MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Monroe Target Closing

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe Target Closing  (Read 11174 times)

stimey

• Hero Talker
Monroe Target Closing
« on: November 03, 2014, 04:19:36 PM »

I was just notified Monroe Target Store is closing in January 2015.  Employees are offered a severance package or transfer.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Monroe Target Closing
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 04:25:56 PM »

I was just notified Monroe Target Store is closing in January 2015.  Employees are offered a severance package or transfer.

That can't be right stimey...

I've been getting all sorts of campaign crap in the mail that's been telling me how great the economy is doing in Michigan and how we're on the 'comeback' and things are all hunky dory...

Must be Target's research tells a slightly different story :-\ :-\ :-\

That's an absolute shame for all the employees...

at least they're waiting until 'after' the holiday rush...

still going to make for a not so great Christmas for their employees >:( >:( >:(
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 04:38:32 PM »

I wonder what their closing will do to the Mall of Monroe or whatever it's called now ??? ??? ???

Target actually owns their building so it won't be a direct loss of income to the mall but I'd think it will put a crimp on traffic to the rest of the stores!

Anyone got any thoughts or predictions on who-what will go in there next...

and how long it will take...

I'm sure it won't take long now that our economy is recovering so fast 8* 8* 8*
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

monroemuskrat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 04:45:17 PM »

The writing was on the wall..................all of the other Target stores have been remodeled or made into aSuper Target store.   There have been no changes here for 20 years.  Perhaps they will reconsider and open a Super Target close to Monroe.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:48:30 PM »

The writing was on the wall..................all of the other Target stores have been remodeled or made into aSuper Target store.   There have been no changes here for 20 years.  Perhaps they will reconsider and open a Super Target close to Monroe.

I know there's one on Alexis in Toledo but not sure where there's one going north... 

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »

The nearest one north is on Carpenter Road in Ypsi.
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

stimey

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 05:35:13 PM »

One of the employee's is very close to me and found out today and is heartbroken, supposedly it will be in the Monroe paper tomorrow.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »

Problem for many of those stores is their web presence - offering sometimes better deals than in store...

Me I prefer seeing before buying - just not a "mall" person.

They needed to be more where Lowe's and Kohl's are - in a stand alone location
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 09:50:15 PM »

there is a Target in Woodhaven on Allen Road...close to Homegoods and just across the street from Walmart....too bad about the store closing.....but the last few times I went in...selection seemed to be down on a lot of items I normally buy....I can't believe Kmart has outlasted Target in the battle of the big box stores....I haven't been in a Kmart in forever....
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:55:05 PM »

there is a Target in Woodhaven on Allen Road...close to Homegoods and just across the street from Walmart....too bad about the store closing.....but the last few times I went in...selection seemed to be down on a lot of items I normally buy....I can't believe Kmart has outlasted Target in the battle of the big box stores....I haven't been in a Kmart in forever....

Neither have I.  There is one in Adrian.  I rate K-Mart on a scale with Value City.....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »

I don't shop Target for anything anymore.  Maybe you can't find everything cheaper at one store but almost everything Target sells costs more than what you would pay somewhere else.
some things way more.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 09:58:49 PM »

Never set foot in a Target either.  Isn't Target owned by the guy who owns Virgin Mobile?
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 08:34:46 AM »

Well, I for one am rather devastated. I love Target! I do not shop at WalMart for obvious reasons, and Kmart is just horrid. Target is the only place in town that has several items we use regularly. I also shop them for back-to-school, kids shoes, housewares, and toys. Plus, they listened to Moms Demand Action and prohibited open carry in their stores, so they've earned my loyalty right there.

I did see a post on Facebook that said a Super Target will be opening on Telegraph when LZB moves out of its building. I have no idea if it's true or not, but that would be great!

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 09:11:48 AM »

Monique,
If you can remember where you read that could you post it or pm me ?
Thanks,
Mav
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »

Well, I for one am rather devastated. I love Target! I do not shop at WalMart for obvious reasons, and Kmart is just horrid. Target is the only place in town that has several items we use regularly. I also shop them for back-to-school, kids shoes, housewares, and toys. Plus, they listened to Moms Demand Action and prohibited open carry in their stores, so they've earned my loyalty right there.

I did see a post on Facebook that said a Super Target will be opening on Telegraph when LZB moves out of its building. I have no idea if it's true or not, but that would be great!

It wouldn't make sense to me to be closing the current store and then planning to re-enter the market again 18-24 months later. 

First off they're not only going to 'lose' their customer base in the area they are most likely going to actually 'alienate' a portion of that customer base.

The other major factor will be similar with employees...  some will find other jobs and won't have any interest in returning.  Some may be forced to move out of the area and won't want to or won't be able to return to work in the new store.  And of course some will definitely hold a grudge for being abandoned at a critical time :( :( :(

And then there's the process of getting approval for a new 'big box' store on that site.  I would guess it probably makes sense but I've seem quite a few strange 'twists' over the years when it comes time to change a property use!  I know quite a few people that would most likely be aware of a transaction of this size being forthcoming and I haven't heard a word other than lots of people "would love to see a _____________ store on the site"...  insert your favorite store and someone has probably proposed it!

On the other hand...   a store like that is probably quite likely to end up there...   just seems a bit premature to say it will be a SuperTarget store!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up