MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Warning for Toledo and South County Water users: DO NOT DRINK THE WATER!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44   Go Down

Author Topic: Warning for Toledo and South County Water users: DO NOT DRINK THE WATER!  (Read 50366 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Warning for Toledo and South County Water users: DO NOT DRINK THE WATER!
« Reply #495 on: April 17, 2018, 05:01:18 PM »

That would be awesome.  So County has to get out of Toledo.  Nothing good is ever going to happen there.  Detroit might be about the same though..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #496 on: April 17, 2018, 05:28:12 PM »

That would be awesome.  So County has to get out of Toledo.  Nothing good is ever going to happen there.  Detroit might be about the same though..

It doesn't look like Sylvania and South County would actually be dealing with Detroit.

There's already a very solid regional water authority in place and it looks like they're the group that has to deal with the city of Detroit although it does look like it's the city of Detroit that owns the current processing plant.  I'm sure as Detroit continues to lose population they'd be glad to take on a few thousand new customers. 

Here's the link to the current authority:

http://www.glwater.org/
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #497 on: April 19, 2018, 11:41:40 AM »

This thread is as close as I can think of to post this.

Big effort to re-introduce sturgeon into the Maumee River.  The Maumee is a major contributor to the algae blooms.  Not sure if there is any connection between the sturgeon going back in and the river getting cleaned up.

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2018/04/16/Fall-2018-eyed-as-timeline-for-release-of-iconic-lake-sturgeon-into-the-Maumee-River.html

From above link:

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #498 on: April 23, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »

More on the sturgeon planting project in the Maumee River and also on the algae situation.  Looks like the water supply people will be playing 'watch the algae bloom' again this summer!!!

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Toledo-Zoo-restoring-sturgeon-to-Lake-Erie-480492901.html

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Study-shows-no-drop-in-Lake-Erie-algae-pollutants-480492731.html

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #499 on: April 23, 2018, 11:17:06 AM »

Bet everyone in Todoledo is looking forward to green water....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Article from The Blade regarding some background on the Toledo water plant.

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2018/05/05/Contested-waters-Who-s-paid-for-Toledo-s-water-treatment-plant.html

blue2

• Hero Talker

Bet everyone in Todoledo is looking forward to green water....

And Bedford,,I shower in it and that's about it..
If i wouldn't have had a well with submersible pump that i can't get out I'd be running well water back into the house..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

And Bedford,,I shower in it and that's about it..
If i wouldn't have had a well with submersible pump that i can't get out I'd be running well water back into the house..

Why can't you get the pump out?

How deep is your well?

blue2

• Hero Talker

I think it's down about 60'.  Probably need some special equip to pull it out or someone that knows more than i do.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

I think it's down about 60'.  Probably need some special equip to pull it out or someone that knows more than i do.

Maybe...

depends on what they originally connected the pump and the pitless adapter with.  If it is plastic tubing then it's not as complicated.  If they used iron pipe then it's pretty much necessary to use a derrick or tower of some sort.

With plastic it bends and you just pull everything up out of the pipe and lay it out on the ground.  With iron pipe it's usually lengths of 18-22 feet long.  It has to go that high in the air and then you have to hold it and unthread the coupler to the length below.  Probably beyond the means of most do it yourselfers.

We were fortunate in that we had plastic tubing so it was not difficult to just pull the plastic tubing up and the pump followed along.  Our pump wasn't heavy...  maybe 30 pounds. 

We did our pump ourselves in an afternoon and that included driving to get the new pump. 

You can go into the Monroe County Health Department (corner of M-50 and Herr Road)  and get a copy of the original well permit.  I don't remember if it tells what the drop tube material is though. 

Just for reference anyone that has a seepage bed and septic tank can get a copy of that permit too.

Let them know it is your own property and be real nice and they may not even charge you for a copy. 

Here's a picture of a 'typical' well casing but there are dozens of variables. 

The hardest part of the whole project was making a huge 'screwdriver' to loosen the pitless adapter.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Here's a youtube of a guy pulling his pump by himself while he recorded it with one hand! 

This is exactly the way our pump was installed although it wasn't as deep.  I would make sure I had a helper and both of you need to wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty.  You can see the rust on the drop tube and pump and it is nasty!!!

Replace Well Pump in 4 hrs (all 12 videos clips) 100 ft Myers 2ST52-8 by Tatcor.com West Chester, PA

blue2

• Hero Talker

Interesting..  I got as far as making the Tbar and screwing it into something but from there i couldn't get it to budge.  It's been years since i did this.  I called someone and i'm pretty sure they told me i needed to make a tripod and maybe use a block and tackle to get some leverage on it.
At that point i gave up.
I may give this another go

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Interesting..  I got as far as making the Tbar and screwing it into something but from there i couldn't get it to budge.  It's been years since i did this.  I called someone and i'm pretty sure they told me i needed to make a tripod and maybe use a block and tackle to get some leverage on it.
At that point i gave up.
I may give this another go

You've got nothing to lose.  If you break something or can't get it apart just put the cap back on and leave it like it has been.

There are some criteria to follow if you do want to abandon a well which would probably be at the health department too. 

If your pitless adapter has a screw holding it down in there you can probably pull with a crane and still not get it to budge.

And if there's no screw holding it you may need to get a strain on the lift rod and then give it a bit of 'thunk' with a big hammer.  Shock makes things move when they're stuck.  I think most of them are bronze (I know they can be expensive) so the two halves shouldn't be corroded together.

I had to go out at night and shine a flash light with a beam I could focus right on the pitless adapter to figure out what was going on.  Then when I went to get the pump they had a pitless just like ours right on the shelf.  I looked that all over and it all made sense then. 

If you do have solid iron pipes running down to the pump then you're going to need a much more substantial lifting device! 

blue2

• Hero Talker

It was put in around 1963 so however they did those things then. A couple of neighbors were luckier.  Their pump in the basement.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

It was put in around 1963 so however they did those things then. A couple of neighbors were luckier.  Their pump in the basement.

There are advantages to both locations. 

It's easier for any pump to 'push' as opposed to 'pull' water...

the deeper the water the more difficult it is for a pump to pull the water up to ground level.  They also don't seem to last near as long as a submersed pump.  We got 28-30 years out of our pump and it sounds like your pump probably lasted that long too. 

My favorite 'plus' is they are much quieter.  I have to be standing in the basement by the pressure tank to even know when the pump is running. 

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44   Go Up