MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 315   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 216987 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #4590 on: September 10, 2017, 08:17:33 PM »

My buddy in Punta Gorda is on vacation for 2 weeks in Amsterdam.

He didn't answer if he lowered the storm shutters before he left, just said he'd call when he got back.

Hope he has a house to come back to.  Hope he is having a good time!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4591 on: September 10, 2017, 08:40:34 PM »

My BIL says he's going to have someone assess the damage of his house if any and see if he can load up a PUD and have it delivered.  He's thinking now there won't be any building materials left in Fla to buy..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #4592 on: September 10, 2017, 10:24:48 PM »

Good luck BRD, I have another buddy near your way that is riding it out in a shelter.

Thanks...   I hope I have things planned out enough that I've made my own luck but a little 'extra' never hurts.

Our daughter called about 5:30 and said their power had gone through a bit of a brownout and then went out completely.  A half hour later she called and said it was back on and then about 7:30 she said it went out again.  Haven't heard that it went back on either.  Looks like the webcam link I posted did the last picture at 6:44.  That's only about 3 miles from her so when you see the webcam go back on you'll know there is power in the area. 

As of now I'm tentatively planning on leaving Tuesday morning.  Google says it's a 17 hour drive but I'll be pulling a small utility trailer so I'll try to hold the speed to 65.  Depending on where I start encountering storm damage or where they may have a checkpoint set up I'll stop and try to get some sleep and then head the rest of the day early the next morning in the daylight.  Sebring is about 250 miles into Florida but it may take all day to make that 250 miles.  I'm traveling light and alone and can be pretty flexible. 

My buddy in Punta Gorda is on vacation for 2 weeks in Amsterdam.

He didn't answer if he lowered the storm shutters before he left, just said he'd call when he got back.

Hope he has a house to come back to.  Hope he is having a good time!

Punta Gorda is one of my favorite towns on the Gulf Coast.  My maternal grandparents moved there in the mid 50s after getting pushed off the keys by 2 big hurricanes in 2 straight years.  It stayed pretty safe until Charley hit it hard about 10 years ago.  Depending on what all he is doing for relaxation in Amsterdam he may not even be worried about Irma ;) ;) ;)

My BIL says he's going to have someone assess the damage of his house if any and see if he can load up a PUD and have it delivered.  He's thinking now there won't be any building materials left in Fla to buy..

I'm guessing the worst cause of shortage in Florida is the hurricane damage in Texas...   Texas got a 'head start' on rebuilding.  There is a Lowes and a Home Depot almost across 27 from each other.  Avon Park is 7-8 miles up the road and they still have a very nice family owned lumber yard that actually sells straight boards ;D ;D ;D

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4593 on: September 10, 2017, 10:30:12 PM »

The worst part about the storm is that it is almost 400 miles wide...   Florida is about 200 miles wide in most areas so even if the storm is on the opposite coast you're still getting some of the storm no matter where you are.  A big question now is where will it go once it hits the panhandle of Florida.  They're already seeing some clouds in the Ohio Valley that tie down to the storm.  At some point I'm probably going to have to drive in some heavy rain. 

If it turns far enough west it could head toward Texas and give them some more flooding...   just what they don't need!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4594 on: September 11, 2017, 08:22:28 AM »

Our youngest called from Sebring about 7:30...   they were enjoying the calm after the storm.  No power but at least they have cell phone service.  Sounds to me like maybe they had a hurricane party during the storm. 

One of her friends had called and told her that the front of our carport is flopping and it looks like one window is broken.  I'll be happy if that's all it is ;D ;D ;D

I just checked Accuweather and the top of the storm is up into Tennessee already and appears to be moving more to the west.  Looks like I can avoid a lot of rain by taking a more easterly route and then heading south along the Atlantic coast.  Plus I'll 'save' the few dollars on the FL Turnpike that way.  I wonder if they even have the toll booths open?

