MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > What are you thinking - (political version)

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 280   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you thinking - (political version)  (Read 222921 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: What are you thinking - (political version)
« Reply #690 on: November 05, 2015, 09:55:34 PM »

We already have a place for that in the City of Monroe.

Its called the Sawyer House.
Now that the Park system isn't interested..  it will be back available for the public I guess.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #691 on: November 07, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »

I think it would be more beneficial to make the county a WIFI Hotspot - we'd probably all die of cancer - but oh well - and the ones who couldn't afford a computer could come in and get their free one.  I think it would probably cost less.

I can access the U of M Library collection from my laptop.

All the books I read are in electronic format now.

Why do we need more buildings at this point of history?

I went to a meeting and said that.

I suggested using the empty third floor of the City Hall to make a technology library, with computers wall to wall.  They could get the computers donated by corporations who are updating their equipment - it would be a nice tax write off for them.

They all looked at me like I was a retard.

Whatever.

Someones out of touch, and its not me.

Makes sense to me as well......even the part about what they looked at you as.  (Before you get bent, I am joking).

Do you know what the cost would be to make the entire county a hot spot?  I have no clue what that cost would be but it would certainly weigh in as part of the equation in centralizing/downsizing the public library operation.  Hell, let the library system set it up and administer it with the revenue that comes in from truck fines.

I just happen to think that technology has really put a dent in the need of huge library buildings and branch facilities. 
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #692 on: November 07, 2015, 10:30:14 AM »

I need to get a couple "Hillary for Prison" stickers for the bumpers....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #693 on: November 07, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »

I need to get a couple "Hillary for Prison" stickers for the bumpers....

If you see them - pick me up one?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #694 on: November 07, 2015, 11:33:53 PM »

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #695 on: November 08, 2015, 09:04:11 AM »

I think it would be more beneficial to make the county a WIFI Hotspot
They all looked at me like I was a retard.

Whatever.

That would be a great idea, but do you remember how much trouble the county had just trying to make the new police/fire radio system work. It took years.

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #696 on: November 08, 2015, 09:17:09 AM »

That would be a great idea, but do you remember how much trouble the county had just trying to make the new police/fire radio system work. It took years.

I thought it would have been a great idea for downtown...  but I guess the logistics of putting wifi isn't something that Custer left a blueprint for... 

Maybe the new technology friendly/social media rep for the City can change this.
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #697 on: November 10, 2015, 01:43:34 PM »

I know some "professors" are liberals...   ;D

It appears that one involved in the Missouri boycotts and demands for firings are against free speech as well...

I'm sure this professor has the protections however and won't be disciplined  8*

The Washington Post (Justin Wm. Moyer and Michael E. Miller, Morning Mix) reports, “Video shows U. of Missouri protesters and professor barring media coverage.” (Of course, asking people to stop photographing is itself protected speech; a crowd’s deliberately physically pushing photographers out of the way is not.)

The professor, whom the New York Times (Austin Huguelet & Daniel Victor) identifies as Melissa Click, is shown on the video (06:23) as calling for “Hey, who wants to help me get this reporter out of here! I need some muscle over here!” Prof. Click is a professor in the University of Missouri Communication Department. Check out the Moyer and Miller post for more.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/11/10/the-anti-free-speech-movement-at-the-university-of-missouri/
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #698 on: November 10, 2015, 05:41:53 PM »

You are right.

And they never did get the GPS system working for the County Road Commission.

Maybe have ATT do it?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #699 on: November 10, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »

It appears the Missouri boycotts and demands for firings are against free speech as well...

I'm not up on all the details that led to the protest other than the claim that a couple of students were called N-----.  While that is a no-no for caucasians to say, it's a common term for blacks to use between themselves.

The point I am wondering about is . . . 

Demanding and getting the President of a University to resign for something like this seems like it sets a very dangerous precedent. Now, after they hire another president, will he be required to step down the next time someone calls a black person a N-----?  If a black person calls a white person a honky, can a group demand the firing of a college president?

Before you just say no, think about why it would be any different.

A damn football team should not have the power to dictate University policy.
I realize there was $1million at stake, but a college is primarily for education, not sports anyway.

Other than teaching a few students that this country is so F----- U- with political correctness that they can write their own rules any time someone calls them a derogatory name, what good is it going to do by putting someone out of a job. Hell, he wasn't the one who called them anything. How is getting rid of him going to stop the next idiot from calling names. These students better get a lot tougher skin, because when they go out in the real world, there are a lot more things to make a stink about than someone calling names.

There must be a lot more to this story than what I'm aware of.
I'll say it again, I haven't seen this much racial tension in the last 30 years.
And it all started in the last 5-6 years. Hmmm, what changed?

Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #700 on: November 10, 2015, 06:54:05 PM »

I was down there when the news broke, but I didn't pay attention to it in detail at all.  Of course the St. Louis media, who love a racially charged story, jumped out with their slant on it.

I agree fundamentally that colleges are meant for education, and also the possible precedence in buckling to the student body.......be it justified in this instance or not.

If the guy did something stupid and racist, then it should have been up to the administration or chancellors of the college to step up and have fired him.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #701 on: November 10, 2015, 06:58:11 PM »

You are right.

And they never did get the GPS system working for the County Road Commission.

Maybe have ATT do it?
That was an entirely different system, however the Police to have GPS locators that work...  used to be "fun" watching them back when I was working. 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #702 on: November 10, 2015, 07:09:24 PM »

I was down there when the news broke, but I didn't pay attention to it in detail at all.  Of course the St. Louis media, who love a racially charged story, jumped out with their slant on it.

I agree fundamentally that colleges are meant for education, and also the possible precedence in buckling to the student body.......be it justified in this instance or not.

If the guy did something stupid and racist, then it should have been up to the administration or chancellors of the college to step up and have fired him.

The president didn't do anything - they just claim he wasn't succumbing to their "demands" fast enough... 

Here are the 8 demands:

The first of those demands required a “handwritten” apology from President Tim Wolfe that included:

Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-­0 demands.
With Wolfe’s exit yesterday, the following demands are still on the table. You can judge for yourself whether they are fair:

2) A new amendment to the UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

3) We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians’ demands that were presented in the 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

4) We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff and faculty of color.

5) We demand that by the academic year 2017-18, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff members campus-wide by 10 percent.
According to Missouri’s website, about 7% of enrollment in fall of 2014 was black, while just 3.25% of faculty was black. Missouri will have an uphill climb to reach those numbers by the fall of 2017.

The demands continue:

6) We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10-year plan on May, 1 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

7) We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals, particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

8) We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources and personnel for the social justice centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus and increasing campus-wide awareness and visibility.
The University of Missouri was founded in 1839 and served more than 35,000 students during the 2014 academic year.

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/11/466606-read-the-absurd-list-of-demands-u-of-missouri-students-just-dropped-on-their-university/
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #703 on: November 10, 2015, 07:12:19 PM »

... or in other words put race instead of qualifications in the decision making process... 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #704 on: November 10, 2015, 07:45:41 PM »

Interesting precedence being started here.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 280   Go Up