MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Business Openings

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Business Openings  (Read 118099 times)

Maverick

• Hero Talker
Re: Business Openings
« Reply #1200 on: August 27, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »

Yes thats probably it. I know they brought in a huge pile of stone for the pad so I hope they bought the land cheap !!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1201 on: August 28, 2018, 05:51:52 AM »

Yes thats probably it. I know they brought in a huge pile of stone for the pad so I hope they bought the land cheap !!

Last night it looked like an elevated helipad.  It's all leveled and squared off and sitting probably 5-6 feet above the surrounding grade. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #1202 on: August 28, 2018, 07:24:45 AM »

I can hardly wait to see how that new jewelry store location is going to work with entrances/exits being where it is.  That whole section is already a mess with traffic and the Murphy gas station right there; signs say NO left turn out of the one driveway and every day, there are people turning LEFT out of the gas station driveway.  You have no turn arrow (at least right now) to turn into Wally World entrance and now you are going to have another business on the corner?? Should be very interesting

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1203 on: August 28, 2018, 07:34:34 AM »

And according to the site plan in the leasing ad, no driveway connection to be able to use the light.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1204 on: August 28, 2018, 07:42:51 AM »

I can hardly wait to see how that new jewelry store location is going to work with entrances/exits being where it is.  That whole section is already a mess with traffic and the Murphy gas station right there; signs say NO left turn out of the one driveway and every day, there are people turning LEFT out of the gas station driveway.  You have no turn arrow (at least right now) to turn into Wally World entrance and now you are going to have another business on the corner?? Should be very interesting

I'm guessing the jewelry store won't have any direct entrance to Telegraph once the construction is finished.  Google maps shows the 'drive' by Murphy as 'Mall Road'.  At some point it may extend east clear back to the railroad tracks if they can find enough businesses to buy or least a site back there.  Only time will tell on that one. 

Many of the traffic issues you pointed out are not going to stop no matter what happens along that stretch.  We had only lived here a few weeks and my wife had been driving in Monroe...  probably grocery shopping.  When I got home from work and we were talking she commented that 'people in this town drive crazy'...   we've been here 34 years and the drivers have gotten worse (in my opinion) instead of better. 

As the tax revenue falls from the 3 power plants maybe the county and city can recover part of the gravy by actually citing people for their obvious infractions. 

There are about 3 or 4 of those 'no left turns' along that stretch of Telegraph.  I see at least one driver turning left anyway on every trip I make out that way.  Stewart and Telegraph is the highest crash count intersection in the county for a reason.  The new 'double left' off west bound Stewart helps but there are drivers that don't know how to stay in their own left turn lane until they have actually finished the turn.  I guess they figure the lane markers are just a 'starting point'!

The thing with the no left signs is they also have the entrance to Telegraph 'curbed' with concrete forcing the drivers to start a right hand turn before they can even begin to turn back to the left.  I'll bet if they had it curbed for 100 feet there would be people that would get to the end of the merge lane and then turn left across all 5 lanes!!! 

I guess it's their own version of a 'Michigan Left'! 

Their, that's my traffic rant for the day too.  We just happened to have been to TSC last night and I saw at least one example of all of the above in the trip up and back. 

Only in Monroe!!!

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1205 on: August 28, 2018, 07:48:02 AM »

And according to the site plan in the leasing ad, no driveway connection to be able to use the light.

I remember seeing that too.  Hopefully MDOT will eventually intervene and get that corrected.  My guess is the ownership of that lot had no relation to the ownership of the WalMart parcel.  It appears from a casual drive by that the jewelry store lot is contiguous to the Mall Road extension.  That might not be correct so then that would prevent even MDOT from being able to correct it.  MDOT does have ways of putting the 'squeeze' on other property owners though. 

