MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > 6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area

Poll

Open soon seems to last forever around here -   Which will open "First"...  

Public House Food and Drink   N. Monroe Street
- 16 (59.3%)
Marwin's - S. Telegraph
- 5 (18.5%)
R Diner - S. Monroe Street
- 4 (14.8%)
Monroe Grill - S. Telegraph
- 0 (0%)
Sonny's - W. Front Street
- 0 (0%)
Sports Bar - N. Dixie Hwy
- 2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: August 29, 2014, 12:55:43 PM

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area  (Read 70437 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area
« on: June 30, 2014, 12:55:43 PM »

6 new places to eat around Monroe...

Which one will be the first to actually open?

Big Boy - Redo to Public House Food and Drink
Schnitzel - Redo to  Marwin's
RDiner - updated info - opening soon - end of summer now
Monroe Grill - on S. Telegraph - opening soon - end of summer now
Sonny's food and spirits - Front Street downtown - opening soon
Bob Evans location on N Dixie - "yet unnamed" Sports Bar - opening Dec./January

6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area

PUBLIC HOUSE FOOD AND DRINK #The Big Boy at 138 N. Monroe St. had been run by his family since 1974, but owner George Darany (along with Fred and Jackie Corser) thought it was time for a change. #“We wanted to go back to the basics,” Mr. Darany said, adding that the new trend in restaurants is to have fresh ingredients from local sources. #That’s the idea behind Public House Food and Drink, which is slated to open soon, he said. The restaurant will serve American comfort food, and everything will be made from scratch. #The menu will include break­fast, lunch and dinner, featuring dishes such as burgers, pulled pork and chicken pot pie. Mr. Darany also has applied for a tavern license so he can serve domestic and craft beer and wines. #
MARWIN’S #Marwin’s gets its name from the combination of its owners’ names: Kim Maracle and Jennifer Irwin. #The two believe their combined 40 years of experience in customer service — along with a signature steak dish — will make the restaurant stand out when it debuts sometime in August, Ms. Irwin said. Marwin’s, 546 S. Telegraph Rd., (former Schnitzel) also will serve roasted chicken and homestyle meatloaf and mashed potatoes. #“We will incorporate a hometown feel and inviting atmosphere,” she said. #That feeling will be accomplished with rustic décor, as well as black-and-white photos capturing the history of Monroe, Ms. Irwin said.
#R DINER #Tony Sacco will be taking a step away from the pizza oven to add R Diner to the list of “good food options in town.” #R Diner will serve homestyle breakfast, lunch and dinner. #The founder of Tiffany’s Pizza said unique food items, such as chicken and waffles and a Southwest omelet, will make the diner noteworthy. #Although the renovation process has been slow, Mr. Sacco said he hopes to open the establishment by the end of summer. It will be located at 723 S. Monroe. advertisement #
MONROE GRILL #Masoud Shango hopes Monroe Grill will fill the food void on S. Telegraph Rd. in Monroe Township between W. Dunbar Rd. and W. Seventh St. “It’s a very good location,” Mr. Shango said. “ There’s no other restaurants over there.” #Mr. Shango owns the plaza on 1050 S. Telegraph Rd. where the new restaurant will open. It will feature fresh, American-style food and is expected to open in September. #
SONNY’S #Despite experiencing setbacks in 2013 during renovations, Danielle Jones hopes to make Sonny’s Food & Spirits the new face of downtown Monroe. #“Monroe needs something better to bring people to the city.” #When it opens on W. Front St., Ms. Jones will bring some of the recipes from her Zoup! franchise in Novi while adding some new things. #She wants to keep the menu a secret until Sonny’s opens, but she said the restaurant will offer a little bit of everything. Sonny’s also will host live entertainment. #
NEW SPORTS BAR #An upscale sports bar will be opening just off N. Dixie Hwy. this winter at the old Bob Evans location. #The restaurant will be operated by Angelo Tsipis, who runs Northwood Villa in Erie, and his son. #Although still lacking a name, the bar will offer hamburgers, steaks, Italian food and seafood, as well as craft beer, Mr. Tsipis said. #Being right off of I-75, Mr. Tsipis said the sports bar is in a great location. He expects it to open in December or January.

Read more at: http://www.monroenews.com/news/2014/jun/30/6-new-restaurants-planned-monroe-area/
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Flanders

• Hero Talker
Re: 6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 12:59:55 PM »

I vote Public House.  And it's a welcome change! Big Boy was getting pretty nasty and prices were only going higher.  I don't think you can get much more local than having the area's Farmer's Market right behind their restaurant.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:08:52 PM »

I met the "young" ladies who are opening Marwin's - and they said it's getting close,
     EXCEPT -
jumping through all the hoops from the City.

Who know's?

I told them don't put up an "Open Soon" sign  it's a guaranteed 6 month delay  ;D
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »

Are they hot?
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »

I met the "young" ladies who are opening Marwin's - and they said it's getting close,
     EXCEPT -
jumping through all the hoops from the City.

Who know's?

