MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 374   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 307099 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #5355 on: July 09, 2018, 09:58:36 AM »

Right after I got out of the Army I worked in a marina that was one of the test centers for OMC (Evinrude & Johnson outboards and snowmobiles) 'lubricants' they were developing at the time.  At that time we were not allowed to call it "oil".  We had to be completely clear to everyone that it was a "lubricant". 

Prior to that most 2 cycle engines required 24 - 1 mixture of oil and gasoline.  Many people just used cheap old 30 weight and engines smoked like crazy and fouled out lots and lots of spark plugs. 

We would get an engine and cans of 'lubricant' and we would use the engine for whatever but it had to be run using that lube.  Some of them we'd run at 24-1, some at 50-1, some at 100-1 and we even ran a couple at 200-1.  When we were done with the 'test' we packed them up and shipped them back to OMC and they tore the powerheads down and inspected them.  Winter came around and we did the same thing with some snowmobiles. 

A couple of years later OMC came out with their OMC brands of 50-1 'Lubricant' which was rated TCW.  At the time there was no #1 after the TCW although now I think the TCW ratings go as high as a #3. 

Some of the forums I see some guys say that 'any' TCW3 brand is fine for a Stihl.  I'll buy the Stihl brand as long as I can find it and Agriparts is pretty close.

More in the Stihl pre mix bottles than oil.  Each bottle has a pre measured amount of stabilizer as well and I like the little bottles, very handy to use and store.  Baders in Tecumseh is a Stihl full line dealer too.  They have a much more extensive selection than agri-parts does.  Prices are about the same.

The Menards bar oil is pretty good too.  Much less expensive than the Stihl.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5356 on: July 09, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »

I didn't recognize that the Stihl oil had a stabilizer.  I'll have to look at mine.  Although the Seafoam has a cleaner additiive as well so maybe i can just cut that back to 1oz/gal.
All my stuff starts and runs really well with the Stihl oil and Seafoam.  And a new plug once in awhile.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5357 on: July 09, 2018, 10:19:53 AM »

More in the Stihl pre mix bottles than oil.  Each bottle has a pre measured amount of stabilizer as well and I like the little bottles, very handy to use and store.  Baders in Tecumseh is a Stihl full line dealer too.  They have a much more extensive selection than agri-parts does.  Prices are about the same.

Back during the same days we were working with OMC on their 'lubricant' we were also racing outboards on hydroplanes.  The oil of choice was raw castor oil.  I guess we were sort of 'going green' even back then.  An overwhelming smell too.  I haven't smelled that for years. 

Sanford lake is a man made lake made by damming up the Tittabawassee River.  One of the places we raced on the river had a very high bank so it kept the wind off the water itself.  The smoke would just languish and the smell just got deeper and deeper as the afternoon went on. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5358 on: July 09, 2018, 10:25:03 AM »

I got a 6 pak of the bottles for mixing into a gallon of fuel.  It was $14 and change.  I gave GW a $20 and I know he gave me back a $5 and some change.  I was looking at the last jug of bar oil I got there and the price is still written on it...   $14 and change.   Maybe that's the only number he knows :) :) :)

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5359 on: July 10, 2018, 08:00:08 AM »

They just broke into regular programming to say they had the last of the soccer boys plus the coach out of the cave in Thailand.

There are still rescue team members that have to get out yet though.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5360 on: July 11, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »

It was an amazing feat -  (movie rights coming soon)
The only death was a rescuer prior to the actual rescue start - during the learning phase.   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5361 on: July 11, 2018, 02:48:22 PM »

4 of the rescuers are still in there....  Not over with yet.  I see Elon Musk to his submersible there and left it.  Muck is quite a showman.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5362 on: July 11, 2018, 03:00:56 PM »

I got a 6 pak of the bottles for mixing into a gallon of fuel.  It was $14 and change.  I gave GW a $20 and I know he gave me back a $5 and some change.  I was looking at the last jug of bar oil I got there and the price is still written on it...   $14 and change.   Maybe that's the only number he knows :) :) :)

next time ask him if that price applies to a new Stihl MS250??? ;D

Interesting shop.  Usually I run into someone I know when I'm there.

