MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Business Openings

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Business Openings  (Read 87821 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Business Openings
« Reply #1185 on: August 14, 2018, 09:27:10 AM »

Well its the same builder that did all the expansion at the storage place across the street.   They are pretty well land locked so maybe they are expanding across the street?

Why do people have so much crap to store?

Some of us are definitely pack rats or hoarders.  We see too many good ideas on Pinterest or elsewhere and start the project and then never finish it because we've seen something else we want to do.  In children it's ADDA but in adults it's just everyday life.

In the commercial world Monroe is the center of 'everyone wants to be a pizza magnate' so you have a lot of pizza equipment and 'opening soon' signs that has to be stored somewhere while they're between storefronts. 

I have only ever used a storage unit one time during my business history.  When the big 'downturn' was pending about 15 years ago we were following it pretty closely and made a decision to downsize.  We had office equipment that filled 2400 square feet of office space but we managed to pack it into an 80 sq ft storage unit and a corner of my basement.  We got busy quick trying to sell the stuff so we wouldn't have to keep paying rent on the storage unit.  We finally pretty well had to give the stuff away because we weren't the only other people in the process of downsizing at the time.  We were there for 3 or 4 months and it helped us out.

When our son was in the process of buying a home a couple of years ago he rented a unit about halfway between the new home and the old one and he started moving seasonal items and spare stuff to the storage unit.  That gave him room to make the old home 'show' much better and his stuff was already halfway 'home'.  It cut back on the rush, rush, rush at closing on both homes. 

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1186 on: August 14, 2018, 10:14:25 AM »

Well its the same builder that did all the expansion at the storage place across the street.  They are pretty well land locked so maybe they are expanding across the street?

That would make sense.  They could easily operate both units from one location. 

Years ago in Atlanta (GA not northern MI) my uncle operated two service stations on one main corner diagonally across the street from each other.  One was a Pure and eventually Union 76 and the other was a Texaco station.  They actually serviced vehicles and didn't just sell gasoline...   what a concept!!!  He would wear a grey service uniform without either decal but it did have his name on it above the pocket.  He had a 'cap' with each brands logo and he would walk between the stations all day long.  I never once saw him forget to swap caps as he reached the halfway mark on his walk.  Of course, no cell phones to distract him then...  but I suppose with cell phones he probably could have stayed home and ran the two stations up to a point.

There's a new storage business on the east side of Dundee at 5 corners.  I was in the area and reading their info one day last week.  They apparently operate completely online.  You can pick out your unit from a chart online and pay with a card.  Then it looks like they send you a password or number for the keyboard at the gate which gets you in and out.  I'm guessing you have to provide your own padlock but I didn't actually get that far. 

The internet has definitely taken 'human interaction' out of some business plans. 

I could sit around the house in my underwear all day if I operated like that 8) 8) 8)

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1187 on: August 14, 2018, 10:23:29 AM »

"I could sit around the house in my underwear all day if I operated like that 8) 8) 8)"

I don't know if we'd want to see that.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1188 on: August 15, 2018, 07:20:02 AM »

"I could sit around the house in my underwear all day if I operated like that 8) 8) 8)"

I don't know if we'd want to see that.

LOL...

yes, there are some things we don't want to see on the internet!

Well its the same builder that did all the expansion at the storage place across the street.   They are pretty well land locked so maybe they are expanding across the street?

The fact it's the same builder is probably a pretty good indicator.  When I have some time I'll see if I can find the deed in the RofD records and tie it to anywhere else.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1189 on: August 17, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »

While MT was 'down' last night I had time to look up about the new 'storage yard' on Telegraph.  Not only the same owner of the lot next to UPS and the units across the road but they also have a facility up on Telegraph in Berlin Township.  I have all the addresses open on the laptop but I'm not on it right now. 

Easy to trace the LTD corp back to Jackson but the address is to a law office on Jackson street so not much of a clue of the people behind the corporation.  It is interesting though that the register of deeds shows three different corporate names on the new facility next to UPS!  I'll post the details later. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1190 on: August 17, 2018, 08:02:51 PM »

Here's what I found in the online public records.  The tax records still isn't showing an address (I'd guess Monroe Charter township has assigned one by now but it takes a long time sometimes for the records to all 'merge' together).  I verified that the property is adjacent to UPS because it has a similar parcel ID number with the last two digits being consecutive. 

UPS's parcel:

Address
Reference #
Name

15400 S TELEGRAPH RD   12 020 021 53 (Parcel Number)   BT-OH LLC   
15400 S TELEGRAPH RD   12 300 814 00 (Parcel Number)   UPS   **Personal Property

Fernco Development LTD owned properties in Monroe County.  Note the top one is in area 03 which I'm sure is Berlin Township.  My cheat sheet is on my phone and it's on the charger right now.  The parcel with no address is where the construction is happening and you can see the parcel ID number is just one digit more than the UPS parcel next door. 