And maybe to tomorrow morning the storm will have moved more to the west and I can just go right down 75.  I'll have a much better idea by this time tomorrow!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4595 on: September 11, 2017, 08:24:35 AM »

I found a private webcam that is still running in Sebring.  I'll try linking the cam window but not sure if it will update or not.  I'll also post the direct link.  It's not a video but it looks like it updates every 10 to 15 minutes.  The fronds are still on the palm tree so that's a positive sign!

Link:  https://www.wunderground.com/webcams/jamesd9754/1/show.html

Keep watching here and the feed should return as soon as the power comes back up.

Just heard a 'downed power lines' call in the city...   maybe the storm hit here already!!!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4596 on: September 12, 2017, 10:17:34 AM »

Everyone i know is safe in Fla and only 1 home of my relatives in Tamapa area had about a bundles worth of shingles blown off..
Hoping best for the rest of you with homes in fla or relatives..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4597 on: October 01, 2017, 09:43:03 PM »

I've always enjoyed watching a smokestack come tumbling down!

I really wanted them to just dynamite the tall stacks at the Monroe Power plant 8) 8) 8)

http://www.mlive.com/news/muskegon/index.ssf/2017/10/final_sappi_smoke_stack_comes.html#incart_gallery

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
Maybe it's time to quit erecting statues to people?
« Reply #4598 on: October 05, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20171005/foundation-laid-for-james-monroe-statue

Putting up a statue to honor James Monroe here in Monroe seems to make sense...   today!

But what happens 10-20-30 years from now when we discover that some of his actions 100 years ago are offensive to some group.  Oh the fun they may have someday throwing ropes around old Jim and hauling his tail clear to the River Raisin!

Let's put a moratorium on more statues to people and concentrate on honoring more animals!  Pretty sure people tend to find them much less offensive than a lot of people anyway.  Maybe we can just bring in a big industrial laser and cut Custer off of Dandy's back (or was Dandy a later horse?) :D :D :D 

I'll bet we could sell tickets and make enough to fund the Battlefield improvements for a few years ;) ;) ;)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4599 on: October 08, 2017, 11:12:06 AM »

We had a couple of nasty storm fronts blow through last night.  Lots of damage to the power grid too.  Our son called this morning and said their power went out so he drove up to the corner and there was a DTE crew putting in a new pole.  They said it should be up and running in about 20 minutes and he had power in just under 20 minutes.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20171007/storm-causes-power-outages-downed-wires

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4600 on: October 08, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »

i've noticed in the last few years there seems to be less maintaince around power lines. 
Trees and limbs allowed to grow to close and over the wires.  To may small trees growing up in ditches that are just allowed to grow instead of chewing them up. The state/county/township doing a poor job of maintaining anything.  They are paving a number of roads for a change.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4601 on: October 08, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »

I have noted that in MC as well as opposed to the efforts to clear road right of ways in the southern Midwest.  I just figured down here it was an effort to allow deer to be seen with a tree line further back off the road.  Looks much nicer too.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4602 on: October 08, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »

Here we continue to go again!  Certainly counter protesters are going to come face to face again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/10/08/white-supremacists-say-rally-charlottesville-model-more-protests-across-south/744087001/

Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
Rail line between Ottawa Lake, Riga eyed
« Reply #4603 on: October 14, 2017, 11:41:34 AM »

This seems like an awful lot of (taxpayers) money for a rail bed that is already in place!  Never could figure out what the powers that be were thinking when they closed this stretch of rail in the first place.  Reading the article it still wasn't clear (to me at least) if this would actually connect clear to Blissfield.  Might be another $4-5M to do that later!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20171014/rail-line-between-ottawa-lake-riga-eyed

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4604 on: October 15, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »

I see the transition from Evening News to Morning News is complete....   

The first clue was removing "Evening" from the paper's title and then the deliveries coming earlier and earlier each day!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 315   Go Up