MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > 6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area

Poll

Open soon seems to last forever around here -   Which will open "First"...  

Public House Food and Drink   N. Monroe Street
- 16 (59.3%)
Marwin's - S. Telegraph
- 5 (18.5%)
R Diner - S. Monroe Street
- 4 (14.8%)
Monroe Grill - S. Telegraph
- 0 (0%)
Sonny's - W. Front Street
- 0 (0%)
Sports Bar - N. Dixie Hwy
- 2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: August 29, 2014, 12:55:43 PM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area  (Read 70433 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: 6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »

The City of Monroe is in the dark ages on Electronic Changeable signs - and apparently they want to stay there forever.

Maybe Custer will come back someday and then they will change their mind on them.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »

Public House opened this past weekend.  We had lunch there on Sunday.  The food and service was good, but I thought the menu, especially for dinners, was a bit limited.  Hopefully it gets expanded.  That being said, I would go back.

Glad to hear that ell...

we'll give 'em a try...

we went looking for them to be open one evening last week but they were't quite there yet ;) ;) ;)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 11:36:33 AM »

The City of Monroe is in the dark ages on Electronic Changeable signs - and apparently they want to stay there forever.

Maybe Custer will come back someday and then they will change their mind on them.
I know that they denied the billboards on Telegraph when Adams Outdoor Advertising wanted to convert them to jumbotrons...and that was a good denial.
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 11:38:02 AM »

Public House does have a website:

http://www.publichousemonroe.com/

There are actually quite afew 'Public House' restaurants around the area and the country...

never realized it was such a popular name...

anyone know if the one in Monroe is connected to any of these others ??? ??? ???

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow=1&site=&source=hp&q=public+house+restaurant&oq=public+house+restaurant&gs_l=hp.3..0l6j0i10j0j0i10j0.3540.8408.0.18157.23.20.0.3.3.0.204.1903.11j6j1.18.0....0...1c.1.49.hp..2.21.1950.Mlkdx1Apa2s
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »

I thought Public House was an odd name for a family restaurant...sounded more like a soup kitchen!
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »

I thought Public House was an odd name for a family restaurant...sounded more like a soup kitchen!

The one in Chattanooga sounds pretty upscale...

maybe we can talk the eriemermaid into checking it out if she's still in Chattanooga ;) ;) ;)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2014, 11:47:45 AM »

I know that they denied the billboards on Telegraph when Adams Outdoor Advertising wanted to convert them to jumbotrons...and that was a good denial.

I don't disagree with that Brian.

I'm talking about the smaller changeable signs that are a staple in most communities now.

Nope - Monroe still wants you to trudge out and change the letters on a pole - or you can have snow up to your waist.

That is better somehow better in City Councils viewpoint.

However - hire an enforcement officer to actually uphold the sign code?  Nope.  Not going to do that either.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2014, 11:49:10 AM »

The one in Chattanooga sounds pretty upscale...

maybe we can talk the eriemermaid into checking it out if she's still in Chattanooga ;) ;) ;)
The one here has definitely been improved aesthetically from what you can see from the road driving by!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 11:53:42 AM »

I'm pretty sure the "Public House" name is of European origins....

BRD - Erie - you guys didn't see them around Europe? 

I seem to remember a few.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »

I don't disagree with that Brian.

I'm talking about the smaller changeable signs that are a staple in most communities now.

Nope - Monroe still wants you to trudge out and change the letters on a pole - or you can have snow up to your waist.

That is better somehow better in City Councils viewpoint.

However - hire an enforcement officer to actually uphold the sign code?  Nope.  Not going to do that either.
Enforcement is the problem!
Some with legal changeable message signs still refuse to follow the rules, like only changing once per hour. On weekends they have them scrolling or flashing, and that is distracting to drivers, and is one of the main reasons for the strict rules.
They were also not welcome in the more "historic" areas. Not to compare Monroe to anyplace else, but you don't see these signs in most historic cities, except in the more commercial areas, like Telegraph here!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2014, 08:58:03 PM »

I think just one of those jumbotrons should be allowed and it can only run 2 advertisements.  One for the Hot Dog Cart, and the other from LZBoy showing a baby laughing then switch to a picture of the headquarters and then a thank you Monroe statement congratulating them on 8 new janitorial jobs added to the local payroll.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2014, 09:01:16 PM »

Enforcement is the problem!
Some with legal changeable message signs still refuse to follow the rules, like only changing once per hour. On weekends they have them scrolling or flashing, and that is distracting to drivers, and is one of the main reasons for the strict rules.
They were also not welcome in the more "historic" areas. Not to compare Monroe to anyplace else, but you don't see these signs in most historic cities, except in the more commercial areas, like Telegraph here!

So - it was proposed that way - and they didn't want to do even that.

Kind of a waste of time to work on a sign ordinance in this town if you ask me.

One - they are afraid to do anything.  Two - even if they do, they won't enforce it anyway.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2014, 09:03:07 PM »

Here in Summerfield Twp.  We have a specific sign ordinance that addresses electronic signage and how many times per time segment the message can change.... and we enforce it.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2014, 07:14:02 AM »

Public House opened this past weekend.  We had lunch there on Sunday.  The food and service was good, but I thought the menu, especially for dinners, was a bit limited.  Hopefully it gets expanded.  That being said, I would go back.

My wife and I looked over the menu last night.  You're right about it being limited for dinner!  I think the first time I go in I'll order a Mac & Cheese dinner with a side of 'Mac & Cheese' ;) ;) ;)

The cedar planked salmon sounds good...

I wonder if those salmon will be fresh from the River Raisin ??? ??? ???

I saw a whole truck load of cedar logs go by yesterday...   

must be they ordered a lot of those cedar planks 8) 8) 8)

Somehow the 'blood orange' san pellegrino water just does not sound appealing to me...  maybe on a full moon night it will be popular in Monroe though ;) ;) ;)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2014, 07:27:22 AM »

Here in Summerfield Twp.  We have a specific sign ordinance that addresses electronic signage and how many times per time segment the message can change.... and we enforce it.

Imagine that - enforce it.

How hard is it to video tape the sign changing and write a ticket?

Oh - I forgot.  The inspector lives in Dearborn.  He isn't around and everyone knows it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40   Go Up