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #1206 on: August 28, 2018, 08:10:53 AM »

I'm guessing the jewelry store won't have any direct entrance to Telegraph once the construction is finished. 

ok so if the jewelry store is not going to have direct entrance to Telegraph then that goes back to my point of putting everything on what the map may label as "Mall Road" and I label an overglorified driveway - that whole stretch of "driveway" from the parking lot to Telegraph already gets congested when business is full in there - now we are going to have people going in and out of the jewelry store? - or am I just being dense here and missing something

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #1207 on: August 28, 2018, 10:10:57 AM »

Doesn't seem to be many homes around that site for a DG. I did hear that DG wants to have a store for every 10,000 people

That's fairly close......I bought into them in 2012 after seeing them pop up in places where I thought sales would be good, and then did some research on their marketing strategy.

Every time I have thought about selling it takes another spike, soon will though.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=jVaFW9bzIsiLjwS114WgAg&q=dollar+general+stock+price&oq=dollar+general+sto&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i131i20i264k1l2j0l8.18394.19658.0.22859.4.4.0.0.0.0.91.320.4.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.4.315...0i131k1j0i20i264k1.0.J6IJyX0nhVs

Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1208 on: August 28, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »

DG will probably do well out on M50.   Lots of traffic goes by there and there's nothing convenient on that side of town for the kinds of stuff they sell.   A gas station in that area would probably do quite well too.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1209 on: August 28, 2018, 03:16:13 PM »

ok so if the jewelry store is not going to have direct entrance to Telegraph then that goes back to my point of putting everything on what the map may label as "Mall Road" and I label an overglorified driveway - that whole stretch of "driveway" from the parking lot to Telegraph already gets congested when business is full in there - now we are going to have people going in and out of the jewelry store? - or am I just being dense here and missing something

I'm seeing you have some valid concerns halo_girl. 

I very honestly have never been even in the parking lot at WalMart until this morning.  We just don't shop there when we're home although we occasionally get trapped into going there when we're in Florida as the towns are much smaller and there are frequently just no alternative places to shop without driving literally sometimes a hundred miles.  Not real populate where we go except for other 'snowbirds'. 

I took some pictures which I'll post later but I better get going to help my wife right now. 

What I did see is that there is a very narrow (maybe 30-40 feet at Telegraph) natural wetland between the Jewelry store and the Murphy gas station.  Looking at what all is behind Murphy I have to think someone was very fortunate to have been able to shoehorn even the Murphy station in where they did and the Jewelry store location is almost unbelievable.  I've worked for years to get parcels that were much less 'wetland' looking approved for building and never made it.

However, I will still add that if there is one entity at the state level that can override building (in this case a road or driveway) it is MDOT.  If something is for the 'public benefit' a lot of rules can be waived.  By any logic I-75 should have been built about 15 miles more to the west to avoid destroying miles and miles and miles of wetlands.  Major wetlands, not little spotty ones like is beside WalMart. 

There was actually a 'wetland maintenance' service there working while we were there.  I didn't realize there was any such business.  I thought mother nature took care of her own wetlands. 

Ok, more later on what I sat and observed in 15 minutes.

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #1210 on: August 28, 2018, 04:14:44 PM »

I'm seeing you have some valid concerns halo_girl. 

I very honestly have never been even in the parking lot at WalMart until this morning.  We just don't shop there when we're home although we occasionally get trapped into going there when we're in Florida as the towns are much smaller and there are frequently just no alternative places to shop without driving literally sometimes a hundred miles.  Not real populate where we go except for other 'snowbirds'. 

I took some pictures which I'll post later but I better get going to help my wife right now. 

What I did see is that there is a very narrow (maybe 30-40 feet at Telegraph) natural wetland between the Jewelry store and the Murphy gas station.  Looking at what all is behind Murphy I have to think someone was very fortunate to have been able to shoehorn even the Murphy station in where they did and the Jewelry store location is almost unbelievable.  I've worked for years to get parcels that were much less 'wetland' looking approved for building and never made it.

However, I will still add that if there is one entity at the state level that can override building (in this case a road or driveway) it is MDOT.  If something is for the 'public benefit' a lot of rules can be waived.  By any logic I-75 should have been built about 15 miles more to the west to avoid destroying miles and miles and miles of wetlands.  Major wetlands, not little spotty ones like is beside WalMart. 

There was actually a 'wetland maintenance' service there working while we were there.  I didn't realize there was any such business.  I thought mother nature took care of her own wetlands. 

