MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > A farm equipment question?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A farm equipment question?  (Read 8376 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: A farm equipment question?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 10:21:40 AM »

These are the pictures I took yesterday...  didn't have my good camera with me so had to use my video camera on 'still' mode...  it doesn't take the best pictures in the world :( :( :(

The first three pictures are the machine I saw being delivered.  I didn't see the other one go by.  Lucky I didn't see one going and the other going back...  I would have thought it 'shrunk after use' ;) ;) ;)

Here are a couple of the smaller machine:

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 11:41:00 AM »

Those are corn heads.  Sileage is chopped, not combined.  Jason's (Legacy Seed's) machine is a Pix-All.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 11:50:14 AM »

Those are corn heads.  Sileage is chopped, not combined.  Jason's (Legacy Seed's) machine is a Pix-All.

Easy to see that now...   I saw the machine go by at about 40 mph and was looking at it strictly from the side.  The small size was making me thing silage and the name on the side is what I was trying to see.

And they may both have corn heads on them but they used them to harvest soybean plots!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »

Change the head.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »

Unless they planted the soybeans in rows with a corn planter to keep them cleaner and separated - for testing reasons...
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2014, 08:16:14 PM »

A planter is a planter, corn beans, wheat...all the same planter.  You change the feed paramters and the spacing, thats all.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 09:12:20 PM »

I suppose with the new technology -

When I was learning we had a corn planter for corn -

and a grain drill for beans and wheat...    Two different machines
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 07:57:06 AM »

I suppose with the new technology -

When I was learning we had a corn planter for corn -

and a grain drill for beans and wheat...    Two different machines

Most farmers still plant that way.  Corn is typically a row-planter in 30 inch rows.  Beans are planted with a drill, in 7 to 10 inch rows, or with a different row-planter, in 15, 20 or 30 inch rows.  There is also a wide variety of dual row planters for beans, that gives you a dual row, 8 to 10 inches apart, and those dual rows are 30 inches apart.  Lots of variety out there these days.  Wheat is almost always planted with a drill, in 7 to 10 inch rows.

These are the pictures I took yesterday... 

These pictures that BRD provided are not of a combine with a corn head.  That head is used for beans.

If you look closely at the gathering chains, there aren't any!  Lol
The feeding mechanism is totally different than a corn head, and I looked on their website to make sure, and the corn head they do make looks very different from this.  This head is their all-purpose head, which is used for soybeans.  My guess is that this head design (as opposed to a standard cutter bar) helps to eliminate harvesting stray weeds, and helps to recover plants that have fallen over.  They also make a cutter bar head, that I assume they use for wheat.

Many years ago, John Deere used to make a soybean header for their combines, that looked like a corn head with the pointy snouts, but was used strictly for harvesting soybeans planted in rows.  If memory serves me right, those were 20 inch rows.  I think that was an experiment that never caught on, though.

The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 08:06:09 AM »

These pictures that BRD provided are not of a combine with a corn head.  That head is used for beans.

If you look closely at the gathering chains, there aren't any!  Lol
The feeding mechanism is totally different than a corn head, and I looked on their website to make sure, and the corn head they do make looks very different from this.  This head is their all-purpose head, which is used for soybeans.  My guess is that this head design (as opposed to a standard cutter bar) helps to eliminate harvesting stray weeds, and helps to recover plants that have fallen over.  They also make a cutter bar head, that I assume they use for wheat.

Many years ago, John Deere used to make a soybean header for their combines, that looked like a corn head with the pointy snouts, but was used strictly for harvesting soybeans planted in rows.  If memory serves me right, those were 20 inch rows.  I think that was an experiment that never caught on, though.

Glad to hear that livewire...   I was starting to doubt what I had seen (and photographed)!  I was about ready to drive back over there and see if maybe there were some nearby test plots of corn they had been harvesting...   but I didn't remember seeing any corn plots!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 08:13:20 AM »

Most farmers still plant that way.  Corn is typically a row-planter in 30 inch rows.  Beans are planted with a drill, in 7 to 10 inch rows, or with a different row-planter, in 15, 20 or 30 inch rows.  There is also a wide variety of dual row planters for beans, that gives you a dual row, 8 to 10 inches apart, and those dual rows are 30 inches apart.  Lots of variety out there these days.  Wheat is almost always planted with a drill, in 7 to 10 inch rows.

Did any of you ever see (bonus points if you used one) a trip cable planter?

I only ever recall seeing one up in our area.  You'd have to string a cable across the field.  The cable had a ball on it every 30" (most likely) that would 'trip' the planter.  That way you ended up with equally spaced rows 'both directions' and you could cultivate across the field at right angles so you ended up with really clean fields.  Remember, this was before the days of 'Esteron 99'!!!

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »

Did any of you ever see (bonus points if you used one) a trip cable planter?

I only ever recall seeing one up in our area.  You'd have to string a cable across the field.  The cable had a ball on it every 30" (most likely) that would 'trip' the planter.  That way you ended up with equally spaced rows 'both directions' and you could cultivate across the field at right angles so you ended up with really clean fields.  Remember, this was before the days of 'Esteron 99'!!!

Never even heard of such a thing, Dawg!!!  Many years ago, I had a little truck farm, and I would do that with tomatoes, melons, and squash.  But I did it by hand!!  lol
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »

Never even heard of such a thing, Dawg!!!  Many years ago, I had a little truck farm, and I would do that with tomatoes, melons, and squash.  But I did it by hand!!  lol

Took me a bit to find the info...  it's called 'check' planting because it will look like a checkerboard when it's all planted and cultivated and growing.

Article:

http://www.farmcollector.com/implements/check-row-planting-by-the-book.aspx#axzz3I3vB26pZ

Here's a youtube: 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTP_qYzvKZs

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »

A couple more youtubes:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Jch8_KwJk

I'll bet there are still some of those stakes out in some barns that no one knows what they're for :o :o :o

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAJitXZ1Pxw

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2014, 07:12:30 PM »

Here's one I found 'online' so I can't just cruise around the county and get the answer...

another harvester with a fancy header on it...

I've never seen one in a Monroe County field but if I did I'd probably stop and take a few pictures ;) ;) ;)

Anyone know for sure what it is :o :o :o

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 07:36:10 PM »

Here's another one I wonder about...  obviously in Germany (you can see a flag in the background)...

what does that fancy steel tubing 'extension' on the wheel do ??? ??? ???

Sorry the picture is so big...  you have to slide over to see what I'm looking at!!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up