Name
Reference #
Address

FERNCO DEVELOPMENT LTD   03 006 099 00 (Parcel Number)   14701 TELEGRAPH RD   
FERNCO DEVELOPMENT LTD   12 020 021 54 (Parcel Number)   S TELEGRAPH RD   
FERNCO DEVELOPMENT LTD   12 020 089 00 (Parcel Number)   15441 S TELEGRAPH RD   
FERNCO DEVELOPMENT LTD   12 300 101 00 (Parcel Number)   15441 S TELEGRAPH RD   **Personal Property

The Register of Deeds info showing the multiple corporate names had crashed.  I had left it open way too long apparently.  They seem to have registered all 3 names but also appear to only be operating under the one name in Monroe County.  A google search gave me the Jackson address but it appears they have used an attorney to register the paperwork which means it takes a little more detective work to sometimes still not find who the filing parties are. 

Google info for 404 S Jackson.  Draw your own conclusions.

https://www.google.com/search?q=404+S+Jackson+St.%2C+Jackson+MI&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS749US749&oq=404+S+Jackson+St.%2C+Jackson+MI&aqs=chrome..69i57.11383j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1191 on: August 17, 2018, 08:17:02 PM »

There is a big parking lot sale at Harbor Freight this weekend.

This only happens like 20 or so times a year

Don't miss out!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1192 on: August 25, 2018, 05:59:27 PM »

Maybe I missed it but whats the new construction just North of  Meijer
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1193 on: August 25, 2018, 06:08:21 PM »

Maybe a pizza joint

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1194 on: August 25, 2018, 07:00:28 PM »

I posted a couple of days ago about someone tearing down the old gas station / current fireworks store at the corner of Luna Pier Road and the Dixie down in Erie Township.  My wife saw on Facebook that it's going to be a Dollar General store.

Our son heard through the grapevine that there was a Dollar General store going in the little grocery store on the south side of Ida.

I haven't seen anything about it.  We were by there one day last week and I didn't even notice anything going on.  We were heading north so maybe I just missed it.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1195 on: August 25, 2018, 07:18:19 PM »

Doesn't seem to be many homes around that site for a DG. I did hear that DG wants to have a store for every 10,000 people

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1196 on: August 25, 2018, 07:46:20 PM »

Doesn't seem to be many homes around that site for a DG. I did hear that DG wants to have a store for every 10,000 people

They've been trying for a couple of years to get one into Erie (DG, not the Erie residents).  The residents kept opposing it at all the public meetings for various reasons but many feel it will hurt the business at the little grocery store in Erie.  DG wanted to be right next door.  Now they'll be up the road a mile but they're also only a couple of miles from Luna Pier and I-75. 

We don't go to any of the dollar places very often but when we're camping there is quite often one in the area.  We can usually find something that will work for what we need. 

There's another DG across from the Kroger store at the south end of the city of Monroe which is probably within 7-8 miles. 

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1197 on: August 25, 2018, 11:10:49 PM »

Not sure it's DG but they're trying to put one in Maybee and theres one going in in front of Plum Grove on M-50.
Seems like they're building way too many of them and then they'll be a big spate of abandoned Dollar stores. Just like auto parts stores and pharmacies. I don't understand how so much competition doesn't cause them all to fail at some point.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1198 on: August 26, 2018, 06:42:32 AM »

Not sure it's DG but they're trying to put one in Maybee and theres one going in in front of Plum Grove on M-50.
Seems like they're building way too many of them and then they'll be a big spate of abandoned Dollar stores. Just like auto parts stores and pharmacies. I don't understand how so much competition doesn't cause them all to fail at some point.

Interesting you mentioned pharmacies and auto parts stores.  Reminds me of Perry Drugs and Perry Auto back in the 80s.  They were a Michigan company and got into one of these 'growth' modes.  They were attracting investors and borrowing heavily and everyone was happy because they were 'growing'.  No immediate returns expected because they all figured on making a killing down the road.  They were probably paying the interest with the new money they were borrowing.   The people at the top were making tons of money and so were the builders and developers.  They had no idea how to run a business to make profits but rather only how to maintain it in a 'growth mode'.  Eventually money got too expensive to borrow and the whole thing collapsed.

I don't know if they are taking business from WalMart or each other but it does seem like they have to be close to a saturation point. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1199 on: August 27, 2018, 08:09:49 PM »

If you mean just north of Wally World that's where we decided the new Kay Jewelry is moving.  Someone had posted at one time they were supposed to be open October 1st.  I suppose it may still be possible but they're going to have to hustle. 
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82   Go Up