.

They claimed it was from members - but I never was asked.
Two very important questions.

I know of a few friends who moved out of the city and got a few acres out in the country. They do have a neighbor that lives close enough that the neighbor had built a privacy fence, primarily because of their former neighbor.

My friends now raise their own chickens, for eggs and for meat. If their neighbors didn't like that, they could now go to the township and ask for them to stop raising chickens. Luckily, their neighbors like them and even took down their privacy fence.

But what is to keep them from changing their minds? What happens if things turn sour?
The Republican Party is now a sinkhole of ignorance and bigotry.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2014, 10:10:14 AM »

Two very important questions.

I know of a few friends who moved out of the city and got a few acres out in the country. They do have a neighbor that lives close enough that the neighbor had built a privacy fence, primarily because of their former neighbor.

My friends now raise their own chickens, for eggs and for meat. If their neighbors didn't like that, they could now go to the township and ask for them to stop raising chickens. Luckily, their neighbors like them and even took down their privacy fence.

But what is to keep them from changing their minds? What happens if things turn sour?

You adjudicate it through the local township.

I don't get the comment about Live quaking in his boots, he's a legitimate farmer and land owner.  Far as I can ascertain this applies to the 'hobby farm' scenario, in other words, animal husbandry in an urban/suburban setting.  Has nothing to do with a garden whatsoever.

My question would be how it plays out concerning zoned and not zoned townships/communitites.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »

You adjudicate it through the local township.

I don't get the comment about Live quaking in his boots, he's a legitimate farmer and land owner.  Far as I can ascertain this applies to the 'hobby farm' scenario, in other words, animal husbandry in an urban/suburban setting.  Has nothing to do with a garden whatsoever.

My question would be how it plays out concerning zoned and not zoned townships/communitites.
The remark about Live was a feeble attempt at humor, and you can see just how feeble it was. Thread title says "Michigan loses right to farm this week" If you actually read the article, nothing could be further from the truth.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2014, 12:35:02 PM »

Lots of questions to be answered with all this...

The first one I see is the part about a property that has a residence within 250'...

even out in the most rural parts of Monroe County that would put a lot of true farms in a questionable status. 

Or does that the 'questionable operation' has to be at least 250' from someone's actual home...  lots of difference!  Even out here it's not uncommon for a home to be 7-800' off the road so you could have two homes a quarter of a mile apart and yet they would both qualify each other if it's only the parcel we're talking about.

Ida Twsp. has (or at least did many years ago) that you can't have a horse on a property unless the 'barn' is at least 100' from the property line.  I'm not sure the purpose of that because certainly a horse can create an 'odor' right up to the property line regardless of where the 'barn' is located.  It does appear that this ordinance was intended to keep horses off several parcels in the township that are 10+ acres but were only 200' wide! 

Again, this looks like the big winners will be attorneys and the court system ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 12:46:07 PM »

Not really, Township ordinances will prevail.  Tow cropping to the property line is the accepted practice so long as the crop height don't obstruct vehicular traffic (like at a corner intersection where drivers don't have unlimiuted sight distance because of standing crops...

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »

Planting spuds btw.  I put in 4 rows last weekend and they are peeping up already.  Spuds like cool weather....

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »

Pigs live next door to me.  Do you think they will be affected?

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »

I hope not.

Aren't they kinda cute?

And I know they are awfully tasty.....

;D
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 02:04:45 PM »

Not these pigs.  Garbage all over the place, weeds waist high . . .  ;)

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2014, 02:46:32 PM »

All depends on your local zoning ordinance and any new amendments that may be enacted.  If you don't live in a zoned community, you're out of luck....in many ways.
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 02:57:38 PM »

Got you Erie!

Monroe just mailed out a brochure to all the residents.

They encouraged us all to be good neighbors - but turning in our neighbors for blight violations.

I'm sure that policy will build a close knit neighborhood for sure!

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
  • 1972 - 1975
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2014, 03:35:58 PM »

I have to admit I turned my neighbor in twice.  Once, about 30 years ago when the kids were climbing his dead tree to swing on an old rope - to jump off and land on a caved in roof of a shed, Then they would slide off the roof and land in the shed on an old broken down couch. 
The shed was taken down the next week. . There are still parts of that shed and some of the junk that was inside laying along the fence line of our properties. 
I called again last year when  I couldn't see their house anymore because of the weeds and the rats were having to come into my yard to see the sun.   :-\

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »

Sounds like its time for Operation Agent Orange to me......
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up