MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 373   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 289446 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #4875 on: February 03, 2018, 07:06:55 PM »

Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4876 on: February 04, 2018, 09:14:11 AM »

No snow on the roads for a few days so right on cue when it starts falling I heard a 'slide off' on 75 this morning.  So far it hasn't turned into a slipfest but I won't be surprised if it does.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4877 on: February 04, 2018, 09:30:03 AM »

The money is now starting to filter into the OEM coffers.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/2018/02/01/detroit-automakers-split-millions-takata-faulty-air-bags/110027460/

Another 20M vehicles will probably be added to the recall list in the next couple of years!

No word on when Ford is going to start replacing though :( :( :(

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4878 on: February 04, 2018, 09:51:53 AM »

And now someone has managed to roll their vehicle over on southbound 23 around the 7 mile marker!

Wherever they were hurrying to get to they're going to be much later than if they had just slowed down a little :( :( :(

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4879 on: February 04, 2018, 10:19:00 AM »

And now someone has managed to roll their vehicle over on southbound 23 around the 7 mile marker!

Wherever they were hurrying to get to they're going to be much later than if they had just slowed down a little :( :( :(

I have found that the people who truly drive horribly in the snow do drive very slow, and usually in the fast or middle lanes.

For the idiots who don't know how to drive in the snow the only safe speed is parked in the driveway.

I'm sure you know how not to wreck in the snow by NOT doing a few things.  The main one is don't plan on making any sudden moves - you just don't have the grip to manage it, and if you exceed that vastly reduced level of mu on each corner, your car is going to do something you don't want it to.

Oh yes - the ones that truly drive horribly in snow....  they also drive horribly on dry pavement, or in the rain, or in the fill in the blank.  They think they know how to drive, but they really really don't.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4880 on: February 04, 2018, 10:50:15 AM »

Yep, the worst drivers out this morning were the old ladies going half the speed limit in the left lane,  And eventually the impatient drivers made moves rather recklessly to get around them.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4881 on: February 04, 2018, 10:59:39 AM »

We had to go into Kroger last night to get a few things so my wife could make us some SuperBowl snacks for tonight.  When I parked the truck the car in front of me had left their tires turned all the way to the left so I could easily see that their front wheel drive car had zero tread left on the tires.  The only good traction there was left was where the broken steel belt was poking through.  I literally don't put tires like that on my wagons that are going to go maybe 15 mph top speed and don't have to pull or steer at all.

The car was not real old so I'd guess they've hit a curb or a pothole and have some parts either loose or bent.  It has to be a bear to be steering much less trying to get it to 'go' in the snow. 

Hint to anyone who sees a car parked in a lot with their tires turned like that...

don't park next to them.  They were obviously in a hurry going in so they may be in a bigger hurry when they are leaving.  They will have forgotten that their wheels are turned by the time they return and may plow right into whoever is parked next to them!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4882 on: February 04, 2018, 11:03:25 AM »

Well,  I don't park anywhere near other vehicles because there are so many people that don't care about anything..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4883 on: February 04, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »

The scanner has been busy most of the afternoon.

I was working in the basement and carrying stuff outside for the trash tomorrow so I was only catching bits and pieces of it.

A couple of crashes on 23 within just a few minutes of each other.  I checked Google maps and looked like the freeway was shut down both directions.

Now I see it looks like 75 north is shut down near the state line and again around Otter Creek.  Just heard Monroetown dispatched to a 3 vehicle crash on Laplaisance at 75.  One of the vehicles is a semi. 

Other chatter from up in Berlin but I don't know what that is yet.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4884 on: February 04, 2018, 05:38:17 PM »

Frenchtown was dispatched to some kind of an incident on 75 and I heard the dispatcher say something about a patrol car.  Too much other chatter and static to hear it real clear and they didn't repeat it.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4885 on: February 04, 2018, 05:45:54 PM »

Are there that many people driving around high now days?   Yeah there use to be a few fools drive like idiots in bad weather but it seems like the roads are full of them now.  People that have driven on ice and snow for awhile know it's not wise to drive fast and irradiate. But they still do it..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4886 on: February 05, 2018, 09:59:21 AM »

Over 80 vehicle crashes yesterday:  http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180204/at-least-80-accidents-reported-sunday-by-central-dispatch

One of the more time consuming ones happened on 75 northbound at the Welcome Center in Monroe Township.  The call came in as a jackknifed semi truck blocking 2 lanes of traffic.  Eventually there was info that the truck was leaking fuel to the point that haz mat procedures had to be put in place.  Then when the wrecker was on the scene attempting to move the truck they had to request a load of salt from the MCRC as the wrecker was just sliding! 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4887 on: February 05, 2018, 01:23:59 PM »

Over 80 vehicle crashes yesterday:  http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180204/at-least-80-accidents-reported-sunday-by-central-dispatch

One of the more time consuming ones happened on 75 northbound at the Welcome Center in Monroe Township.  The call came in as a jackknifed semi truck blocking 2 lanes of traffic.  Eventually there was info that the truck was leaking fuel to the point that haz mat procedures had to be put in place.  Then when the wrecker was on the scene attempting to move the truck they had to request a load of salt from the MCRC as the wrecker was just sliding!

IOW, had to take a break from doughnuts and coffee to salt what they should have in the first place...  I'm flabergasted to think that the MCRC would actually do it's job.  What a bunch of idiots.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4888 on: February 05, 2018, 07:54:30 PM »

IOW, had to take a break from doughnuts and coffee to salt what they should have in the first place...  I'm flabergasted to think that the MCRC would actually do it's job.  What a bunch of idiots.

The freeway had been shut down or down to one lane for several hours.  There was a diesel spill too so maybe they needed to salt where they had cleaned up the diesel.  I have no idea how the semi was jackknifed so don't know where the wrecker or wreckers had to be pulling from.  Maybe they were pulling from the shoulders where there hadn't been any salt.  No idea...

all I know for sure is the wrecker needed some salt!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4889 on: February 05, 2018, 08:24:33 PM »

More snow the rest of the week.  Have all the idiots wrecked or can we expect a repeat..
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 373   Go Up