MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 355133 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #5745 on: April 15, 2019, 10:08:05 PM »

What a shame.

How many wars did it survive?

I wonder how it got started.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190415-liveblog-fire-paris-france-notre-dame-cathedral

890+ years old.  Went quick, not surprising in as much as the wood framing was dry as a popcorn fart.  I read the French Government was considering rebuilding it.  I think they should take what is left to the ground and make a park there, in memory of.

I saw drone pictures of the inside, looked like a huge BBQ pit.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5746 on: April 16, 2019, 07:58:39 AM »

Cant imagine how much time and money it would take to rebuild what was there.. It wouldn't be the same with a rebuilt structure so why waste the money,  Billions!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5747 on: April 16, 2019, 10:00:08 AM »

Interestingly, the way it was constructed, the building is actually a bunch of smaller buildings inside called 'vaults' and each of the vaults has a stone roof so the burning roof above fell on the stone vault roof and not into the interior of the Nave which is basically intact,

The only place the vault roof is where the spire came down and interestingly, the spire was added much, much later, in the 1900's actually.  If the spire was never added, the vaults and the interior would have stayed largely untouched.

Man and his visions of making things 'better' actually made the outcome worse.

The deone footage shows the interior looking like a huge BBQ but in reality, the burning BBQ embers aren't inside, in reality they are laying on the stone vault roof's.  Ancient builders had their chit together.

Was it an accident or an act of terriorism?  Don't think it will ever come out.  Kind of coincidental that it's holy week, there is racial /ehtnic unrest in Paris and there are factions that would do that in a second.

Bottom line is, it will take billions and years to rebuild it and even if it is, where will the craftsmen come from.  We live in a throwaway plastic cell phone world now.  Artisans that built that structure don't exist today.

Why I say, take it to the ground and make a park out of it.  Something out society can do, rebuilding it, I don't believe so.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5748 on: April 16, 2019, 11:16:36 AM »

Bet it wasn't an accident and like you say French authorities probably won't identify the anti christian muslims that are doing this..
https://www.newsweek.com/spate-attacks-catholic-churches-france-sees-altars-desecrated-christ-statue-1370800.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5749 on: April 16, 2019, 11:47:37 AM »

I read a comment (on a Facebook account) by a person on the scene (that has probably been deleted) and they stated that just before 6:30 PM on the evening the fire started, the doors to the church were suddenly locked and no one was allowed in and soon after white smoke was observed coming up from around the spire...

Don't sound Kosher to me at all, but then, the real root cause will probably never come out.  France has an identity issue right now.  The Muslims are taking over.

Kind of surprised no Extremist group has claimed responsibility.  That may be coming...

Notre Dame represents the destruction of Christianity in the civilized world today and it's more prevalent in Europe than here but we are catching up, fast.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5750 on: April 16, 2019, 07:06:43 PM »

I saw drone pictures of the inside, looked like a huge BBQ pit.

The pictures I saw looked like the rock walls survived great - and many of the stain glass windows.

I read that some King several hundred years ago planted oak trees at Versailles - so if they needed the trees to re-do the roof they would be available.

That is what I call GREAT planning.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5751 on: April 16, 2019, 10:11:54 PM »

The pictures I saw looked like the rock walls survived great - and many of the stain glass windows.

I read that some King several hundred years ago planted oak trees at Versailles - so if they needed the trees to re-do the roof they would be available.

That is what I call GREAT planning.

The old builder planned for every eventuality (unlike modern builders).  The 'flying Buttress' design keeps the exterior walls from falling down.  It's an amazing building with it's sequestered vault design.  The vaults kept the burning roof up on top of their stone inner  roofs.  Only place it penetrated was there the 250 ton spire came  crashing though, and whether you know it or not, the spire was added in the 1900's not when the building was first built.  Was an add on in modern times and most of the weight of the spire was lead of all things.  The entire spire was wood framed and sheathed in lead.

Lots of fishing sinkers...lol

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5752 on: April 16, 2019, 10:13:03 PM »

The old ones planned for every eventuality.  Today we plan for nothing.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5753 on: April 17, 2019, 09:29:07 PM »

The old ones planned for every eventuality.  Today we plan for nothing.

You don't need to plan for anything when everything is a right.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5754 on: May 10, 2019, 07:59:16 AM »

Monroe County made the Weatherchannel News.

Yep - the Great Lakes are overflowing due to "Climate Change."

However - in my memory they said they were going to dry up.....

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-05-09-great-lakes-high-water-levels-flooding-new-york-ohio-michigan
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5755 on: May 10, 2019, 02:34:46 PM »

You don't need to plan for anything when everything is a right.

Let me rephrase that for you...

You don't need to plan for anything when the government will take care of you...

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5756 on: May 10, 2019, 02:38:27 PM »

Monroe County made the Weatherchannel News.

Yep - the Great Lakes are overflowing due to "Climate Change."

However - in my memory they said they were going to dry up.....

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-05-09-great-lakes-high-water-levels-flooding-new-york-ohio-michigan

Gave up on the Weatherchannel a while ago.  Stupid is as stupid does and they have too many ads anyway.  The lakes are high because of snowmelt and those idiots that built their homes up against the lake deserve to be flooded out.  Stupid is ans stupid does applies again.

All channels to Niagria Falls, open the floodgates and drain the bathtub.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5757 on: May 10, 2019, 09:24:46 PM »

Gave up on the Weatherchannel a while ago.  Stupid is as stupid does and they have too many ads anyway.  The lakes are high because of snowmelt and those idiots that built their homes up against the lake deserve to be flooded out.  Stupid is ans stupid does applies again.

All channels to Niagria Falls, open the floodgates and drain the bathtub.

I don't know if they "deserve" to be flooded out, but they sure as heck should have expected it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5758 on: May 11, 2019, 05:54:31 PM »

I don't know if they "deserve" to be flooded out, but they sure as heck should have expected it.

You get what you deserve.  Should have built those homes on pilings like the do on the outer banks, then there would be no issues.

I do cringe to think what their insurance premiums are if they can even get homeowners insurance.

Bet t's pretty 'musty' down that way....lol

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5759 on: May 11, 2019, 06:23:49 PM »

The government makes it so their flood ins is reasonable.  My brother in law and neighbors have a small ditch behind their houses out near Waterville Oh.  It has never overflowed but a couple of years ago they were all put in a floodplain and had to pay extra flood ins..
Pages: 1 ... 382 383 [384] 385 386   Go Up