MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > What are you thinking - (political version)

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 277   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you thinking - (political version)  (Read 216243 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: What are you thinking - (political version)
« Reply #645 on: October 09, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »

I saw the first local ____ for President sign a few days ago...

it was a banner mounted in the back of a pickup parked in a driveway on S. Dixie south of Albain.  Not sure yet if it's a permanent installation there or just someone visiting.

If you drive past our place you'll see a ______ for President sign in the front yard.  Been there for a month now....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #646 on: October 09, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »

I see an article on the front page of the paper today about the jail being 'over' capacity and various methods they're using to deal with the issue.

I wonder how long before they ask the taxpayers for more taxes for a bigger jail ??? ??? ???
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #647 on: October 09, 2015, 01:08:07 PM »

I see an article on the front page of the paper today about the jail being 'over' capacity and various methods they're using to deal with the issue.

I wonder how long before they ask the taxpayers for more taxes for a bigger jail ??? ??? ???

Maybe we could just release all the pot smokers instead?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #648 on: October 09, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »

Room for two more floors was built in the design  ;D

... and what exactly was the life expectancy of the Igloo jail?

That will have to be replaced in the future as well.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #649 on: October 12, 2015, 10:13:57 PM »

Robert Reich

Here’s what we know about Millennials (who range in age from mid-20s to mid-30s) and the economy, according to various recent surveys:

1. They’re burdened by more debt and less income than Gen X or baby boomers. They owe, on average, more than $35,000 on their student loans.

2. They have more financial responsibilities to their parents. Last year 20 percent supported an aging parent, spending an average of $18,250 on medical bills and other expenses — more than any other generation (according to TD Ameritrade's recent 2015 Financial Support survey).

3. They’re having a harder time finding a good job. Even those with college degrees are paid less than holders of college degrees a decade ago, adjusted for inflation. Almost half with college degrees are in work that doesn’t require a college degree. 23 percent are underemployed (according to Anthony Carnevale, director of the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce).

4. As a result of these financial burdens, more than half are delaying buying a house, 29 percent are delaying marriage, and 38 percent delaying children.

If you're a millennial, does the game seem especially rigged against you?
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #650 on: October 12, 2015, 10:48:57 PM »

And almost all of those conditions are the result of government screwing things up.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #651 on: October 13, 2015, 11:06:03 PM »

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #652 on: October 13, 2015, 11:16:40 PM »

Robert Reich

It’s commonly argued in Republican circles that Social Security is in crisis and the only way to fix it is to raise the age of eligibility for Social Security benefits. Chris Christie wants to boost the eligibility age to 69, for example. (The current retirement age is 66; for those born after 1960, it’s 67.)

What Republicans don’t say is that this change would have a hugely regressive impact – harming America’s poor far more than the rich. That’s because the poor die much earlier than the rich. In fact, according to a recent report from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, the gap is widening. A 50-year-old man in the poorest fifth of income can now expect to live to age 70, while his counterpart in the richest fifth will live to age 83. Which means the poorer man will collect only a year of Social Security under the Christie plan. (That 13-year gap between average lifespans of rich and poor is the widest on record, suggesting that widening inequality is taking a harsh toll on health. In 1980, the gap was just 5 years.)

Bernie Sanders wouldn’t raise the retirement age. Instead, he’d boost Social Security benefits. How? By raising the cap on income subject to Social Security (it’s now $118,500).

And of course the rich that stop paying at $118,500 will be the ones collecting the most.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #653 on: October 14, 2015, 08:48:58 AM »

Using facts pre-obmacare to make a post obamacare case - Interesting... 

How about putting more Americans to work - with better wages?

Even Hillary says all the current trade deals (including her husbands NAFTA) need to be thrown out... 

Repatriate our cash and manufacturing jobs is what would help.

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #654 on: October 14, 2015, 09:57:42 AM »

Hillary must be listening to Trump about what to do with the trade deals

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #655 on: October 14, 2015, 12:34:15 PM »

Interesting statistic came out of the debate last night...  I didn't know that we have more people incarcerated in this country than any other country in the world.  Interesting.

With all those 'inmates' why don't we (government) put them to work cleaning ditches, building roads, cleaning up refuse....like Joe Arpaio does in Phoenix....  because it's not right to force them to actually work....  bullshitte.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #656 on: October 17, 2015, 06:48:47 PM »

So I was out campaigning today....

Knocking on doors....

Talking to people...

Handing out literature...

Putting up yard signs...

Now - keep in mind - this is for Monroe City Council - and it is a "Non Partisan" Election.

Now - believe it or not - and I have no doubt that some on here will call me a liar, but the guy I am campaigning for considers himself a Democrat, and has in fact been active in the local Democratic Party. 

This is proof that I do on occasion support people who are Democrats, and in fact will take my time to help them campaign.

Anyway - as I knocked on doors I would explain what the individual was running for council for, their background, what they wanted to accomplish, their positions on issues. 

Several people would ask what the Party Affiliation was, and I would honestly tell them what I knew - without knowing whether it was a positive or a negative.  In the cases where it was clear that it was seen as a positive - I just let it go.  When the person rolled their eyes and said no way - then I had to say hey - I'm a pretty conservative person - and I am often accused of being a Republican, and I am out here campaigning for this person because I think it would be a big upgrade on Council, and he would be fiscally responsible, fight for responsible upgrade in services, and bring a common sense approach that has been lacking.

Anyhow - it amazed me how many people held his Party Affiliation against him....

Maybe I should have withheld it....
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #657 on: October 17, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »

So I was out campaigning today....

Knocking on doors....

Talking to people...

Handing out literature...

Putting up yard signs...

Now - keep in mind - this is for Monroe City Council - and it is a "Non Partisan" Election.

Now - believe it or not - and I have no doubt that some on here will call me a liar, but the guy I am campaigning for considers himself a Democrat, and has in fact been active in the local Democratic Party. 

This is proof that I do on occasion support people who are Democrats, and in fact will take my time to help them campaign.

Anyway - as I knocked on doors I would explain what the individual was running for council for, their background, what they wanted to accomplish, their positions on issues. 

Several people would ask what the Party Affiliation was, and I would honestly tell them what I knew - without knowing whether it was a positive or a negative.  In the cases where it was clear that it was seen as a positive - I just let it go.  When the person rolled their eyes and said no way - then I had to say hey - I'm a pretty conservative person - and I am often accused of being a Republican, and I am out here campaigning for this person because I think it would be a big upgrade on Council, and he would be fiscally responsible, fight for responsible upgrade in services, and bring a common sense approach that has been lacking.

Anyhow - it amazed me how many people held his Party Affiliation against him....

Maybe I should have withheld it....

You're that worried the Mayor won't be re-elected?
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #658 on: October 17, 2015, 10:40:08 PM »

Interesting statistic came out of the debate last night...  I didn't know that we have more people incarcerated in this country than any other country in the world.  Interesting.

With all those 'inmates' why don't we (government) put them to work cleaning ditches, building roads, cleaning up refuse....like Joe Arpaio does in Phoenix....  because it's not right to force them to actually work....  bullshitte.
That must be per capita. We have more in prison than China and India? I doubt it.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #659 on: October 18, 2015, 08:36:47 PM »

I must say that either Trump is pretty popular out here or someone is pretty cheap out here....

Someone absconded with my 'Trump for President' sign I had in the fromt yard a couple nights ago.  It wasn't free but thats ok.  I guess someone needed one....

If I put a 'Hilliary for President' sign out front, it would probably be there until it faded into oblivion... ;D
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 277   Go Up