I told them don't put up an "Open Soon" sign  it's a guaranteed 6 month delay  ;D

We took Telegraph yesterday while avoiding Monroe Street and saw they did have a sign up in the front window "Now Hiring" ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »

I realize these are all 'new businesses' however the only one that will actually be creating a 'new' physical location is the place on Telegraph that's building the heli-pad on their roof ;) ;) ;)

Everything else I believe is going into a location that had some type of a food place there before, most of which have closed during the 'recession' >:( >:( >:(

Where exactly is Sonny's going in on W. Front street?  I guess I'm just assuming it's where there was a prior eatery location? 

There are Sonny's BBQ locations all over the southern states so when I saw the name I kind of wondered if our Monroe Sonny's would be doing BBQ?!

http://www.sonnysbbq.com/locations

Naturally the one I'm most looking forward to is the one that is the most distant from me and it's the one that will (maybe) be the last to open.  The food is always good at Angelo's Northwood Villa so I don't have any doubt it will be good at the son's operation too!

I'm looking forward to giving each of these places at least one try as soon as they open ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »

I truly wish the best of luck to all of these future restaurant hopefuls, but am I the only one that thinks that most of these will fail?

How many restaurants - big and small - have come and gone lately?

Remember Johnny Rockets?  Big name.  Big money.  Fell flat on their face.

There's a LOT of competition in Monroe.  To be opening a new restaurant in this economic climate is gutsy, at best.  I hope the owners have a backup plan.

But I do wish them luck.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:47:42 AM »

I truly wish the best of luck to all of these future restaurant hopefuls, but am I the only one that thinks that most of these will fail?

How many restaurants - big and small - have come and gone lately?

Remember Johnny Rockets?  Big name.  Big money.  Fell flat on their face.

There's a LOT of competition in Monroe.  To be opening a new restaurant in this economic climate is gutsy, at best.  I hope the owners have a backup plan.

But I do wish them luck.

R diner has 'deep pockets' it sounds like...

The guy opening the heli-pad diner on Telegraph owns the whole plaza so I'm thinking he may have somewhat deeper pockets than many startups.  It doesn't appear that he's rushing to get open so he may be just installing equipment and doing the building alterations as he has time and money (it obviously isn't in any hurry).  Makes me wonder if a building permit expires? 

I would guess Angelo's son has some fairly good backing.  I assume the building is still owned by Bob Evans' and I doubt they'd lease and allow all the changes without someone being pretty financially solid. 

The biggest thing I remember about Johnny Rockets is the local operators also seemed to have a pretty big 'ego'...  They seemed to feel the people of Monroe owed them the 'high price' for what they were providing...  We only went a couple of times and both times the food was overpriced and the service was just average...   other than the staff doing their little dance routine...  which was 'unique' the first time but by the 2nd time it was somewhat distracting....    especially when you're waiting impatiently for your dinner and your server is up front dancing :( :( :(

I agree, it's going to be tough for all of them to get a foothold in good ol' Monroe but we will try to get in and support them all!

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »

Sonny's is on the ground floor of the old Fox Club/ Jay's BBQ building or at least right in that area. I believe it's a new space.

I wish them all luck. I'm most concerned about the old Big Boy. The article says it has the same owners and in order for them to succeed they're going to have to completely change the way they did business. In fact in my opinion Big Boy is what kept them in business as the restaurant was filthy, meals were cold and service wasn't great. Toast that can't melt butter and cold eggs doesn't exactly create return business. I'm hopeful though Monroe lacks a great breakfast place.

naomi43

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »

Yeah, not to sound negative but....how long will
they last once they do open?

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »

Monroe is a strange market.  How places like Michigan Bar & Grill and Dolce Vita are packed every night is beyond me.  I swear MB&G's menu is nothing but a reprinted Sysco brochure.

But I wish these guys the best.  I think Blue's is doing pretty good for themselves as they have opened a pretty successful new location downtown.  The line was out the door on one of their "jazz nights".  So all hope is not lost for a new establishment!  Good Luck!!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 12:35:16 PM »

LOL.....the Michigan Bar and Grille war again.  I hope that brings some old posters back on to debate.

Personally....never thought the quality of the food was quite worth the money, same as Johnny Joe's, TGIF, Applebee's, and Red Lobster has slid way down my scale.

Now Dolce Vita......I've had to have a bad meal in there yet be it their Italian dishes or the Suchi side.  Upscale environment, good service from my experiences, and good food.  That I believe is one of the missing elements of the Monroe area,,,,,,upscale dining with great food and great service.  I will pay a few bucks more for a meal in exchange for ambiance and food quality.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 12:41:12 PM »

Flanders I couldn't agree with you more.

And I'm with you Naomi. I almost didn't post my original thought but I decided maybe it could be used as constructive criticism. Besides it wasn't a mystery they lost many loyal and long time customers due to these issues. Up your game, hold your employees and yourself responsible and I see no reason why it can't be a very successful restaurant. It's a great location!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 11:47:24 PM »

I heard the former Big Boy - all employee's were let go and told they must re-apply and it was open to all for jobs...   trying to stir things up and maybe get new people/better service.

Angelo's place will be interesting - as I also enjoy his dining establishment.

Sometimes the "staff" is the key component to success, as you can offer great food but if the service is bad - you won't get repeat customers.
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 09:01:24 AM »

I understand the same philosophy applies to the world's oldest profession too.   ;)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40   Go Up