MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Ancient artifact found worth thousands here in Monroe.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Ancient artifact found worth thousands here in Monroe.  (Read 28086 times)

kel_ameen

• New Talker
Ancient artifact found worth thousands here in Monroe.
« on: August 01, 2007, 02:35:33 PM »

So I went down to the river a few days back and found an old artifact of CIvil War nature. I found it by Mr Norbert Sheets house, near the corner of Front st. and Macomb. He is no longer with us but to my understanding he still has the rights to things found on his property due to the seldom used Native American artifact law of 1929. His property was said to be an old indian burial ground prior to any housing going up in that area of Monroe. The piece is said to be worth thousands.

I was wondering if anyone had any amplifying information on this law.

Mr. Sheets great niece is continually calling me to the point of harassment but I need the money very badly because of the corn removal procedure I am to undergo here in the next month. You see I dont have insurance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
Re: Ancient artifact found worth thousands here in Monroe.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 03:41:00 PM »

kel_ameen

The general rule is if the artifact is found on private property or it belongs to the owner of the property. If the owner is deceased, then the executor of the property has the rights to the artifact. On property owned by the City the artifact belongs to the City. If the artifact is found in the river or within the boundaries of the river. Artifacts found are considered State property, which the State can claim.
If what you said was is true… “His property was said to be an old Indian burial ground prior to any housing going up in that area of Monroe.”Then more than likely, the State may have overall right’s to the artifact due to historical significance.

As far as Mr. Sheets great niece is continually calling you, Were you on Mr. Sheets property when you found the object?  If so, Did you have permission to be on the property? If not, then your trespassing.

I suggest you contact the Monroe County Historical Museum and give them the details concerning the artifact and where found. The number is: 240-7780
They are very helpful regarding these matters.

If you don’t mind me asking, What did you find?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 06:06:54 PM by Mayonnaise »
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:47:30 PM »

I found this Lincoln Navigator in the Wal-Mart parking lot. The owner keeps calling me and harassing me to return it, but I need the money. What should I do?
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

angrybmxer6

• Super Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 10:32:17 PM »

I found this Lincoln Navigator in the Wal-Mart parking lot. The owner keeps calling me and harassing me to return it, but I need the money. What should I do?

lol im sorry but thats funny
kinda rude but funny
"When others are oppressed, no one is truly free."
-Albert Einstein

www.BarackObama.com

• Hero Talker
  • It's A New Day
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 08:06:10 AM »

Bury the object in your backyard and have your neighbor come and dig it up and say he found it in your yard.

Hmm.... that might have worked if you didn't TELL EVERYBODY you found it!

But since you did, give it back to the niece. If it was on his property, it belongs to his family.
<a href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DNGcPVRBts-o</a>

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 08:09:57 AM »

Ancient artifact found worth thousands here in Monroe.

kel_ameen

I would also like to add….

Just because someone told you that something with worth a certain amount of money or you believe that something is worth a certain amount and a value may also be is print.

The true value of something is what a person is actually willing to pay for it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 08:12:37 AM by Mayonnaise »

zard0z

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 08:11:05 AM »

So I went down to the river a few days back and found an old artifact of CIvil War nature. I found it by Mr Norbert Sheets house, near the corner of Front st. and Macomb. He is no longer with us but to my understanding he still has the rights to things found on his property due to the seldom used Native American artifact law of 1929. His property was said to be an old indian burial ground prior to any housing going up in that area of Monroe. The piece is said to be worth thousands.

I was wondering if anyone had any amplifying information on this law.

Mr. Sheets great niece is continually calling me to the point of harassment but I need the money very badly because of the corn removal procedure I am to undergo here in the next month. You see I dont have insurance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Are you for real???

kel_ameen

• New Talker
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »

Yes I am very real.

I found 2 moccasins with quarts beading set in gold and tools that were designed to efficiently acquire and process meats. (this, I was told by someone in the know).

I was told they were of the Paleo Indians and worth thousands since these things are very rarely found. The artifacts date back to the last glacial period.

One moccasin even had a bone fragment.

lawgirlMI

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 09:33:37 AM »

Ok, for some reason, I am sitting at my desk and literally laughing out loud.  Great comment.

kel_ameen

• New Talker
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 09:42:48 AM »

Ok, for some reason, I am sitting at my desk and literally laughing out loud.  Great comment.

Were the keys left in it or did you hotwire it or whatever you call it?

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 10:34:09 AM »

Were the keys left in it or did you hotwire it or whatever you call it?

Greg, I mean it, I want my car back now!!  I only left it running so the AC could keep it cool.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »

kel_ameen

Moccasins??, that would be a real rare find, since moccasins usually “rot away” after about 10 years and usually made from deer hide. Unless they were in a sealed container or preserved in an ancient bog.

I for one, would like to see the artifacts. As a matter of fact I spoke to someone at the museum this morning about your finds and wanted me to tell you to bring them in to have “them” take a look, and to determine if they are really authentic artifacts.

I advise you that it would be in your best interest to have someone at the museum that is really familiar with local Native American artifacts to check your finds before you advertise and try to sell them, or whatever you think is the right thing to do.

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 10:35:02 AM »

This smells of a hoax to me..

kel_ameen

• New Talker
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 10:48:57 AM »

kel_ameen

Moccasins??, that would be a real rare find, since moccasins usually “rot away” after about 10 years and usually made from deer hide. Unless they were in a sealed container or preserved in an ancient bog.

I for one, would like to see the artifacts. As a matter of fact I spoke to someone at the museum this morning about your finds and wanted me to tell you to bring them in to have “them” take a look, and to determine if they are really authentic artifacts.

I advise you that it would be in your best interest to have someone at the museum that is really familiar with local Native American artifacts to check your finds before you advertise and try to sell them, or whatever you think is the right thing to do.

Thank you for the advice and i did have someone take a look at them the very next day. He is the former Mayor of orville Ohio and an avid collector of all things ancient. He assures me that these are authentic and worth quite a bit. The Moccasins were intact but only slightly. 

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 10:53:47 AM »

The Sheets family should at the very least send you a thank you card for all the money you will have made them should this be true.
Hope you got cash for a lawyer, cause your gonna need it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up