MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 384   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 345096 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #5550 on: August 23, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »

"The entire issue of volunteering is taking a toll as the ages are increasing and not many youth are joining - across the entire country not here per se...   "

And Bedford losing a lot of vet fire fighters because they are tired of the good old boy BS. Appointing guys chiefs that can't even pass the EMT exam

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5551 on: August 23, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »

Why volunteer when you can get paid?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5552 on: August 23, 2018, 08:38:59 PM »

IN the news today Detroit mayor filing a lawsuit regarding unconstitutionally of Michigans nofault. And ants to give the state 6 months to get rid of it and come up with something that works without gouging people.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5553 on: August 24, 2018, 12:53:50 AM »

Why volunteer when you can get paid?
news flash...   volunteers get paid ;)   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5554 on: August 24, 2018, 12:54:49 AM »

IN the news today Detroit mayor filing a lawsuit regarding unconstitutionally of Michigans nofault. And ants to give the state 6 months to get rid of it and come up with something that works without gouging people.

Now that's a story I'd like to hear more about! 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5555 on: August 24, 2018, 08:11:51 AM »

"The entire issue of volunteering is taking a toll as the ages are increasing and not many youth are joining - across the entire country not here per se...   "

And Bedford losing a lot of vet fire fighters because they are tired of the good old boy BS. Appointing guys chiefs that can't even pass the EMT exam

As soon as you get more than one person in any type of a group (even marriage) there are going to be disagreements and various opinions about how to proceed with almost everything.  Members of the group form groups within the group and there can be some very bad feelings or even a total breakdown of the group. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5556 on: August 24, 2018, 09:36:33 AM »

As soon as you get more than one person in any type of a group (even marriage) there are going to be disagreements and various opinions about how to proceed with almost everything.  Members of the group form groups within the group and there can be some very bad feelings or even a total breakdown of the group. 
and that is why you need leadership vs voting on a leader by popularity

Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5557 on: August 24, 2018, 09:51:47 AM »

and that is why you need leadership vs voting on a leader by popularity

I don't ever recall any issues on the first department I was on.  There were only 7 or 8 of us at first and we were very involved and dedicated to a similar goal..  We got a lot of work done in a few years so there wasn't much time to fight.  We were also somewhat mentored by the adjacent township FD which we had contracted with previously for services for most of the township. 

That department had been around forever and had a very, very strong and long standing chief.  When he finally passed away he had been the chief of that department for almost 50 years.  He wasn't a physically big person but he was a good businessman and gave his heart to that township and village.  A strong leader for sure and he should have gone into politics but he wasn't looking for power or money.  He just wanted to have a good fire department for his neighbors.  Definitely a 'patriot'!!!

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5558 on: August 24, 2018, 09:56:37 AM »

Or maybe he enjoyed doing it.

Kind of like a hobby?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5559 on: August 24, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »

news flash...   volunteers get paid ;)

There's still quite a 'hodge podge' of how members in what are still considered 'volunteer' departments get compensated.  I guess if 'volunteer' means they work for nothing then those days are gone...   at least around here.  It means (to a point) that I can pick and choose which calls I go to then that is on the decline too from what I see.  When I was still active we had quite a few guys (we were just starting to get a few gals then) just wouldn't go to medical calls unless there was a vehicle crash involved.  I didn't like the BS calls...  minor wounds and pains here and there and that is what finally helped me decide to retire.  In the 'old' days a volunteer didn't have to do much but listen for the siren and go to the fire!  Then as more and more government regulations (at all levels) increased it became at the minimum a part time job and it definitely deserves a pay check! 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5560 on: August 24, 2018, 10:18:30 AM »

Or maybe he enjoyed doing it.

Kind of like a hobby?

No doubt he loved doing it.  I got to know him very well and he didn't have much in the way of any hobbies so yes that was probably his hobby.  It was definitely a lifelong love.  I only recall him taking a couple of vacations in all the years I knew him.  He actually had three sons and a daughter that he made sure would be there if he had to be gone.  They were all good firefighters in their own right. 

We had one bad headon crash with multiple fatalities and our 'jaws of life' wouldn't work to open one of the vehicles.  He also owned the local wrecker service so he was happy to show us the way "we used to do it".  Put one wrecker on the front and one on the back and started stretching on the vehicle until it opened up and let us get in and remove the last victim. 

I had borrowed an old dump truck one day for a pond I was digging.  It had a flat head ford V-8 engine in it and the left water pump started leaking.  I went down to see if he had one and he stood and scratched his head for a minute and then climbed way up to the top shelf.  He reached way back and grabbed a box and pulled it open.  Then he asked me again if I needed a 'left or a right' pump.  He had them both 'in stock'.  I wonder if those are still there of if the kids have tossed all that 'old' stuff?

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5561 on: August 24, 2018, 10:24:30 AM »

Probably tossed or recycled.

There is a fine line between pack rat Horder and smart for holding onto stuff.

Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5562 on: August 24, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »

Probably tossed or recycled.

There is a fine line between pack rat Horder and smart for holding onto stuff.

When it comes to historic and antique vehicles I don't think you can go wrong by holding onto brand new (often referred to NOS [New Old Stock] parts or anything else related. 

He had gone through at one point and labeled what all the old stuff was for but the fact it was on the top shelf said it was not something anyone asked for on a regular basis.

If I needed one today I'd call up there even before I got online to look up the part on https://www.rockauto.com/

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5563 on: August 24, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »

When it comes to historic and antique vehicles I don't think you can go wrong by holding onto brand new (often referred to NOS [New Old Stock] parts or anything else related. 

He had gone through at one point and labeled what all the old stuff was for but the fact it was on the top shelf said it was not something anyone asked for on a regular basis.

If I needed one today I'd call up there even before I got online to look up the part on https://www.rockauto.com/

Which explains my collection of car parts that no doubt someone will go ape **** over someday even though I don't ever see me using them.

So they take up space.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5564 on: August 27, 2018, 09:01:37 AM »

Which explains my collection of car parts that no doubt someone will go ape **** over someday even though I don't ever see me using them.

So they take up space.

After you're 'gone' your wife's new (and much, much younger) boyfriend will have little or no appreciation for them and probably have someone haul them all away to the scrap yard.

I've been slowly cleaning out some of my own stash in the barn and behind the barn and usually haul a load or two a year to the recycle shop.  I am absolutely in awe of some of the items I see that have been scrapped.  People are sure getting into this 'throw away society' we're moving towards.

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 384   Go Up