MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Warning for Toledo and South County Water users: DO NOT DRINK THE WATER!

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 43   Go Down

Author Topic: Warning for Toledo and South County Water users: DO NOT DRINK THE WATER!  (Read 39828 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

I would be glad to take Governor Kasich for a boat ride and let him see with his own eyes what 'impaired' looks like.

He maintains he can't declare Ohio's section of the lake 'impaired' because there are no scientific criteria for impaired!

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/05/kasich_ohio_lake_erie_impaired.html#incart_2box_mlive_homepage_featured_entries
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Kasich is a lame duck idiot.  He proved that to me during the last Presidential election.

Seems to me to be way too much postulation and political gasmesmanship  going on in Columbus lately.

It's the old and tired 'citizens suffer while politicians play chess with the special interest's, mainly the Ohio farm lobby.  Everyone knows what the cause is, N runoff from ag operations and to a lesser extent discharges from municipal sewerage plants but no one wants to address it because it's political suicide.

So, the lake will continue to stink and turn pismuckle green every summer and life goes on and outfits like Ice Mountain make a fortune selling bottled water, water from Michigan springs no less...lol

Money talks and government listens....

Glad I don't have to deal with City of Toledo water, but then I've never been fond of green stinky water anyway.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Sounds like some of the municipalities aren't all too anxious to jump on the band wagon with Toledo!

http://nbc24.com/news/local/maumee-joins-list-of-suburbs-looking-elsewhere-for-best-possible-water-source

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Correct me if I'm mistaken but, don't BG get it's municipal water from deep wells?  I would think that would be more costly than Lake Erie green water....

I also see there is a big brew ha ha over Kaisch not wanting to declare LE impaired.  Sure seems to be impaired to me when the western basin turns green every year and stinks....

Everyone (in the know) knows what the issue is, ag runoff and to a lesser extent, untreated municipal sewage, but no one wants to be the bad guy and enforce nutrient runoff regulations and upgrading sewage treatment plants is a costly (to the taxpayers) adventure.

Problem is, you cannot keep using LE as a toilet.  Sooner or later (in this case sooner) you get to recycle (drink) the crap you are dumping in the lake..

Glad we have a well.  The water may not be the best but at least we aren't drinking someone else's pee water.

When we go out to eat and the waitress puts a glass of water in front of me, I never touch it.  I know where it came from (Monroe Water), I don't drink that crap.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker

Nothing wrong with a nice big glass of Monroe Mist!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Correct me if I'm mistaken but, don't BG get it's municipal water from deep wells?  I would think that would be more costly than Lake Erie green water....

I also see there is a big brew ha ha over Kaisch not wanting to declare LE impaired.  Sure seems to be impaired to me when the western basin turns green every year and stinks....

Everyone (in the know) knows what the issue is, ag runoff and to a lesser extent, untreated municipal sewage, but no one wants to be the bad guy and enforce nutrient runoff regulations and upgrading sewage treatment plants is a costly (to the taxpayers) adventure.

Problem is, you cannot keep using LE as a toilet.  Sooner or later (in this case sooner) you get to recycle (drink) the crap you are dumping in the lake..

Glad we have a well.  The water may not be the best but at least we aren't drinking someone else's pee water.

When we go out to eat and the waitress puts a glass of water in front of me, I never touch it.  I know where it came from (Monroe Water), I don't drink that crap.

I did read in one of the articles that BG gets their water from wells but I don't have any idea of the details.

How many do they have and how deep are they?  How far from the processing plant are they.

Toledo must be spending a bunch of $$$ on chemicals for treating their water even when it isn't green. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

I did read in one of the articles that BG gets their water from wells but I don't have any idea of the details.

How many do they have and how deep are they?  How far from the processing plant are they.

Toledo must be spending a bunch of $$$ on chemicals for treating their water even when it isn't green.

I bet they do and I bet Monroe does as well.  Toledo's water plant has been a political football for decades.

Last summer, the Maumee River looked like Gatorade....lol

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Flush the toilet..goes to the sewage plant is marginally treated and then out in the lake (natures septic tank) and back it comes in the water intake to be consumed by the citizens hooked up to Monroe water.  Monroe mist my butt. ;D

Only mist in Monroe is the mist hanging over the city council.  Excuse me, that is a fog, not a mist.

blue2

• Hero Talker

Toledo dumped raw sewage into Lake Erie everytime they had a big rain.  And still do to some extent.  They are still working on a big holding system in the downtown area.
i imagine all the little towns hooked onto the Maumee and Portage rivers do the same.
And then add to that the excess nitrogen from farm fields that is diverted to the rivers from country ditches.  And it ends up in a lake that isn't very deep.

Professor H

• Hero Talker

I have one left in reserve  ;)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker

I have one left in reserve  ;)

I think dear old dad has a few bottles in his basement too!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker

Toledo dumped raw sewage into Lake Erie everytime they had a big rain.  And still do to some extent.  They are still working on a big holding system in the downtown area.
i imagine all the little towns hooked onto the Maumee and Portage rivers do the same.
And then add to that the excess nitrogen from farm fields that is diverted to the rivers from country ditches.  And it ends up in a lake that isn't very deep.

Like I said, large septic tank that you get to recycle as 'drinking water'.  I'll pass.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

It has taken decades but the Ottawa River has been cleaned up to the point that body contact is now allowed.

Not sure how much of the pollution here might have been contributing to the 'green slime' in the Maumee Bay but everything is a step forward.

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Water-lovers-hope-removal-of-no-contact-order-brings-more-people-to-Ottawa-River-485984531.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

The water may not be turning green yet but this all helps to make it green eventually!

Saturday we were at Sterling and the beach was packed. 

Sunday we were at Luna Pier.  We didn't go down on the beach but I was watching a woman hold her toddler under the outdoor shower and I even commented to my wife that I wouldn't be putting my kid in the water to swim!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180620/no-swim-advisories-posted-at-state-park-luna-pier
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 43   Go Up