I have a 50 year old 028 WB that I bought new (Stihl only made them for 2 years) that I had him put a new carb on).  He looked at the saw and said...  They don't build them like that anymore.  The newer ones are all plastic (I have a new MS) unlike the old ones that were all aluminum alloy die castings and Stihl gave into the noise police so the new ones are quiet and gutless.  First thing you do to a new Stihl is take a can opener to the muffler.

Only thing I DON'T like about the shop is his two tier prices, one for cash the other for credit cards.  That is BS, just like gas stations that do that.  Credit card purchases are part of doing business and portal fees are a business write off.  I know, I write them off every year.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5363 on: July 12, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »

As I drove by the accident scene today it was more obvious where the truck drove by the burnt out grass.  He couldn't have missed a telephone by more than a few inches. He  had to catch his mirror on the pole..  It's really to bad he didn't crash into the pole..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5364 on: July 12, 2018, 06:37:50 PM »

We woke up this morning to a house on fire down the road from us.  Fortunately the home had been vacant for a few months so no one hurt and no personal items lost but the home itself appears to be a total loss. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5365 on: July 13, 2018, 09:05:58 AM »

A lot of people in Michigan don't realize just how expansive and unsettled some of the area in northern Michigan and especially in the upper peninsula is.  This article talks about a small plane that crashed in 1997 and was just found a few days ago.  It was actually fairly close to St. Ignace but still went undetected for over 20 years.

https://www.mlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/07/c248e58dbb922/index.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5366 on: July 13, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »

As I drove by the accident scene today it was more obvious where the truck drove by the burnt out grass.  He couldn't have missed a telephone by more than a few inches. He  had to catch his mirror on the pole..  It's really to bad he didn't crash into the pole..

They've charged the truck driver:

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Local-Mom-speaks-out-about-the-loss-of-her-two-children-on-the-4th-of-July-488045681.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5367 on: July 13, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »

More on the plane that's been missing for 21 years and found near St. Ignace. 

http://upnorthlive.com/news/local/plane-missing-since-1997-found-in-mackinac-county

I'm patiently waiting for some accurate co-ordinates of where it was found.  They probably don't want a lot of sight seers just yet so keeping the precise location out of the news.  If anyone stumbles across it let me know.  I'd like to go hike into where it was just to see how isolated it was. 

From what I see so far all or most of the searching they did back when it went missing was done much more to the east.  When they didn't find a trace after 4 days it was probably an easy assumption that it had gone down in Lake Huron. 

What I've seen so far is that the pilot was relatively inexperienced and was flying into the fog.  He also sometimes had issues with vertigo which makes me wonder how he passed the physical for his license. 

A Canadian airport saw them on radar taking off and flying south and then doing a 180 back to fly north.  But the general location where they've found the plane is at least 50 miles to the west from where it took off from.  At the time there were reports of a small plane flying very low over I-75 near Castle Rock which would fit with where the plane was eventually found. 

It was a national forest worker that found it but there are thousands of acres of national forest in that area. 

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5368 on: July 13, 2018, 04:20:49 PM »

i saw a quick clip of the plane crash on TV11 last night.  And they weren't very specific either as to the location..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5369 on: July 13, 2018, 07:33:27 PM »

A lot of people in Michigan don't realize just how expansive and unsettled some of the area in northern Michigan and especially in the upper peninsula is.  This article talks about a small plane that crashed in 1997 and was just found a few days ago.  It was actually fairly close to St. Ignace but still went undetected for over 20 years.

https://www.mlive.com/expo/news/erry-2018/07/c248e58dbb922/index.html

It's very remote.  I've sledded up there a lot and you can go for miles and miles and not see anything alive on 2 legs.  Great place to get lost if you want to.
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 374   Go Up