MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > A farm equipment question?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: A farm equipment question?  (Read 14449 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: A farm equipment question?
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2015, 12:25:58 PM »

LOL
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2015, 11:16:12 PM »

One of the reasons there are still a few different companies producing farm equipment. 

The history of farm equipment production over the years is almost as confusing as studying the old railroads.  Bankruptcy and merger was an almost daily event.

Not that I'd own one except maybe to pull a haywagon, my favorite brand/model is the Raymond Lowey designed Farmall.  Lowey gave the farm tractor some styling.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2015, 08:48:44 AM »

Not that I'd own one except maybe to pull a haywagon, my favorite brand/model is the Raymond Lowey designed Farmall.  Lowey gave the farm tractor some styling.

They started production on those in 1939 I believe.  My son has a 1949 (as close as we can narrow it down...  serial # plate is corroded bad) Farmall H.  Similar tractor to what my Dad had when I was a kid on the farm.  He actually had two of them before he had to go a little bigger and ended up with a couple of Allis Chalmers...   A WD-45 and a D-14.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »

This is actually more of a farm 'operation' question... 

Looks like they're just either spraying something but more likely they're injecting anhydrous ammonia.  My question is why do they appear to 'skip' a few feet between swaths?

This is actually down just south of Toledo Express airport and we were driving right in that area.  If you drag the map up just a couple of hundred feet you'll see what I was checking out.  It's the old 'Wabash Cannonball' railroad heading from Indiana over to Toledo.  This stretch has been converted (well, at least it's in the process) to a rail trail.  I want to take the mountain bikes (we've had them 10 years and never been close to a mountain with them) and ride at least part of the route.  It's over 60 miles so may have to do it in a couple of visits.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4779868,-83.9131048,130m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e3
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2015, 04:34:22 PM »

Maybe their GPS unit needs adjusting.  8*
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2015, 08:42:14 PM »

This is actually more of a farm 'operation' question... 

Looks like they're just either spraying something but more likely they're injecting anhydrous ammonia.  My question is why do they appear to 'skip' a few feet between swaths?

This is actually down just south of Toledo Express airport and we were driving right in that area.  If you drag the map up just a couple of hundred feet you'll see what I was checking out.  It's the old 'Wabash Cannonball' railroad heading from Indiana over to Toledo.  This stretch has been converted (well, at least it's in the process) to a rail trail.  I want to take the mountain bikes (we've had them 10 years and never been close to a mountain with them) and ride at least part of the route.  It's over 60 miles so may have to do it in a couple of visits.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4779868,-83.9131048,130m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e3

That is a standard 12 row anhydrous applicator.  If you look closely, their are 11 injection knives, to go between 12 rows of corn.  When the tractor turns around on the headland, they line up with the center of the next 12 rows, essentially skipping a row of corn.  Sort of.  There are two rows of corn between each pass, with no fertilizer between those two rows. This is the gap you see.  The corn in those two rows did get their dose of Nitrogen though, from the end knife in the applicator, but only from one side of the corn row.  That's the only way to do it, unless they had 13 knives, but then they would be applying Nitrogen twice in the end rows.

I probably didn't explain that very well...  Does that make sense, BRD?  Any questions?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:47:06 PM by livewire »
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2015, 09:01:27 PM »

They started production on those in 1939 I believe.  My son has a 1949 (as close as we can narrow it down...  serial # plate is corroded bad) Farmall H.  Similar tractor to what my Dad had when I was a kid on the farm.  He actually had two of them before he had to go a little bigger and ended up with a couple of Allis Chalmers...   A WD-45 and a D-14.

When we firstmoved here many. many years ago, I brought with me a 1949 Farmall A widefront dual fuel.  It  had an L59 Woods belly mower and while good for mowing the lawn, that was about it.

Old tractors are fun if you have the time and don't wamt to do real work.  Thats not me.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2015, 09:34:02 PM »

That is a standard 12 row anhydrous applicator.  If you look closely, their are 11 injection knives, to go between 12 rows of corn.  When the tractor turns around on the headland, they line up with the center of the next 12 rows, essentially skipping a row of corn.  Sort of.  There are two rows of corn between each pass, with no fertilizer between those two rows. This is the gap you see.  The corn in those two rows did get their dose of Nitrogen though, from the end knife in the applicator, but only from one side of the corn row.  That's the only way to do it, unless they had 13 knives, but then they would be applying Nitrogen twice in the end rows.

I probably didn't explain that very well...  Does that make sense, BRD?  Any questions?
I see you changed one but missed the other.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »

Their or there read the same anyway.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2015, 09:43:24 PM »

Their or there read the same anyway.
To an ignorant person perhaps.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2015, 08:00:12 AM »

That makes perfect sense. 

Now that I see what you're saying I realize there is corn already planted in the field but it doesn't show from the aerial photo.  I've watched them apply anhydrous around here but I guess I never looked at it from the air.  The pattern on the ground wasn't meshing with my mind.

