MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Rezoning Could Turn Mall into Industrial Area

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rezoning Could Turn Mall into Industrial Area  (Read 10235 times)

Flanders

• Hero Talker
Re: Rezoning Could Turn Mall into Industrial Area
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2014, 09:52:57 AM »

I agree Tiny and I'm not familiar with the business end of Outlet Malls.  It seems that even Tanger Outlets in Howell are also doing very well.  It would seem that Monroe would do even better as they would attract shoppers from OH.  Either that is a very incorrect assumption or it was very mismanaged, either way, I don't see anyone ever trying it again. 

It's sad.  I always believed that area was one of Monroe's unique spots.  Great Lake access, marina's, golfing, camping, easy on/off for I-75.  Shame to see it become industrial.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2014, 10:05:57 AM »

Birch Run has over 130 stores and restaurants in their Outlet Center.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/pdfs/BirchRun.pdf

Why do they do so well?

They draw some tourist money (Frankemuth) and Oakland County residents.

Well, they have their 'civic center' right across the street...

it started off as an 'ice arena' but couldn't pay it's own way (sound familiar?)   Back in the day when a private developer first wanted to put an ice arena in the Monroe area it was planned to go out there in that area...   and then a 2nd developer proposed putting one up in Frenchtown...   Wow...  could the Monroe area support two 'tax paying' businesses that close together?  We never found out because the city jumped ahead and built one that didn't generate taxes...  in fact it seems to have become a giant tax sucker!!!

Actually, the one in Birch Run went broke and was foreclosed and has since evolved as the expo center (probably at a great savings)!  Anyway, it still has to help the overall 'draw' of that strip.  There is a big Buick-Chevrolet dealer...   We have that but a mile away...  and across those damned railroad tracks!

They have a big Meijer store just on the other side of 75...

we have a DNR boat launch ramp and a few marinas!

They have Tony's Restaurant which draws a lot of people off of 75 and it sets right across the road from the outlet center. 

Maybe a nice Chinese restaurant out there will help draw people off of 75 ;) ;) ;)

It's not far from Frankenmuth...

Up there 75-23 is a main tourist route...   here in our area 3 lane 75 is a main truck route to Canada...   soon to be expanded too!!!

Down here 23 is the main tourist route...   

just think if someone developed an outlet mall across the road from Cabelas' ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 10:24:02 AM by BigRedDog »
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2014, 10:10:11 AM »

I agree Tiny and I'm not familiar with the business end of Outlet Malls.  It seems that even Tanger Outlets in Howell are also doing very well.  It would seem that Monroe would do even better as they would attract shoppers from OH.  Either that is a very incorrect assumption or it was very mismanaged, either way, I don't see anyone ever trying it again. 

It's sad.  I always believed that area was one of Monroe's unique spots.  Great Lake access, marina's, golfing, camping, easy on/off for I-75.  Shame to see it become industrial.

People from Ohio prefer driving on smooth roads...  that stretch of 75 has been re-built a couple of times since we've lived down here and needs it yet again...   US 23 is much smoother overall so is a preferred tourist route. 

The 'Downriver' area of Michigan has always been known as an industrial (even lots of smokestack industrial) zone...   Monroe not so much but maybe just extending that down here is the best we can expect to get 8* 8* 8*
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »

Probably some of the same reasons why the "Northtowne" mall failed - that side of Toledo doesn't harbor people with tendencies to want to shop for stuff... 

There is/was no real draw even when it first opened and had stores.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2014, 12:57:33 PM »

Probably some of the same reasons why the "Northtowne" mall failed - that side of Toledo doesn't harbor people with tendencies to want to shop for stuff... 

There is/was no real draw even when it first opened and had stores.

Not sure I totally agree that the 'north side' of Toledo is the pits...

true, it's not Sylvania but Point Place is right there and it was only a half mile from the state line and Bedford Township has a pretty sizable population with literally no shopping!

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2014, 01:45:09 PM »

You already have the "Frenchtown Industrial Park" on the northeast side of I-75 and N. Dixie.
See how quick that place is expanding??? Johnson Controls and a Truck wash...and a few incidentals.
 ??? ??? ???
Add to that the already established area south of N. Dixie bounded by Detroit Ave.

Yeah, this area needs another industrial park like it needs another pizza place   ;D ;D ;D
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »

You already have the "Frenchtown Industrial Park" on the northeast side of I-75 and N. Dixie.
See how quick that place is expanding??? Johnson Controls and a Truck wash...and a few incidentals.
 ??? ??? ???
Add to that the already established area south of N. Dixie bounded by Detroit Ave.

Yeah, this area needs another industrial park like it needs another pizza place   ;D ;D ;D

I'm hoping that they make something to create more jobs - and light industrial would more than a outlet mall that can't attract an outlet -
Besides doesn't Monroe Township need to create their own industrial park -   no sense in land use planning and making one for the county...  we all want our own fiefdoms
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2014, 03:51:14 PM »

I'm hoping that they make something to create more jobs - and light industrial would more than a outlet mall that can't attract an outlet -
Besides doesn't Monroe Township need to create their own industrial park -   no sense in land use planning and making one for the county...  we all want our own fiefdoms
I've talked to some people when I do get a chance to attend the meetings and it's the same thing... Yes we want one and need one.... But not near my property. ;)
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »

I agree with Arpy 100%.

I know it's beating a dead horse but when that outlet mall was full there were a lot of jobs out there full and part time. Many even came complete with benefits.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »

I see someone tried breaking into one of the places
An alarm scared them off
Didn't know anything was even open
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2015, 06:56:45 PM »

Me and the girls were just having that same conversation......I didn't know anything was still out there.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2015, 10:04:32 AM »

Will be interesting to see what happens out on the Laplaisance strip in the next few years.

There has been some obvious restoration and improvement work going into the building that were part of the Harwood Plaza.  Now we have the recent purchase of the former 'factory outlet' with a promise to rebuild it. 

So, with the layover zoning we could certainly end up with some interesting 'neighbors' out in the area.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »

I never like the design or execution of the buildings, they always looked cheesey.  Gonna have to sink (literally) a bundle into the parking lots....  The asphalt is all shot.  Reminds me of Monroe County roads....;  Wonder if MCRC paved the lot originally???
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2015, 07:39:38 AM »

I never like the design or execution of the buildings, they always looked cheesey. Gonna have to sink (literally) a bundle into the parking lots....  The asphalt is all shot.  Reminds me of Monroe County roads....;  Wonder if MCRC paved the lot originally???

Seems that was a very popular 'design' at the time for outlet malls.  We've been by most of them over the years up and down I-75 and the ones built about that time all looked similar.  Like they bought one set of plans from an architect and then just built the same buildings dozens of times! 

As far as the parking lot out there...  I'm really surprised it has held up as good as it has.  That was all just 'muck' from being bottom land of Lake Erie at one time (back when that wooly mammoth was still around).  Back in the days when the 'harbor' for Monroe was at Bolles Harbor (before they straightened out the Raisin and added the current entrance)  Laplaisance Road was a 'turnpike' because they had to improve the road so much so teams could pull wagons into town. 

Will be interesting to see if they end up doing it right or if they just do a 'lipstick' job on it...   

right now I'm guessing they'll do the 'lipstick' job and let the next buyer (or bank) worry about it ;D ;D ;D

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up