MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 382   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 337455 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #5490 on: August 06, 2018, 08:19:08 PM »

I guess not all motorcycle guys are great drivers. I about collected one today with a passenger.  They weren't young kids either.  He was behind 2 vehicles taking both northbound lanes of Telegraph by the Northtowne Dodge/Jeep dealer. I decided I had enough time to make my left if I went quickly. About that time the idiot on the bike whipped into the center turn lane that I was in and decided to pass the vehicles in front of him. That was the first I saw him.

Another stretch that people ignore the double yellow lines is the 'turn lane' in front of Roselawn on the Dixie.  Way too often I see someone heading south just pull out into the left turn lane so they don't have to slow down for a car turning right (west) onto Swartz Road.

It's a left turn lane for funeral processions turning into Roselawn and it is a lot longer than a normal turn lane but it is clearly marked with double yellows.  I remember a very bad crash there many years ago with several children involved.  A lot of first responders were crying that night!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5491 on: August 06, 2018, 08:37:54 PM »

Ash Township is providing mutual aid to Huron Township on a structure fire.  I missed the original dispatch so not sure what is burning.  Exeter Township is now moving a truck to Ash's station so they must expect to be up in Huron for a while.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5492 on: August 06, 2018, 08:57:55 PM »

Cities and state should save their money and stop with the double yellow lines. They don't mean anything to 99% of the drivers, including cops.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5493 on: August 07, 2018, 08:48:29 AM »

Cities and state should save their money and stop with the double yellow lines. They don't mean anything to 99% of the drivers, including cops.

It's probably a liability issue.  If they have the road marked with double yellows and there's a crash at least they can say in court "we warned them"!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5494 on: August 07, 2018, 10:21:03 AM »

I watch people almost every day making left turns across double yellow close to intersections where they even have to cross the middle turn lane for the opposite direction then 2 more lanes of traffic. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5495 on: August 07, 2018, 10:31:43 AM »

I watch people almost every day making left turns across double yellow close to intersections where they even have to cross the middle turn lane for the opposite direction then 2 more lanes of traffic.

Several weeks ago we watched a crash happen right in front of us.  Heavy traffic and both drivers decided they were going to get into the 'accelerate and merge lane' (you know, the one in the middle that is marked left turn only).  The problem was they were heading into it from opposite directions and they hit almost head on.  They weren't going real fast but all the airbags blew.  I checked drivers for injury while others called 911.

I waited for the state police trooper to get there and when I explained they were both trying to get into the 'merge lane' he laughed.  He took my number but I haven't heard anything more so I'm guessing neither contested their ticket!!!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5496 on: August 07, 2018, 10:37:01 AM »

I certaintly don't know all the traffic laws but i'm pretty sure it's illegal to pull out of somewhere and drive in the center turn lane until you can merge into traffic

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5497 on: August 07, 2018, 01:48:46 PM »

Why I like country secondary paved 2 lanes.  No lines at all.  You just 'judge' the space.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5498 on: August 08, 2018, 09:45:58 AM »

Why I like country secondary paved 2 lanes.  No lines at all.  You just 'judge' the space.

We have several roads that really are not wide enough for two full sized vehicles to meet each other without one or both having to drive their right hand tires off onto the shoulder. 

I can see the dirty look (I have large rear view mirrors) from small and intermediate cars following me when I slow way down (sometimes to a stop if the shoulder is full of holes) and let opposing vehicles have my part of the lane.  Not only do I want to keep my vehicles in good shape but I have to do the repairs myself. 

Too many people in too big a hurry to get nowhere these days!!!

I'll never forget the first time I heard our youngest yell out the window at someone roaring around us when I did that one day years ago...

"You should have left sooner"!!!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5499 on: August 08, 2018, 11:46:54 AM »

We have several roads that really are not wide enough for two full sized vehicles to meet each other without one or both having to drive their right hand tires off onto the shoulder. 

