MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > What are you thinking - (political version)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 279   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you thinking - (political version)  (Read 220799 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: What are you thinking - (political version)
« Reply #315 on: May 29, 2015, 10:45:33 PM »

Have known all that for years now Flip!

The average citizen is under the assumption we are however.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #316 on: May 30, 2015, 04:34:07 PM »

The average citizen is under the assumption we are however.

Maybe when the coal power plants start closing up they will realize that elections have consequences - and Presidents should not act like dictators.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #317 on: June 01, 2015, 12:52:57 PM »

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jun/01/justices-rule-for-muslim-denied-job-over-headscarf/?in-other-news

Interesting that we are extending religious symbolism for some - yet they keep trying to restrict Christianity -

If anything the workplace should be free of religious symbols...   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #318 on: June 01, 2015, 01:04:29 PM »

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/jun/01/justices-rule-for-muslim-denied-job-over-headscarf/?in-other-news

Interesting that we are extending religious symbolism for some - yet they keep trying to restrict Christianity -

If anything the workplace should be free of religious symbols...   

Restrict Christianity?  Making laws designed so Christians can discriminate is restricting them?  So, by your argument someone Christian can be denied a job? 

No one should be discriminated for their religion, and no religion should be given preferential treatment, as some radical  Christians want.
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #319 on: June 01, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »

I didn't read that Abercrombie and Fitch was a radical Christian company  -where did you get that?   

I prefer my sex politics and religion outside of the workplace -   we have laws on sexual issues at work - and probably could use some on the other two...     But I guess now all you have to do is say it's a religious article of clothing and you can wear anything -   I can see Jesus Sandals coming into play  ;)

And on the issue of restricting Christianity - yes we have had many instances of Christianity being repressed through the courts - under the misguidance of a principle called separation of Church and State... 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #320 on: June 01, 2015, 04:31:55 PM »

I didn't read that Abercrombie and Fitch was a radical Christian company  -where did you get that? 

I didn’t say that, you made it up.

I prefer my sex politics and religion outside of the workplace -   we have laws on sexual issues at work - and probably could use some on the other two...     But I guess now all you have to do is say it's a religious article of clothing and you can wear anything -   I can see Jesus Sandals coming into play   

Sadly for you, the whole “religious accommodation” is nothing new and settled in SCOTUS long ago. The person that did the hiring knew she was probably wearing a head scarf for religious purposes.  That was enough that the hirer knew she needed a religious accommodation.  Possibly the only thing close to wearing a scarf for a Muslim woman is a Christian wearing a cross necklace.  People often get the religious accommodation of having Sundays off.

But, for you to say Christians are picked on and a Muslim gets some new law made to accommodate her is stupid.  It was OLD CONSTITUTION not a new interpretation.

And on the issue of restricting Christianity - yes we have had many instances of Christianity being repressed through the courts - under the misguidance of a principle called separation of Church and State...

NO.  People have attempted, and are once again, of trying to force the government to endorse Christianity only.  You may not LIKE the Constitution, but it is what makes us who we are.  Wanting to vacate the Constitution and make us a state sponsored Christian nation is as bad as the terrorists wanting a Muslim nation.

Christianity is not being repressed in any way.  You can go to any church you wish, of which every town in America has many.  You can pray all you want and publicly say you are Christian without fear of being arrested.  I can recall zero times of someone not being hired because they are Christian.  Claiming Christianity is repressed is ludicrous.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #321 on: June 01, 2015, 06:04:35 PM »

I prefer my sex politics and religion outside of the workplace -   we have laws on sexual issues at work - and probably could use some on the other two...     But I guess now all you have to do is say it's a religious article of clothing and you can wear anything -   I can see Jesus Sandals coming into play  ;)

Aka:  Jeruselum Sliders...... ;D

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #322 on: June 02, 2015, 10:50:49 PM »

so you have caught the reading comprehension problem you claim others seem to have

I stated that it's a product of our society and the "where you choose to work" issue... 

Your neighborhood teachers make much more because they live in a Nuclear Power Plant neighorhood! and can afford to pay much more than Airport schools who don't have much in the way of "industrial" tax base... 

Has nothing to do with education or work ethic -it's about where you live/work   8*
The gist of what you said in that prior post is still indicative that you don't feel teachers are worth what they're being paid.

