MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 318098 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #5625 on: December 06, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »

The bowling alley (Forest View) guy down in Bedford has taken bowling alleys to another level.  He has put in outdoor kitchens and dinning areas, ( not much good now) and a few dozen sand volleyball courts.  He has upgraded the indoor dining to a pretty high level. The food is great.  A few years ago he wanted to expand the bowling facility but the good old boys in Bedford wouldn't let him.  He has all kind of room for it  but I guess he wasn't buddies with the right guys.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5626 on: December 06, 2018, 10:48:38 AM »

Sounds like a good deal.  Close to Fuzz too.  Either than or another beanery. Moron has plenty of them.  That was a pretty big place with the retro 60's styling.  Urban renewal at it's best.  What needs to happen to the old Lazy Boy complex.  That would get Moron off their duffs about developing it, not that anyone wants it anyway.

I don't see much positive in Monroe today.

Hey they have a battlefield.

Whoooooopeeeeee!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5627 on: December 06, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »

A bowling alley with an Olive Garden on either end would do spectacular in Monroe.   And probably one in the middle, 'cause who wants to walk that far.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5628 on: December 06, 2018, 02:15:51 PM »

A bowling alley with an Olive Garden on either end would do spectacular in Monroe.   And probably one in the middle, 'cause who wants to walk that far.

How about an Olive Garden on one end and a Golden Corral on the other?

They can put a check cashing place in the middle.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5629 on: December 06, 2018, 11:20:11 PM »

A smaller version if any will start out - and a nice restaurant would be a centerpiece - 

bowling remains one of the few things that people do in groups - and socialize. 

I'll bet they are looking for investors ;)   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5630 on: December 07, 2018, 07:45:15 AM »

I'm sure the city will want a few studies to ensure that's the best use of the property before letting any rebuilding start.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5631 on: December 07, 2018, 08:23:08 AM »

A used car lot maybe?
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5632 on: December 07, 2018, 08:25:44 AM »

Monroe could probably use another  DG or drug store..  Those seem to be pretty popular..

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5633 on: December 07, 2018, 10:24:10 AM »

Mayor is already thinking about what they should permit the private property owner to do.
https://www.monroenews.com/news/20181207/mayor-nortel-property-great-potential

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5634 on: December 07, 2018, 04:51:57 PM »

I don't see where it's any of the mayor's business so long as it meets the zoning requirements.  Trouble with Monroe is too many people minding other's business.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5635 on: December 07, 2018, 05:05:25 PM »

The politicians have pretty well taken away the rights of average citizens.. We are to stupid to make decisions

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5636 on: December 07, 2018, 09:28:39 PM »

Mayor is already thinking about what they should permit the private property owner to do.
https://www.monroenews.com/news/20181207/mayor-nortel-property-great-potential

Uh huh.

Just like La-Z-Boy was a development boon because Monroe got the new HQ AND the Telegraph Property would be in great demand for development.

Hey - didn't the city just spend tax payers dollars to get answers that any 10 year old could have dreamed up for them on that property?

And still nothing going up?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5637 on: December 07, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »

I don't see where it's any of the mayor's business so long as it meets the zoning requirements.  Trouble with Monroe is too many people minding other's business.

The other problem is most of the "real" money people also died or left town years ago.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5638 on: December 08, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »

That 'Patsue' guy or whatever his name is, looks like  dork.

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5639 on: December 08, 2018, 09:10:34 AM »

There's probably a little more money left in town than you might believe but I think its a little more hidden away.   Certainly you see a lot less of the upper middle class and above around town.   A lot of the middle age people in that class are worried about paying for their kids' education and retirement and aren't willing to invest in non-liquid, riskier ventures like starting a business.   But a lot of them leave town once the kids are out of college too, because a lot of those kids don't come back here.    Its not just a "Monroe thing" either, a lot of the good opportunities just aren't in this region.   You need to go to one of the major metro areas and right now that shift is away from the midwest.   Its likely cyclic, remember people were moving to southeast Michigan in droves when the American auto industry was the big thing. 
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378   Go Up