MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 373   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 289156 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #5520 on: August 16, 2018, 08:15:48 AM »

On the Today show this morning they were reporting that researchers have found traces of RoundUp in various finished cereal products off the shelf at grocery stores.  This is the first indicator that the chemical stays intact all the way through the grain production process. 

Monsanto has pointed out that the amount found is within EPA provided 'safe' limits. 

I would like to be able to come back in 200 years (assuming there's anything left to come back to) and read the history of how we treated our time in charge of 'earth'!
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5521 on: August 17, 2018, 10:59:43 PM »

Telegraph south of Temperance Rd closed early Sept for 8 weeks to replace a culvert.  Really? 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5522 on: August 18, 2018, 09:50:27 AM »

Telegraph south of Temperance Rd closed early Sept for 8 weeks to replace a culvert.  Really?

8 weeks to replace a culvert?  They must only be planning on working on it for 4 hours every other day. 

Several months ago I mentioned about seeing inspection crews working on some of the bridges and culverts along Telegraph and that is one of the culverts I saw them inspecting.  It must be in rough shape for them to actually have to replace it. 

There's a lot of traffic that goes up and down Telegraph in a day.  Going to make for some interesting detours. 

There will be the posted detour that they want you to follow and for 'out of towners' and then there will be the detour people actually take. 

Might be a good time to set up a topless car wash out in back of Alcatraz!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5523 on: August 18, 2018, 10:44:33 AM »

Not familiar what the culvert carries but assume water from somewhere.  Often wonder why they don't cut open the roadway and drop in precast concrete pipe and pave over the same day.  Somebody did that on Jackman years ago at Bedford Hills to gain access to the course on the other side of jackman.   plenty of room in the culvert for 2 golf carts

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5524 on: August 18, 2018, 01:13:14 PM »

Not familiar what the culvert carries but assume water from somewhere.  Often wonder why they don't cut open the roadway and drop in precast concrete pipe and pave over the same day.  Somebody did that on Jackman years ago at Bedford Hills to gain access to the course on the other side of jackman.   plenty of room in the culvert for 2 golf carts

Google map shows a 'creek' and then a short distance south of there a much smaller waterway that does't have  name.  It literally passes under Telegraph and then travels north the short distance to the same 'creek' that is probably where the work will be done.  Back 80 or 90 or how many ever years ago didn't they connect the two then and save the need for a 2nd culvert?  I'm sure there's an engineering reason but that may not be a common sense one.

I remember when the golf course did that.  First off, it was a private concern doing the project so there was a sense of urgency and cost savings that doesn't exist necessarily on a government project.  We'll wait and see if this project is done by a state crew or a MCRC crew or a private contractor. 

Maybe they'll do both culverts at the same time or they'll divert the southern waterway on the west side of Telegraph and fill in the southern culvert. 

Lots of additional rules involved too when you're dealing with a waterway as opposed to a golf cart tunnel. 

It it's a creek there is one set of rules and if it's a regulated county drain then it's another set of rules.  They'll probably need help from the DNR and the DEQ and MDOT and who knows what other 'initials'!!!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5525 on: August 18, 2018, 01:52:31 PM »

Isn't it wonderful that our Government protects us in every way but what's really important to us,

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5526 on: August 19, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »

This is the culvert I'm guessing they're talking about.  I did see state inspectors working on it several months back.  By 'working' I mean there were 5 or 6 pickups with MDOT decals on the door all parked by the side of the road.  I suppose if they were actually working they would have been down under the deck and out of sight.

Link to aerial map.

.https://goo.gl/maps/y1be7rabJBC2

If you scroll south (down) just a few hundred feet you'll see the 2nd culvert.  I'm wondering if maybe they're doing something with both of them and that is why it will take so long.

Just a point of interest, the water from the southern culvert crosses under Telegraph, flows north that short distance and then under the railroad bridge.  Maybe the railroad figured out 'back in the day' that it would be cheaper to build one culvert than two.  And railroads maybe didn't follow the rules if it could save them a few $$$.

Another point of interest.  Move to the east (right for those of you that are navigationally impaired) and you'll see another culvert that appears to not really have anything there but trees and weeds.  Back in the early railroad days of the Pere Marquette line that was part of the Erie yard.  Siding with several storage and switching tracks and a major repair and maintenance facility.  There was even a roundhouse for turning Locomotives around. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5527 on: August 20, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »

I stopped and walked around for a few minutes on this culvert yesterday.  There are pipelines and maybe some buried cables that run parallel to 24 between the road and the railroad.  The pipeline is posted as carrying petroleum or related products.  Someone has recently been doing a lot of work just south of the culvert so it appears that there has been work going on in the area but it does't appear related to the culvert itself.  The culvert is not just a big tube but is a concrete 'box'.  Still seems like a long time to complete a replacement.  What shows on the map as a creek or ditch to the south is a very shallow ditch.  it might have some water in it during spring runoff but it's pretty dry now.  Lots of water in the creek through the curlvert to be replaced.  There are two orange barrels that have been on the bridge deck for some time but I thought they were related to the pipeline or whatever the project was just to the south.  Both barrels appear to be to keep an idiot from stepping in a hole in the deck.  I can see why they need to repair it before it gets worse.  I haven't seen the posted detour yet.  Not that I'll follow it but I'm just curious how many miles they're directing drivers around it.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5528 on: August 20, 2018, 10:46:18 AM »

That's what the culvert is at Bedford Hills.  A few big concrete boxes.  Telegraph obviously carries more traffic than Jackman Rd and heavier veh too.  There was a posted detour, maybe on MCRC facebook.  Im sure it mentioned Sterns Rd.  And then was a comment that Sterns road would probably receive some damage from increased heavier veh and require some rebuild after the detour ends

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5529 on: August 20, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »

MDOT will be completely closing Telegraph Rd (US-24) just south of Temperance Road ON SEPTEMBER 4th, to replace the culvert at Little Lake Creek. The estimated time frame is 8 weeks. Detour Information for Telegraph Road will be Sterns Road, M-125, and Luna Pier Road.
In preparation for this detour, MDOT’s contractor (Erie Construction) will be doing deep strength asphalt patching on Sterns Road between US-24 and M-125 next Friday and Saturday, August 24th and 25th, weather permitting. Sterns Road will remain open using flag control. Then after the entire project is complete Sterns Road will be evaluated for additional repair work from damage due to the detour traffic. M-125 and Luna Pier Road between US-24 and M-125 are State routes.

blue2

• Hero Talker

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5531 on: August 22, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »

Monroe County, 55 overdose deaths in 2016.  I wonder how high we'll 'soar' in 2018?

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/08/look_up_the_number_of_drug_ove.html

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5532 on: August 22, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »

Monroe County, 55 overdose deaths in 2016.  I wonder how high we'll 'soar' in 2018?

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/08/look_up_the_number_of_drug_ove.html

The real stats are missing -
repeat offenders that died
OD's saved by Narcan
Who prescribed the opoid
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5533 on: August 22, 2018, 11:26:58 AM »

And- How many people were arrested and charged with supplying drugs to the dead
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5534 on: August 22, 2018, 12:18:48 PM »

The real stats are missing -
repeat offenders that died
OD's saved by Narcan
Who prescribed the opoid

And- How many people were arrested and charged with supplying drugs to the dead

All excellent questions and comments.

I was surprised just to find the total number but also wonder if someone shouldn't have the 2017 numbers by now.  Kind of like looking back at ancient history to see these figures from 2016.  Maybe one of our local journalists can take these comments and 'run with a story'!!!

Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 373   Go Up