MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Monroe St through downtown

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe St through downtown  (Read 5778 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Monroe St through downtown
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 10:11:15 AM »

No one left in "Parks and Recreation" - it was all outsourced...   

Eventually downsizing everything but the Police Department will have some effect - and you are starting to see it.

as far as the Calming Islands ...   you saw two DPS trucks but one was likely the supervisor.
Kind of the same structure of the Road Commission - nothing gets done without a supervisor to oversee it.

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 10:14:44 AM »

No one left in "Parks and Recreation" - it was all outsourced...   

Eventually downsizing everything but the Police Department will have some effect - and you are starting to see it.

as far as the Calming Islands ...   you saw two DPS trucks but one was likely the supervisor.
Kind of the same structure of the Road Commission - nothing gets done without a supervisor to oversee it.

Wouldn't all this work be like telling a 4 year old to 'color inside the lines' :-\ :-\ :-\
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 10:18:03 AM »

Other than the word "playscape" I would have thought you were describing our roads!!!

HAHAHA!!!  So true BRD, sad, but true.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 10:43:47 AM »

Running a roto-tiller is a dangerous job, especially with all the bike traffic zooming by...   

I hope they pay that much attention to the ones on N. Custer

They need to find salt resistant plants and trees
http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/special/seaside/gardening-salt-water-soil.htm
Plants That Tolerate Salty Soil

Trees That Tolerate Salty Soil

The following is only a partial list of trees that tolerate salty soil.  Check with your nursery for size at maturity and sun requirements.

Thornless Honeylocust
Eastern Red Cedar
Southern Magnolia
Willow Oak
Live Oak
Chinese Podocarpus
Sand Live Oak
Redbay
Japanese Black Pine
Devilwood
Shrubs for Salt Resistant Gardens

These shrubs are ideal for gardening with salt water conditions.  There are many others with moderate tolerance.

Century Plant
Dwarf Yaupon Holly
Oleander
New Zealand Flax
Pittosporum
Rugosa Rose
Rosemary
Butcher’s Broom
Sandwich Viburnum
Yucca
Perennial Plants That Tolerate Salty Soil

There are very few small garden plants that tolerate salty soil in high concentrations.

Blanket Flower
Daylily
Lantana
Prickly Pear Cactus
Lavender Cotton
Seaside Goldenrod
Moderately Salt Tolerant Perennial Plants

These plants may do well in your garden and sea salt or salt spray will not be a problem if they are well protected.

Yarrow
Agapanthus
Sea Thrift
Candytuft
Hardy Ice Plant
Cheddar Pinks (Dianthus)
Mexican Heather
Nippon Daisy
Crinum Lily
Mallow
Hens and Chicks
Hummingbird plant
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2014, 11:27:09 AM »

We have 'hens and chicks' (not the opium ones) in one of our flower gardens and they grow pretty good here.  Decent ground cover which I would think is the main thing they'd be interested in out there...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hen_and_chicks

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »

From the petition originator, Deb Owens:

This is the article that is in M.E.N. today, after it being ran prior to me speaking with them. However they did attempt to call once.But stated they were unable to return my call prior to running the article?

I would have hoped for a better article, or at least that our main concerns as residents regard safety would have been the focus, not just about parking and walkability ? I am waiting for return calls from Mayor Clark, Council Members, And the MDOT Engineer who I have been told is the one handling the State's part of the decision.

I would like to ask in the meantime we keep pushing for more votes also, also PLEASE CALL THE MAYORS OFFICE AND CITY COUNCIL MEMBERS and VOICE YOUR REASONS FOR FEELING THIS PLAN SHOULD BE STOPPED. !!! Below is contact list from Monroe City Gov. Website for Monroe City Council Members:

Clark, Robert   Mayor   
robert.clark@monroemi.gov   734-384-9144

Hensley, Jeffery, Councilman, 1st Precinct
jeffery.hensley@monroemi.gov   734-731-2957

Iacoangeli, John, Councilman 2nd Precinct
john.iacoangeli@monroemi.gov   734-646-6901

Molenda, Jeremy, Councilman, 4th Precinct
jeremy.molenda@monroemi.gov   734-731-4170

Rafko, Gloria, Councilwoman 5th Precinct
gloria.rafko@monroemi.gov   734-755-5891

Sisk, William, Councilman 6th Precinct
william.sisk@monroemi.gov   734-242-5083

Vining, Kellie, Councilwoman 3rd Precinct
kellie.vining@monroemi.gov   734-636-3389

Also MDOT ASST. Engineer Dave Boyd, who I was told is where the State's portion of the decision and paperwork lies now. His number is 810-225-2609 . Please make your voice heard !!!!

We would need him, the mayor and City Council Members to hear from as many residents by phone as soon as possible.

