MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Kayaking the River Raisin

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kayaking the River Raisin  (Read 3471 times)

Tinytim

• New Talker
Kayaking the River Raisin
« on: May 31, 2014, 05:42:04 PM »

Today we kayaked the River Raisin from Dundee to Monroe.  I thought one of the damns that was supposed to be removed was the damn West of Ida-Maybee Road (Its still there).  The damn bypass at Veterans Park needs some work.  The water is too shallow and our kayaks got hung up numerous times on the huge boulders along the bypass.  At one point my kayak was hung up crossing the entire bypass.  At the end of the bypass there is two huge boulders in the way that you can't go over or in between.  It would be nice if there was some type of boat launch at Veterans Park, the retaining walls are to high to step out of a kayak or probably a canoe without flipping it.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: Kayaking the River Raisin
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 06:37:49 PM »

I think I may have seen you and your wife enter the bypass....were you both wearing straw hats?  You were the first I've seen enter it and try to go around it.

My guess is that it will only be passable without portage at high Spring pool, or after several days of rain to raise the river higher than it currently is.  The bypass is designed at the same height of the dam so that the water level in the pool behind it does not lower it any further than the dam will allow.

I've enjoyed seeing more folks kayaking the river, I've seen more so far this year than any other before.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »

'''all that water around your vessel and you can't drink any of it"....................
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 07:30:02 PM »

What river that has farmland drainage in the US can you drink out of?  All of the heavy contaminates are down at the mouth, but only farm chemicals upriver.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »

What river that has farmland drainage in the US can you drink out of?  All of the heavy contaminates are down at the mouth, but only farm chemicals upriver.

Closer to the city water intake.....

Sure about that?  Seems to me that every population center upstream dumps their treated  (and untreated overflow) wastewater in the river....  I think there is more than nitrogen and urea in the water, maybe fecal bacteria.

You can (drink) the Tionesta in Pa with a bit of sofium hyperchlorite of course.........

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »

Farm Chemicals and whatever Adrian, Blissfield, Dundee, Petersburg, and Monroe dump in it.....  and everyone in between.....
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 07:55:10 PM »

Again, what river running through agricultural areas that have small towns that have street and sewer runoff getting into it at times is there besides, well, I guess the Tionesta?

We have drank polluted water all our lives......hell, raw sewage dumped into most rivers when we were kids.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 08:37:45 PM »

I was in a community meeting......  where one of the older, learned gents of the community told us the dams were put into the Mighty Raisin to keep water in it year around.....  to cut down on the stench......  because the communities drained everything they didn't know what to do with down it.

I am sure this was standard operating procedure during the day, and not just for the Mighty Raisin for sure.

I am curious how the fish counts up stream are coming along.

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 08:43:10 PM »

I spoke with a Lansing DNR official last week for about an hour or so.  We had been exchanging emails about the river project and the DNR's support efforts.

We agreed to disagree on a few items, but in all fairness the actual bypass around Veteran's Dam has only been opened for fish travel for a matter of weeks now.  They expect more small mouth to come up, and possibly some walleye and are going to take another fish count in a year or so to measure the progress (I saw them doing that up here two years ago).

What I have noticed is many more fisherman, and fish being taken out in the pools below the dam and my bet is that is a result of the other dams being taken out and allowing fish to come further up now.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 09:40:57 PM »

Again, what river running through agricultural areas that have small towns that have street and sewer runoff getting into it at times is there besides, well, I guess the Tionesta?

We have drank polluted water all our lives......hell, raw sewage dumped into most rivers when we were kids.

I know, but today, you supposedly get terminally ill from getting a fart crossways.....  just say'in.

BTW, I used to fly fish the Tionesta years ago and drink it.  Could be what caused me to go bald.....

but....  back in the day I put used motor oil on the road to keep the dust down too.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »

Off topic, but ya know it is amazing the life expectancy across this planet understanding that for decades we all practiced on an everyday basis things that nowadays most people wouldn't even think of doing.  I guess that's called balance.

I've fly fished some pretty pristine rivers and drank many a hand full of water.....back in the day I did it too, with probably more now known carcinogens than I'd like to imagine.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 11:27:51 PM »

Off topic, but ya know it is amazing the life expectancy across this planet understanding that for decades we all practiced on an everyday basis things that nowadays most people wouldn't even think of doing.  I guess that's called balance.

I've fly fished some pretty pristine rivers and drank many a hand full of water.....back in the day I did it too, with probably more now known carcinogens than I'd like to imagine.

...and we are still here.  I remember back in high school, beating on the steam pipes and 'making it snow' asbestos flakes....  I'm still here and still smoking.  Go figure.  I spent the better part of 5 years when I was younger, painting UPS trucks with catalyized polyurethane (isocyanates) and never wore a resperator or face mask....  I'm fine or at least I appear to be.....

It's the 'mommy' train of thought today.  Everyone needs a mommy to protect them....(aka:  OSHA, DOT, ICC, FMVSS and every other 'mommy' agerncy.

Like the Toyota floor mat scenario....  The floor mat made the car accelerate.....  brain dead idiots

Thats off topic too....

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »

My favorite swimming holes are (were?) abandoned stone quarries.

Loved the one off of Dixon Road.  You could do Rock Diving off of that one....

Nice clean water in those......
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 11:01:27 PM »

My favorite swimming holes are (were?) abandoned stone quarries.

Loved the one off of Dixon Road.  You could do Rock Diving off of that one....

Nice clean water in those......

We used to swim at Jaquay quarry in Columbia Station, Ohio when I was a kid.  We had a rope out over the quarry so you could swing out and dive in.  Was about 90 feet deep and colder than an icebox and you could see way down, the water was crystal clear.

Problem with quarries is there is really no shallow place to get in or get out.

They fenced it off after some clown did a swan dive in a jeep one night.

Was always nekked swimming.....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 02:10:49 AM »

As bad as we all think the Raisin is you only have to look north as far as Midland to see three that are much worse off...

The Pine due to recently discussed catastrophe from the cattle feed mixup in St. Louis and the Tittabawassee and onto the Saginaw River due to many, many years of pollution from Dow Chemical :( :( :(
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up