Maybe their GPS unit needs adjusting.  8*

The perfectly parallel lines is what first caught my eye.  I grew up planting on the old 'H' and the front steering was well past it's prime.  It wouldn't go in a straight line for anything.  My Dad always explained it that your could get more corn in a crooked row ;) ;) ;)

Back then we would cultivate the corn.  Our cultivators had side shields to mount on the tractor but my Dad preferred to just 'go slow' and let the dirt push up closer to the corn.  Even then I wasn't into going 'slow' for anything (I learned eventually there were a few things that worked out better going slow) so I'd get the shields out and put on before I went to cultivate. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 08:12:09 AM »

When we firstmoved here many. many years ago, I brought with me a 1949 Farmall A widefront dual fuel.  It  had an L59 Woods belly mower and while good for mowing the lawn, that was about it.

Old tractors are fun if you have the time and don't wamt to do real work.  Thats not me.

Our next door neighbor had 40 acres and farmed probably 27 or 28 acres of it with a Farmall A.  They had several boys so that tractor was going all the time but it would get the job done.  At that time there were still a few neighbors farming with horses or mules so they were still ahead of the curve I guess.

The offset design of the A was to make it easier to cultivate.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »

Actually, the 'A' was called the Farmall A Cultivision.....

IH came out with a diesel version a couple years ago (offset PTO).  Don't think it was a big seller.

The offset PTO was a PITA.  Good for stationary application like a grain leg or hammer mill, but that was it and all the implements except the drawbar single bottom plow side mounted (the advent of the 3PH after the A came out), obsoleted the side mount implement.  Early Farmall's were dead PTO, that is, it was run through the main clutch.  Disengaging the clutch, disengaged the PTO too.  A PITA.

Today, the 3PH is being obsoleted by the european designed hook type attachment instead of the now used captured ball hookup.  The hook type is quicker and easier to hook up attachments to.....

I still have the drawbar plow from the 'A' in the barn, never in the ground.....

Mine was dual fuel, gasoline and 'distillate' (keroscene).  Started on gas, got it hot, closed the radiator shutters and switched to distillate.  If you ran it on distillate you had to make sure you were upwind of the exhaust stack or you got covered with oily film as it really didn't burn keroscene very well.

That was a WW2 thing for when gas was rationed.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »

Actually, the 'A' was called the Farmall A Cultivision.....

IH came out with a diesel version a couple years ago (offset PTO).  Don't think it was a big seller.

The offset PTO was a PITA.  Good for stationary application like a grain leg or hammer mill, but that was it and all the implements except the drawbar single bottom plow side mounted (the advent of the 3PH after the A came out), obsoleted the side mount implement.  Early Farmall's were dead PTO, that is, it was run through the main clutch.  Disengaging the clutch, disengaged the PTO too.  A PITA.

Today, the 3PH is being obsoleted by the european designed hook type attachment instead of the now used captured ball hookup.  The hook type is quicker and easier to hook up attachments to.....

I still have the drawbar plow from the 'A' in the barn, never in the ground.....

Mine was dual fuel, gasoline and 'distillate' (keroscene).  Started on gas, got it hot, closed the radiator shutters and switched to distillate.  If you ran it on distillate you had to make sure you were upwind of the exhaust stack or you got covered with oily film as it really didn't burn keroscene very well.

That was a WW2 thing for when gas was rationed.

I don't remember their A having a pto.  They would come and get one of our Hs if they were running an elevator.  They had someone come in and bale their hay and then they'd pick it up in the field and put it in the barn.

That drawbar mount plow is probably approaching serious 'collector item' status. 

Try putting an ad on Epay with some ridiculous minimum and you might be very surprised ;) ;) ;)

The one my son has still has dual fuel which is one of the ways we know it's pre-1951.  The radiator shutters are long gone.  If you didn't crank them shut and back open on a regular basis they tended to freeze up.  The small tank is long gone too. 

The Hs my Dad had both still had working dual fuel setups (this would have been in the early 50s).  One major problem was if you stalled it the tractor under a heavy load and if it didn't catch the very first time you tried to restart it then you probably were not going to get it started without a hassle.  The carbs have a 'drain' valve on the side so you can close the distillate tank and open the gasoline tank and force all the distillate out of the lines and carb (drain it on the ground today and the EPA will be looking over your shoulder).

The Hs had a special exhaust manifold setup to help heat the distillate mixture to make it more combustible.  Those parts all tended to freeze up if not used regularly too.

My IH Cub Cadet Lowboy 154 had a 'thermo syphon' radiator setup...  no water circulating pump.  The water heats up and rises and when it cools down in the radiator it falls by itself without a pump.  Works great as long as you keep the radiator clean.  Seems like at least the older As used the same setup.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:35:30 AM by BigRedDog »

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2015, 09:15:20 AM »

Well excuse the hell out of me.

I'll leave it the way it is, just to piss you off, mister grammar police.

They're.  Take that.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up