I can see the dirty look (I have large rear view mirrors) from small and intermediate cars following me when I slow way down (sometimes to a stop if the shoulder is full of holes) and let opposing vehicles have my part of the lane.  Not only do I want to keep my vehicles in good shape but I have to do the repairs myself. 

Too many people in too big a hurry to get nowhere these days!!!

I'll never forget the first time I heard our youngest yell out the window at someone roaring around us when I did that one day years ago...

"You should have left sooner"!!!
Before they fixed Rauch it was that way for me visiting friends -

My wife laughed when I had a brand new car and "walkers" were going faster than we were! 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5500 on: August 08, 2018, 12:24:09 PM »

My wife laughed when I had a brand new car and "walkers" were going faster than we were!

The big issue is Rauch and several of the roads in this area were 'engineered' for a horse or team of horses and they've never really been improved beyond that.  There are safety standards that say how wide the driving lane should be and because of how narrow these roads are they can't meet those standards.  As they put in fill to 'raise' the roadbed so it will drain better then that tapers in at the top and makes the roadbed even narrower.  All the roads have a 66' RoW (yes, I'm sure there is an exception somewhere) so there is room to improve the road.  Years ago they dug the ditches and kept them close to the road so they could farm more of the right of way.  You still see that today.  The ditches need to be moved out farther onto the right of way and dug deeper   Along Rauch that was extra rough because the rock (Rauch = rock???) is right at the surface of the ground. 

All of that adds up to a lot more than just putting down a layer of asphalt and would be short lived anyway.

There were also political issues with Rauch as it is a township line road and it took 4 townships to reach and agreement and a cost share to finally do what they did. 

It also took an extra beating for those years that M-151 was so bad.  I would take Rauch rather than 151 and the rhytmatic bump--bump--bump!

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5501 on: August 08, 2018, 04:07:56 PM »

it all boils down to cost and how to allocate the few dollars that we get for roads. It's also about perspective.Some roads are dirt and they wish it was gravel. Some roads are gravel and they wish for blacktop. Some roads are blacktop but they are narrow and crowned and they wish for flat and wider. Some flat and narrow roads wish they didn't have so many potholes. Some wide smooth roads ***** that now they're racetracks. Maybe people should just sell there houses and move to a road of their liking !!!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5502 on: August 08, 2018, 08:22:24 PM »

it all boils down to cost and how to allocate the few dollars that we get for roads. It's also about perspective.Some roads are dirt and they wish it was gravel. Some roads are gravel and they wish for blacktop. Some roads are blacktop but they are narrow and crowned and they wish for flat and wider. Some flat and narrow roads wish they didn't have so many potholes. Some wide smooth roads ***** that now they're racetracks. Maybe people should just sell there houses and move to a road of their liking !!!

Our road was narrow and depressed in the center so it literally held the water in the road and that helped create a lot of the potholes.  It has been through the 'chip and seal' about 20-25 years ago.  This time they did cut along the edge and add 8-10" of width plus trying to give the edge of the road some more support.  Only time will tell if it will last.  And yes now that part of the road is smooth and crowned the water runs right off but the speeders are really getting would up when they come off the end of the smooth road. 

When they did our city water several years ago we're so close to the limestone that they had to trench across the road and into our yard.  It was just a few days before Christmas so the MCRC made them fill the very wide trench with that black soupy stuff that looks like watered down concrete.  Then since they couldn't get hot mix they had to use cold mix and then come back in the spring and dig it out and put in hot mix.  The irony is the spot where all those trenches cross the road along here have not settled a bit but the rest of the road has so now we have almost a speed table out there.  I've seen some cars get daylight under their tires and some tractors hauling machinery really get a ride. 

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5503 on: August 08, 2018, 08:36:46 PM »

How does that prevent potholes?

Maybe they will just move out of the country all together.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5504 on: August 08, 2018, 10:26:43 PM »

How long ago was it when you bought that new white Lincoln?
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 382   Go Up