MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Monroe Target Closing

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe Target Closing  (Read 11169 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Monroe Target Closing
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »

I gave a local business a chance to match an online price recently.

It was on a part for a Ford, and I went out to Friendly Ford and showed them the prices I found online with the shipping and offered to buy it from them if they could get it for even just a little over that.

One of the websites I used was the Motorcraft online website.

They couldn't come close, and they complained about getting "undercut" by Ford online.

I don't know if they are contractually obligated to sell at higher prices - but I ended up buying the parts from a Ford Dealer online - they came in a Box from a Ford Dealer in Ohio, and I save about $75 what Friendly would have sold me the two parts for.

Hey - I will pay for customer service - but you have to be somewhat competitive at the same time.

That dealership in Ohio delivered good customer service.  They E-mailed me to confirm my make, model and Vin to make sure the part was correct for my vehicle, and followed up with me to make sure I was happy after the fact.  I will not hesitate to order from them again.

I kind of wonder why they could sell of that and Friendly Ford wouldn't to tell you the truth.

They apparently made money doing so - and I assume Friendly Ford also could have made money doing so if they would have wanted to.

Here is another thing - I like doing business with local businesses. 

However - if I am going to go to a Wal-Mart, or a Kohls, or a Dillards, or a Lowes, or a Tractor Supply - why not just order it from Amazon and save driving around?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »

No issue with me.  I buy from Amazon all the time.  Far as automotive parts, you already know what a stupendous markup they have.

Here's a good example of gouging.  Needed a group 31 battery for the tractor.  Went to TSC.  You'd assume they would be reasonably priced right???  They had an Exide Group 31.  Wanted 135 bucks for it.  Meanwhile I shopped online and found prices all over the place, from 50 to 200 bucks.

When buying a wet charged battery, the actual battery life begins when the electrolyte is put in, so, a wet charged battery sitting on a shelf somewhere is getting old and feeble, waiting for someone to buy it at a price not commensurate with it's age....

So happens the company I work for uses a pile of group 31's for their trucks so I checked.  Sure enough, they just got in from Exide, a whole pallet of 31's.  Nice and fresh, just filled.  Got one of those for retail over the parts counter for.....  60 bucks.  TSC wanted 135 for a battery that was who knows how old....  (you cannot go by the date punch on any battery because thats done when you buy it, not when it was filled), so the warranty date stamp means nothing....  Over 2 times what I paid.  Go figure.

The best battery to buy (if you can), is a dry charged battery, where you add electrolyte just before you install it.  You get a new battery that way, not some middle aged piece of crap that has been pineing on a shelf for who knows how long waiting for you (sucker) to buy it.

Myself, I buy everything I can from Rock Auto  Much cheaper than even autozone, and , they pay the shipping to my door...... and in many cases, it's OEM Parts they are offering.

Seems to be a rash of catalytic convertor cut off's in Monroe lately.  I can't see what the value is.  Bought a brand new cat for my jalppy for 120 bucks.  Not hardly worth cutting off and scrapping in my view.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2014, 04:06:41 PM »

If any of the Ford dealers depended on me to keep the lights on, guess what, they'd all be dark. ;D

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2014, 04:57:37 PM »

If any of the Ford dealers depended on me to keep the lights on, guess what, they'd all be dark. ;D

I tried Rock Auto.

They didn't sell them.

Trim Parts.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

ShorTea

• Hero Talker
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2014, 06:30:06 PM »

Hey - I will pay for customer service - but you have to be somewhat competitive at the same time.

However - if I am going to go to a Wal-Mart, or a Kohls, or a Dillards, or a Lowes, or a Tractor Supply - why not just order it from Amazon and save driving around?

All is well to have choices, most thriving communities have businesses for dining, shopping and entertainment. Sometimes a few box stores are thrown in the mix too, but all the businesses need support to keep the lights on. A community without businesses is sad, be it manufacturing, retail, or even health care.
Snuggle & keep warm.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2014, 07:18:23 PM »

I tried Rock Auto.

They didn't sell them.

Trim Parts.

Mill Auto Supply (if they are still around).

