MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > 6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area

Poll

Open soon seems to last forever around here -   Which will open "First"...  

Public House Food and Drink   N. Monroe Street
- 16 (59.3%)
Marwin's - S. Telegraph
- 5 (18.5%)
R Diner - S. Monroe Street
- 4 (14.8%)
Monroe Grill - S. Telegraph
- 0 (0%)
Sonny's - W. Front Street
- 0 (0%)
Sports Bar - N. Dixie Hwy
- 2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: August 29, 2014, 12:55:43 PM

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]   Go Down

Author Topic: 6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area  (Read 66918 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: 6 New Restaurants Planned In Monroe Area
« Reply #570 on: December 01, 2018, 09:58:48 AM »

You think the food at GC is farm fresh, organic, non-gmo, whatever?

Not really, but we might go there once a year.  We aren't eat out people in the first place.  Chicken is basically chicken.  There are only 2 poultry slaughter houses in the US.  Broken Bow and one in north Texas.  95% of the processed chicken come from them.  Chicken is raised on mega farms, just like turkeys.  They get fed bulk grain and minerals so it's all 'farm fresh' whatever that means.  Farm fresh is advertising hype, nothing more.  I used to haul chicken from Broken Bow, I know what transpires with it before it gets to the supermarket or distribution entity.  If you knew half the crap that goes on with food, you'd probably quit eating anything.

I find non GMO laughable just like farm fresh.  All advertising hype, nothing more, especially with bulk processed meat of all types.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #571 on: December 01, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »

I get all my pork and beef from 1 of 2 small meat places. Both of them have contracts with their local farmers and buy nothing off the market.  And if they do to meet high demand like short ribs in the summer they label the product so customers know.  Krogers stuff looks pretty good but I dont buy it

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #572 on: December 01, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »

I don't eat that shitte.  All chemicals.

All the chemicals a growing kid needs!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #573 on: December 01, 2018, 04:23:51 PM »

I get all my pork and beef from 1 of 2 small meat places. Both of them have contracts with their local farmers and buy nothing off the market.  And if they do to meet high demand like short ribs in the summer they label the product so customers know.  Krogers stuff looks pretty good but I dont buy it

You sure about that?  Back when I was a kid, I used to deliver meat to a ton of mam and pop meat markets in Cleveland and most all of it came from MBPXL in Texas by way of a local locker.

How do you know for sure?  Ever asked?  I played the meat game for 30 years.  Notsure about today, but back then the best chicken was KFC.  I know, I used to haul it.  FDA inspector on the dock as well as a KFC inspector.  FDA looked at one box, passed the whole load after checking the tattle tell.  KFC inspector checked every 10th box and if one box on the whole oas didn't pass muster for portion size, moisture content and fat content, the whole load was rejected and another outfit like Popeye's or Churches bought it.

Ever tell you about 'Kosher' meat?  The only difference between Kosher and not Kosher is a Rabbi blesses the load.  That's it all the same stuff from the same slaughter house, processed by the same illegal Mexicans..  One time I had on 43K of swinging meat and had a mechaincal issue in Youngstown (Kosher has to be delivered within 50 hours or it's not 'Kosher' anymore.  So I''m down in Youngstown and my load isn't gonna make it to Canal Street in NYC in time.  So I call a local Rabbi, give the basturd 150 bucks, he blesses the load again and put a new seal on the door.  Kosher is a racket, nothing more.  Never even opened the inspection door to look at the load.  I could have had a load of Playboy magazines on and they would have been Kosher. smut....  lol

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #574 on: December 01, 2018, 04:28:55 PM »

I'm also here to tell you, the mom and pop meat markets are the dirtiest ones.  Don't buy sausage from them because you have no idea what is in it.  I do but I don't want to make you puke.

The best places are volume stores like Kroger  or Meijers.  Becauase all the butchers are FDA approved and get inspected regularly.  Not that way at the mom and pop market.  FDA and the Ag department only hits the big players because they don't have the manpower.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #575 on: December 01, 2018, 05:39:01 PM »

The one I know for sure because I know some of the farmers he contracts with for beef and pork and does his own butchering.  And Jan from Howards says she has a contract with a farmer in Ypsi area where she gets all her stuff.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #576 on: December 01, 2018, 06:00:04 PM »

s the farmers FDA compliant?  I'd be asking.  We butcher and eat our game animals here but I'm very careful and cook it well.  Played the meat game a lot of years.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #577 on: December 04, 2018, 08:38:43 PM »

CL and I stopped at Jimmy John's in Dundee, across from Subway this afternoon.  Wanted to try it.,

Prices are higher than Subway, their 6" sub is the same as a Subway foot long.  You cannot pick and choose what you want on it and you cannot get it toasted.  The sandwich is on par (taste wise) with Subway but the price is higher for less sandwich.  We will be going back to Subway from now on.  Like the Great Lakes Eatery, I give the places a shot and then decide.  NADA for Great Lakes (stupid prices) and NADA for Jimmy John's (not a good value and limited choices).

I want to be able to chose what I want on my meat.

Only one bread choice, Subway has 4.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #578 on: January 10, 2019, 06:11:45 PM »

Wow.

They are still working on Angelos.

I gave up on them a long time ago.

https://www.monroenews.com/news/20190108/angelos-chop-house-prepares-to-open-in-frenchtown
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #579 on: January 10, 2019, 07:47:50 PM »

I know CL and I will be going there.  Angelo's Villa has the best prime rib and seafood dishes anywhere.  I'm sure the kid's place will as well.  Only problem is, it will b expensive.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #580 on: January 10, 2019, 11:24:03 PM »

Fino's on Monroe street has been sold and there has been activity inside and, there's a sign saying a new place is "coming soon "
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #581 on: January 11, 2019, 07:21:22 AM »

American Table Family Restaurant.   They have a location in Lambertville and several in NW Ohio.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #582 on: January 11, 2019, 08:58:27 AM »

Yes there are several AT in this area.  Most are owned by the same family. The one on Secor is just a close friend of the others.  All from Dearborn though

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #583 on: January 11, 2019, 01:04:03 PM »

Dundee Coney Island is also owned by a (I think Serbian) family.  Food is good, prices are cheap and you get plenty.

Not going to any beanery owned by people from Dearborn.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39]   Go Up