Ok, more later on what I sat and observed in 15 minutes.

I very much look forward to your observations and glad to see that I do have valid concerns.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1211 on: August 28, 2018, 06:25:35 PM »

I very much look forward to your observations and glad to see that I do have valid concerns.

What I did not see there this morning was any sign of a curb cut or any survey stakes or anything that looked like anyone was making any prep whatsoever for the jewelry store to be putting in any access to what we'll continue to call the Mall Road 'extension' for now.  That may not be any such extension but only that Google maps picked it us as such just because it lines up with Mall Road across Telegraph.  Google doesn't have a lot of human input but rather they let computers pick out what looks like it may be a road.  I've seen lots of errors in the past including where there were clearly roads but Google maps doesn't think there should be so they don't show it as a road. 

However, any road work may not happen until they're doing the parking lot and they typically do that late in the project to keep the truck traffic from tearing it all up. 

I am guessing that the strip of what appears to be wetlands is owned by whoever is building the jewelry store building.  WalMart (or whoever owns the property) has their ponds fenced and also the wetlands where we could see at least two guys out with backpack sprayers working.  They had a big trailer that may or may not have held some equipment.  We didn't see or hear anything running but they could have been back by the railroad tracks or maybe even clear over on the other side of the building.  Everything would line up nice and straight so that is one reason I think it belongs to the jewelry store. 

My guess is maybe MDOT or Frenchtown (not sure who may or may not be enforcing any ingress and egress issues) (most like it's MDOT since it's a state or US marked route) will let them open and then do another traffic study.  They'll check and see how many crashes happen and how many people get killed trying to turn left even though it will probably be another one that will be clearly marked 'no left turn'.  We know way too many people in Monroe (and surrounding areas) have reading comprehension issues...  even with just 3 short words!!! 

It their study determines they need to improve the re-entry onto southbound Telegraph (a left hand turn out of the jewelry store) then an option may be to bridge or culvert or maybe even just fill the wetland.  I didn't see any 'connection' wetlands across Telegraph.  We even went into Verizon while we were there and I had a chance to get a good look.  There is also a little creek only a couple of hundred yards north of there that crosses Telegraph so who knows what may or may not be wetlands on the Kohl's parcel. 

I definitely see the potential for issues if there is additional traffic entering from the jewelry store.  Obviously there will be a lot less traffic coming from the jewelry store than there is attempting to exit WalMart.  We were there between 10 and 11 am and I'm guessing that is not 'prime time' for people exiting the parking lot.  At one point I counted 12 vehicles lined up to turn left.  Of course it is typical Monroe...   the light turns green and the first car jumps like a rabbit and the car behind them is so busy on their cell phone they don't move for several seconds and the next 4 or 5 cars all jump and go but by then there's another driver that appears to be asleep at the wheel!!!   Finally all 12 did get through before the light turned green but a dozen would be about the max number I'd guess.  I know some of the MDOT intersections now use lasers to tell when traffic clears or they have a max time set and just adjust it down when traffic clears.  If I sat there for a while and watched I could probably figure it out but right now I'm not that interested. 

I am not a traffic engineer although I have worked on several parcels that had state road access and it's always an extra PITA.  Then when it's in Frenchtown it's even more complicated usually (Ok, Maverick...  Always!).  The interesting thing is you can have almost the same issue on 3 parcels in 3 jurisdictions and on 3 different state roads and MDOT will come up with 3 different 'solutions'! 

My guess is that in the event MDOT forces the jewelry store onto the Mall Road Extension then one option would be to reconfigure Mall road to have a double left turn lane like Stewart has.  Looks like there's enough room to do that.  If MDOT allows the jewelry store to make right turn or north bound entrance onto Telegraph then that would require a lot fewer cars to enter Mall Road but my guess is that a few wills till go out and turn left no matter what is posted.  The simple answer for that is to just not allow a drive for either direction and make everyone enter and leave from Mall Road. 

Keep an eye and if you see them start putting up survey stakes or cutting the curb then you can figure they're going to have at least part of the traffic leaving the jewelry store that direction. 