I checked, they aren't.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:23:42 PM by SidecarFlip »

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2014, 10:35:27 AM »

I think Ford must give dealers price breaks on parts based on volume.   Friendly Ford is locally owned, not owned by a large corporation that owns many dealerships like a lot of these online dealers.   Still, it makes it real hard to pay as much as 50% more for a part that shouldn't have gone bad in the first place.   That's Ford sticking it to Friendly Ford in two ways (and they all do it, that's just the example brought up here.)

Small businesses would do a lot better if they:
- Were open hours to accommodate working families.   Yeah I shop the chains--often on the way I drive by your dark store.  Then it becomes a habit and I do it on Saturday morning or Wednesday afternoon too.
- Maintained the inventory or solved the logistics issue of "we can order that for you and have it in a week or two"   If Amazon can get it for me in 2 days, at a lower price, delivered to my door, why should I wait and make a second trip?
- Work on your customer experience.   Sure the economy has been tough around here so you might not be able to afford to make the place a showplace, but still that's no excuse for a messy showroom.   And if your employees don't want to come to work dressed decent or treat your customers right, find some new ones.   And yes Mary, Bob was my sales guy but I really could care less that he is out for vacation this week and no one else knows what's going on with my project because you all work on commission and can't be bothered to take care of anyone else's customers.
- Don't put up a "Small Business Saturday" sign and tell me you don't take American Express and go on a rant.  Or put up sloppily hand written signs with all the rules that govern whether you let me do business with you.   Sorry I don't happen to have cash when I need a $3 item.   Your snotty attitude will be remembered when I need that $300 item.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »

You think some local customer services are bad...   

Wait until you have to deal with the quasi english speaking Indian's - who hear your problem but have a hard time understanding it or how to fix it...

If someone is subsidizing a business to put others out of business -
that is tough to fight against.
I will still stick with local when it's not unreasonable.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2014, 10:40:57 PM »

You think some local customer services are bad...   

Wait until you have to deal with the quasi english speaking Indian's - who hear your problem but have a hard time understanding it or how to fix it...

If someone is subsidizing a business to put others out of business -
that is tough to fight against.
I will still stick with local when it's not unreasonable.

I already dumped Comcast Prof!

Amazon customer  service rocks.

Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2014, 09:50:13 AM »

Shoppers of the soon to be closed Target store up in Bay City are getting behind a Facebook campaign to 'save' their store...

The obvious observation here (at least to me) is they should have spent more time shopping there and less time 'liking' the page :-\ :-\ :-\

http://www.mlive.com/business/mid-michigan/index.ssf/2014/12/bay_county_resident_behind_eff.html#incart_river

Is there a similar page for the store in Monroe?
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

superspice_10

• Hero Talker
  • Ahahahahahahaha !!!!!
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2014, 03:04:02 PM »

There was a Facebook page started by a local woman when they announced it was closing but that was cancelled well over a month ago ... It didn't help ... Still closing January 31 st ... And yes SOME of us are very sad ..
Here Kitty Kitty !!!!

Dead Time is 3:00 am.

Go # 88 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REBELOUS SINCE 1975 !!!!!!!!!!  8)

AND YOUR POINT IS ??? OH JUST SHUT UP , YOUR TIME IS UP NOW , MOVIN ON NOW !!!!!!!!  8*

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2015, 12:29:25 PM »

I was at the mall yesterday afternoon late...

I was surprised to see that the mall hasn't wasted any time in 'blocking off' any reminder or open view of the former Target store...   too bad they didn't do this with the old Sears store rather than let the cold breeze blow in there for so long :o :o :o

I happened to get an email while I was standing there taking the picture below...   so I checked it and 'wifi available' popped up on my notification bar!  I checked it and sure enough it was the 'Target Guest' wifi...

I could sign right on so it's still working just fine.  I checked it with Fing and I was the only one signed on!!!

A little more sanding and some primer and paint and no one will ever remember there was ever a Target store there :( :( :(

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »

We were at the mall today, wife wanted to go the the craft store.
When we got close, we saw the old Target store open.
They are selling fixtures, furniture, shelves and what ever was left over. Including the kitchen sink. Actually, they were selling two of them. I might go back and get a clothing rack or two.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2015, 01:08:45 PM »

The mall is looking pretty spiffy with the abandoned Sears and boarded up target with a TARGET shadow on the wall.   

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2015, 08:06:59 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up