All contact info can also be found at: http://www.egovlink.com/monroe/staff_directory_info.asp?org_group_id=7

Thank you for all your signatures and comments, lets not give up now !!

Keep letting your voices be heard ! Thanks, Deb
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 08:55:35 PM by Monique »

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2014, 08:53:35 PM »

Article from MEN (can't seem to find it online--copied from email):

Petition wants traffic shift overturned
BY DANIELLE PORTTEUS
dportteus@monroenews.com

More than 1,100 people have signed an online petition against the reconfiguration of S. Monroe St. between Third St. and Elm Ave.

Last week, the Monroe City Council voted 4- 3 to approve the change from five lanes of traffic to three lanes.

The petition is on the Web site www.change.org. According to the site, the reason the petition was created was because people felt the change would “ impede traffic in downtown Monroe by creating a bottleneck and add to the congestion in traffic downtown on a daily basis.”

Those who signed the petition expressed concern over the road becoming backed up when I-75 traf­fic is diverted through town due to traffic crashes or road repairs.
“ We also feel there is sufficient parking for the current businesses operating in the downtown dis­trict,” the petition creator Deb Owens of Monroe writes. “ We do not agree that this change will make the community more walkable.”

People throughout Monroe County have signed the online petition, which had 1,124 signatures as of this morning.

In signing the petition, Jennifer Young of Monroe said she travels S. Monroe St. daily.
“ Traffic is bad enough with four lanes. I can’t imagine only two and a turn lane,” she wrote. “I’ll have to go a different way to work.”

Katherine Whiteaker called Monroe St. “extreme­ly busy” and said reducing lanes and adding park­ing will only add to the congestion. “ We should be looking for ways to facilitate the increased traffic flow not slow it down,” she wrote.

The petition could have little impact on the de­cision, which now rests with the Michigan Depart­ment of Transportation.

A council member who voted in favor of the plan could have the reconfiguration brought back to the council for a vote if that person has reconsidered.

Councilman William Sisk, who said initially he was against the plan, voted in favor of the recon­figuration. On Tuesday, Mr. Sisk said that he would wait until the city hears from MDOT on the plan before making any decisions. “I want to see what the professionals have to say,” he said. “It’s their road.”

“ We do not agree that this change will make the community more walkable.”
— Deb Owens
Who initiated online petition

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2014, 10:52:17 PM »

When Twichardville rams the gas tax hike through, 'walkable' will make a lot of sense.....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »

Just curious if the new design includes a bike lane as well...  after all it's only a painted line.
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2014, 06:52:42 AM »

When Twichardville rams the gas tax hike through, 'walkable' will make a lot of sense.....

I saw a nice article in The Blade earlier this week about how they're making Port Clinton more 'walkable'...

they're doing it by making the sidewalks bigger and more appealing and making the streets narrower :o :o :o

Funded by a grant from ODOT... it was a couple of million $$$...  must be they have plenty of money in their road repair fund so now they can give grants to help downtowns draw more people!

I'll see if I can find an online link

Debimark

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 06:57:10 AM »

Yes, we need a Bike Lane.............and a pretty concrete-curbed island with dirt and weeds and dead tree plantings. Yes, we MUST have a Bike Lane.

....does anyone else picture the late Stephen Stucker (Johnny on Airplane!) at a Press Conference describing this project to the media...........

"...and there are islands with tall pretty weeds, and beautiful striped bike lanes that nobody uses.....and 20 on-street parking spaces for people who don't shop downtown, it's a fabulous plan..."

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2014, 07:50:07 AM »

I saw a nice article in The Blade earlier this week about how they're making Port Clinton more 'walkable'...

they're doing it by making the sidewalks bigger and more appealing and making the streets narrower :o :o :o

Funded by a grant from ODOT... it was a couple of million $$$...  must be they have plenty of money in their road repair fund so now they can give grants to help downtowns draw more people!

I'll see if I can find an online link

Link to above:  http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2014/06/12/City-project-assisted-by-ODOT-s-2-35M-for-repairing-streets.html

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2014, 08:03:07 AM »

Ohio has a huge advantage with the turnpike system - all those funds paid for by travelers...  allowing more funding for other projects from the regular budget.

Monroe years ago did this on the cross streets, and it has allowed for some outside room.    Not sure what businesses directly on Monroe St would benefit from this - but I guess if we had more "FLOWERS" in the floral city...  I'd support that part.
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2014, 02:32:20 PM »

I wonder what the cost was for THAT?

The cost just went up this afternoon...

I was driving home that way just to see what a good job the DPW crew did and to take a couple of pictures to post here (hey, I posted the weedy ones so I have no problem posting the 'improved' ones)...

the street sweeper was there going around the islands and getting right up close to make sure he didn't miss a single weed ;) ;) ;)  If he swept that carefully through the rest of the city he'd only do about 4 blocks a day :o :o :o

I'll post pictures after I get them out of the camera.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up