MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Business Openings

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82]   Go Down

Author Topic: Business Openings  (Read 119369 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Business Openings
« Reply #1215 on: August 29, 2018, 08:48:32 AM »

Hard to believe but by Oct 1st this is supposed to be a jewelry store.  This is looking north from the Murphy Gas Station parking lot.  Unfortunately it's hard to see just how much fill has been put under the gravel pad.  Note the old pieces of concrete that have been pushed back into the pile of dirt behind the new pad.

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1216 on: August 29, 2018, 08:53:52 AM »

This is the truck that was parked back behind the curb of the WalMart drive by the fenced in pond.  I could see two guys with backpack sprayers walking around way back in an area that is also fenced and appears to be wetlands.

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1217 on: August 29, 2018, 08:58:04 AM »

Looking southeast.  You can see the fence around the pond and then there is more wetlands behind that.  You can see the Walmart building to the right.  The railroad tracks run behind the building but you really can't see them.  Before this was Walmart it was the site of Wickes Lumber.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1218 on: August 29, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »

Looking northwest.  You can see the new stone pad for the jewelry store.  Some power lines run along the lot line between WalMart's parcel and the jewelry store parcel. 

I spent some time studying the Google map last night and it does appear most of the low spot between the two parcels is on the WalMart lot.  When you zoom out your can pretty well distinguish the triangle shaped parcel for the jewelry store. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1219 on: August 30, 2018, 08:42:15 AM »

I'm not sure why the photo of the door on the truck with their company name is so blurry.  My original photo was sharp as can be expected from a phone camera.  I'll try to remember to reload it when I get the chance.

Here's the website info which is why I took that picture in the first place.  I knew I wouldn't remember it 2 hours later.  I take a lot of pictures like that so I don't have to remember something later.

http://www.plantwiserestoration.com/

halo_girl, have you ever seen them burning any of that area in the fence like they show on the website? 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1220 on: August 30, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »

Lots of neat photos on their website but I did like this one.  Wow...  on their website it's a tiny little photo and on here it's huge.  Neat to see the butterfly eye though. 

We have a butterfly savanna out near the road.  We mow on both sides of it so I'm sure the neighbors wonder why we leave that little patch.  It's loaded with milkweed and butterfly flowers.  I didn't brush hog it down last fall and it's got some aggressive brush starting to take over.  Once the milkweed is all dry and the pods are spewing out their seeds I'll mow it all down.  We have a path through it that we do keep mowed but no one can see that.  We can walk through and get up close and personal with the butterflies. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1221 on: August 30, 2018, 01:56:13 PM »

Let's try this again.  The only thing I can figure is I either had a computer running slow or a slow upload or something like that and the photo wasn't finished 'processing' before it got saved at Shutterfly. 

halo_girl

• Veteran Talker
« Reply #1222 on: August 30, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »

halo_girl, have you ever seen them burning any of that area in the fence like they show on the website?

BRD I can honestly say in the 20 years we have lived here and gone to that Wal-Mart since they opened, I have never seen anything like that having been done.  I will admit most of the time coming in off of that stretch I am being passenger driver and helping keep an eye out for all those that want to constantly pull out in front of somebody (or turn where they aren't supposed to) but I would think if something had been burned we would have seen some sign of it and had it been anything recent to a stop there my husband would have surely smelled something "burned"

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1223 on: August 30, 2018, 04:09:21 PM »

When you build a replacement wetland you are legally required to maintain it according to an approved plan. Not many people do and the state has not been real good at enforcing the rules but a corporate entity like Was Mart probably tries to follow as many rules as they can. I assume that company was there making sure that the plan was being followed. BRD what you are referring to may be Fragmites burning. If you've ever seen one it is intense. The heat and black smoke can be seen for miles.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1224 on: August 30, 2018, 06:21:45 PM »

When you build a replacement wetland you are legally required to maintain it according to an approved plan. Not many people do and the state has not been real good at enforcing the rules but a corporate entity like Was Mart probably tries to follow as many rules as they can. I assume that company was there making sure that the plan was being followed. BRD what you are referring to may be Fragmites burning. If you've ever seen one it is intense. The heat and black smoke can be seen for miles.
[/b]

I've seen them burn several times but I've made it a point to go when I knew they were burning too.  The very first time I saw it I was at the outlet mall on Laplaisance and they were burning at the DNR property at Halfway Creek which is about a half mile from the state line.  I could see it like it was at Bolles Harbor.  It burns so black you'd swear it is plastic or oil burning. 

BRD I can honestly say in the 20 years we have lived here and gone to that Wal-Mart since they opened, I have never seen anything like that having been done.  I will admit most of the time coming in off of that stretch I am being passenger driver and helping keep an eye out for all those that want to constantly pull out in front of somebody (or turn where they aren't supposed to) but I would think if something had been burned we would have seen some sign of it and had it been anything recent to a stop there my husband would have surely smelled something "burned"

You'll have to drive back towards the back of the store to see where we saw the two guys working.  They had on backpack sprayers so they were most likely spraying to kill some particular plants or to kill some kind of insect.  They were too far away to see exactly what they were spraying.  The only area I saw that looked like it was something they might typically burn off is right along the railroad tracks and at the very back of the parcel.  I guess I never paid that close of attention but I don't remember it being that low out the back of the Wickes store.  We used to drive clear to the back to pick up lumber.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1225 on: September 07, 2018, 12:04:52 AM »

If you mean just north of Wally World that's where we decided the new Kay Jewelry is moving.  Someone had posted at one time they were supposed to be open October 1st.  I suppose it may still be possible but they're going to have to hustle. 
Another store in the "Mall" leaving?    Can't be...

I just happened to see the construction area and wondered what in the heck they were attempting to do... 

About as piss poor location you could pick - unless they pay Wallyworld for access to the nice light
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82]   Go Up