Of course you backpedaled in the second paragraph...but that's akin to saying something completely false and partisan...and then trying to play it off as humor.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/may/28/airport-teachers-pickets-protest-months-long-absen//?news

I'm thinking that lots of people would like to start a job at 40k with benefits...  and summers off.   ;D
http://www.airportschools.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_1282167/File/TeachersColBarg2011-13.pdf

I'm not saying they aren't worth more - but the way the society has chosen to pay teachers/police/fire/...  is that you get more if you are in a rich area or have a large taxpayer base...  (Monroe PD was a training ground for years to other departments that paid more)

What tax base is in airport school district?
So less affluent areas deserve less in terms of an education?
(And perhaps less of everything else as well in your eyes)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/10/18/poor-kids-who-do-everything-right-dont-do-better-than-rich-kids-who-do-everything-wrong/
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2015, 06:31:54 PM »

That isn't what he said Dickweed.

Why don't you Dickweed?

Are you afraid of the Admin?

He didn't say what you accused him of.

But if you want to report me for telling the truth - go right on ahead.

Gosh, can you ever, even once in your pitiful life act polite and civil to someone.  Nah, that is obvious you can't.

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2015, 06:32:31 PM »

Somebody please report that ahole.

I tried with google and explorer and neither would work.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2015, 10:01:03 PM »

Guess they don't like you either....lol

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2015, 10:19:11 PM »

The gist of what you said in that prior post is still indicative that you don't feel teachers are worth what they're being paid.

Of course you backpedaled in the second paragraph...but that's akin to saying something completely false and partisan...and then trying to play it off as humor.
So less affluent areas deserve less in terms of an education?
(And perhaps less of everything else as well in your eyes)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/10/18/poor-kids-who-do-everything-right-dont-do-better-than-rich-kids-who-do-everything-wrong/

No humor no backpedaling - just saying how the system works...   Kind of how you get your taxes low for the services and roads and other extra's

For instance you live in the land of Fermi bucks...  so anything you vote on collects much more $$   

I don't make the rules -   I was commenting on how the system works in Michigan...

It does appear however that the Salaries have equalized in the county - since the change in funding years ago - so maybe that's what the teachers are complaining about with no raises...   Granholm's effects are still being felt.
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #327 on: June 04, 2015, 08:45:59 AM »

Restrict Christianity?  Making laws designed so Christians can discriminate is restricting them?  So, by your argument someone Christian can be denied a job? 

No one should be discriminated for their religion, and no religion should be given preferential treatment, as some radical  Christians want.

Stop putting words in other people's mouths.

I think what the good Prof was talking about is that everyone seems to be bending over backwards to accommodate Muslims, while Christians are being told they can't display something as simple as a nativity scene, or play Christmas music in public.

Displaying a cross, or a nativity scene, or having a Christian Bible study is forbidden.  But spending $25,000 so Muslims can wash their feet before they pray is OK?  I don't think so.

Here is an article from eight years ago, and it has steadily gotten worse, with time.

DEARBORN, Mich. — When pools of water began accumulating on the floor in some restrooms at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, and the sinks pulling away from the walls, the problem was easy to pinpoint. On this campus, more than 10 percent of the students are Muslims, and as part of ritual ablutions required before their five-times-a-day prayers, some were washing their feet in the sinks.

The solution seemed straightforward. After discussions with the Muslim Students’ Association, the university announced that it would install $25,000 foot-washing stations in several restrooms.

But after a Muslim student at Minneapolis Community and Technical College slipped and hurt herself last fall while washing her feet in a sink, word got out there that the college was considering installing a footbath, and a local columnist accused the college of a double standard — stopping a campus coffee cart from playing Christmas music but taking a different attitude toward Islam.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/07/education/07muslim.html?n=Top%2FReference%2FTimes%20Topics%2FOrganizations%2FU%2FUniversity%20of%20Michigan%20&_r=0
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #328 on: June 04, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »

U.S. citizens have no rights anymore.  The liberals have turned the country over to foreigners.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #329 on: June 04, 2015, 11:49:26 AM »

U.S. citizens have no rights anymore.  The liberals have turned the country over to foreigners.

Amen Brother
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 279   Go Up