Time will eventually tell the story.  Maybe that parcel isn't wetlands but it is definitely 'low lands' and that often means wetlands.  It sure appears to be wetlands on the WalMart parcel where it's fenced. 

I'll have to do pictures later but they won't clear up your concerns any.  They may make it easier to understand what I 'saw' though.

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #1212 on: August 28, 2018, 07:15:10 PM »

BRD - thank you so much for your views and observations on the whole Jewelry store subject.  Just to clarify when I speak of left turn I am not referring to left turns onto Telegraph itself.
 While it would be nice to have a turn arrow from southbound Telegraph into that "extension" I am referring to the Murphy driveway that is closest to Telegraph.  They have a total of 3 in/out driveways, the one closest to Telegraph and on that one it states NO LEFT TURN out of that one; there is one in the middle and then the one off the main parking lot area - both of those you can go either way you want.
 Any day we go there, you will always see at least one car in that very first driveway waiting to turn left to go back towards Telegraph. Yes the weekday hours of 10a - 11am would not be the prime hours for traffic there for sure.  Try being there either during the week on what would be considered "rush hour" (always get a laugh out of that term) or mid-morning thru the rest of the day on a weekend.  It can get to be a nightmare with in and out traffic. And yes we have often dealt with the ones that either take too long because they aren't paying attention or whatever there reason.  It definitely will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.  I want to thank you for a very courteous and respectful conversation on this - it is much appreciated.

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1213 on: August 29, 2018, 07:50:25 AM »

Like I said, the siteplan used in the lease ad doesn't show one but that could have changed.   It shows one of those "pretty please don't make a left" drives for one drive but not the other.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/N-Telegraph-Rd-Mall-Road-Monroe-MI/12233562/

BTW, someone knocked down the no left sign in the little island at the Starbucks exit.   From what I've seen some targeted enforcement would be profitable at Starbucks and Walmart.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1214 on: August 29, 2018, 08:18:36 AM »

Like I said, the siteplan used in the lease ad doesn't show one but that could have changed.   It shows one of those "pretty please don't make a left" drives for one drive but not the other.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/N-Telegraph-Rd-Mall-Road-Monroe-MI/12233562/

BTW, someone knocked down the no left sign in the little island at the Starbucks exit.   From what I've seen some targeted enforcement would be profitable at Starbucks and Walmart.

Do not ever put much faith in and advertisement you see for anything and especially for anything related to real estate.  I see one huge glaring mistake in the very beginning of the Loopnet ad...

SEC...   The only meaning I can come up with I'm sure is not 'South East Conference' however it could possibly be the listing agent's abbreviation for 'south east corner'...

except the parcel is on the north east corner of the intersection.  If the very first word is wrong in an ad I have no reason to believe the rest of the ad will be any more accurate.

The only site plan that manners is the one on file at Frenchtown's building department...   the one with 'approved' and a date stamped on it.  What you see in that ad is someone's 'artwork' with a little cut and paste.  Probably some artwork drawn for the original developer. 

In commercial building (especially in Frenchtown) it's not 'over' until you have the occupancy permit in your hand.  I worked on a rehab project in the township a few years ago.  When the inspector showed up for the 'final' inspection he immediately pointed out that our exit lights didn't have outdoor floods connected to a backup battery.  We replied that we hadn't seen where they were required and the inspector said they just changed the ordinance a few days before that!!!

The only break we got was on our handicap parking spaces.  We had all new asphalt in the parking lot and all the proper blue striping.  We had even ordered nice new signs to be posted at eye level immediately in front of the designated space.  Two spaces means two sign!  One of our signs had been back ordered and was being shipped from another warehouse.  Since one sign was properly posted we were given a 'waiver' for a few days and allowed to open!  The building was our private trade association office and we had no known members at the time that required a designated parking space. 

I assume that the building file at Frenchtown is subject to FOIA requests.  Go in and fill out the paperwork and they'll probably let you look through the file.  But, again, what you would see there could still be subject to changes until there is an occupancy permit. 

The old saying "it's not over until that lady sings" is often attributed to sporting events but it really came from people working with their local building departments!!!

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82   Go Up