MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > What are you thinking - (political version)

Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 279   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you thinking - (political version)  (Read 220780 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: What are you thinking - (political version)
« Reply #3915 on: December 29, 2018, 08:40:15 AM »

Will be interesting to see how long the "government"  remains shut down

I heard the food stamp program will be curtailed in February if the gummit remains in 'shutdown'  That will be interesting.

Nothing changes that I can see.  Life goes on uninterrupted in Deerfield. roads remain poor, people still drive like idiots and State and Federal governments still take their slice, nothing changes, life goes on.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3916 on: December 29, 2018, 09:15:36 AM »

Still collecting taxes -  even though the IRS is supposed to be in the unfunded portion
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3917 on: December 29, 2018, 09:39:51 AM »

They still have to pay the congressmen

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3918 on: January 10, 2019, 06:00:50 PM »

It's official.

Not even the City Manager of the City of Monroe wants to live in the City of Monroe.

What a ringing endorsement this makes.

I suggest that all the residents of the City follow the lead of the City Manager - and get out.

https://www.monroenews.com/news/20190109/monroe-council-agrees-to-amend-city-managers-contract
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3919 on: January 14, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »

It always amazes me the type of idiots that some news papers chose to employ.

A prime example of this can be read weekly in the Monroe Evening News.

Caitlin Taylors wonderful poorly thought out column this week was on how wonderful it is that our fine Governor has ordered that employers provide contraceptives.

My first thought - wasn't this part of Obscure?

Why would a Governor even need to order it?  Barry already took care of this.

Next thought - was on how naive this young lady is.

Her closing statement was:

So basically, I’d say Whitmer’s decision was a positive one — and one that’ll help no matter your side of the political spectrum.

So this young lady is totally oblivious that some people find contraceptives morally wrong based on religious convictions?  Are you kidding me?  Where was she as multiple businesses went to the supreme court over this issue?

I just don't understand how this individual can consider themselves a journalist with this level of understanding on issues like this.

Baffling.

https://www.monroenews.com/news/20190114/caitlin-taylor-whitmers-order-on-contraceptives-good-for-women
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3920 on: January 14, 2019, 10:46:04 PM »

Still waiting for Democrats to raise the issue that its a crisis for the 800k  employees not being paid -  Trump has cleverly put them at a disadvantage on that -  as he didn't go that route -  as they all thought he would.   

But let Nancy call it one - and He'll be there in a minute!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3921 on: January 21, 2019, 02:11:38 PM »

Caitlin Taylors wonderful poorly thought out column this week was on how wonderful it is that our fine Governor has ordered that employers provide contraceptives.

So this young lady is totally oblivious that some people find contraceptives morally wrong based on religious convictions?  Are you kidding me?  Where was she as multiple businesses went to the supreme court over this issue?

I just don't understand how this individual can consider themselves a journalist with this level of understanding on issues like this.

Baffling.

https://www.monroenews.com/news/20190114/caitlin-taylor-whitmers-order-on-contraceptives-good-for-women

I've read some of her missives.  Very amateur.  I wonder if the MN is paying her or if she is paying them to allow her to put that drivel in the paper?

Not baffling to me.  I can smell an idiot a long way off.

pumpknpatchpatty

• New Talker
« Reply #3922 on: January 26, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »

The title of this thread is: 'what are you thinking? - (political version)'

I'm thinking 2019 might represent the beginning of a bit of rough road for the US economy, what with the CPTPP coming online in February, the EPA gearing up, and the drive to make MERCOSUR a viable entity, not to mention the China-US tariff war. Then there's the initiative to have the global economy 100% fortified with blockchain technology by 2020, Brexit, and the rocky road the EU is jostling down. And, least anyone forget, there is that $ 22 trillion (and growing) deficit sitin in the corner of the room, humming its own rendition of Taps, with a party hat on!

Wonder how much $ the guvment saved by being partially shut down for 35 days? Prolly not much considering everyone gets all that missed-pay reimbursed to them. Wonder how many food stamp recipients budgeted their February lump sum to carry over into March? Probably not too many. Wonder how a person could get their hands on the amount of food stamp $ spent in January 2019 vs Dec. 2018 ? Is the guvment going to have to send April's stamps in March, if people didn't budget things out? Good thing gas prices are low, that frees up a bit extra $.

Some folks think America doesn't need its over-seas military bases. Japan and a few other American allies (soon to be former allies ?) in the region may not think so either as a few appear to be getting cozy with China while still talking to Washington. Japan, despite rhetoric to the contrary, is sending Japanese naval assets to take part in China's naval review in April 2019, which, coincidently, also marks the 70th anniversary of the creation of the PRC. Perhaps Japan has been watching how America treats its allies of late and sees the writing on the wall when it comes to the shipping lanes through the South China Sea. Not to mention, some of that $ 22 trillion + sitting in the corner of the room humming Taps is doing so in Japanese. Anyone with investments in Taiwan may want to take note of the fact the the little island seems to be the only nation in the region not playing footsie under the Chinese economic table.

Then there's Iran sending some of its naval assets to the Gulf of Mexico for a port visit in Venusuella.
One of those ships is capable of carrying nuclear cruise missiles. Didn't a US president object to Russian nuclear missiles being in Cuba at one point in the past? America still has a good-sized navy, but that will only be the case until left wing radicals in American guvment control the purse strings again and decide that there are more important issues to spend $$$ on than the military.

2019 looks to be starting off on an interesting foot.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3923 on: January 26, 2019, 04:13:53 PM »

Wow.

Questionable spelling.

Questionable grammar.

Could it be?.......
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3924 on: January 26, 2019, 10:16:35 PM »

"Nothing changes that I can see.  Life goes on uninterrupted in Deerfield. roads remain poor, people still drive like idiots and State and Federal governments still take their slice, nothing changes, life goes on."

Ah so true, so true. Then they hire their relatives and friends and ask for more and more. Nothing changes.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3925 on: January 28, 2019, 10:59:20 PM »

"Nothing changes that I can see.  Life goes on uninterrupted in Deerfield. roads remain poor, people still drive like idiots and State and Federal governments still take their slice, nothing changes, life goes on."

Ah so true, so true. Then they hire their relatives and friends and ask for more and more. Nothing changes.

One thing changes...  You have less change in your pocket....

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3926 on: January 28, 2019, 10:59:50 PM »

Wow.

Questionable spelling.

Questionable grammar.

Could it be?.......

It's not.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3927 on: January 28, 2019, 11:02:10 PM »

Baffling.

Maybe she wears a short skirt to work...... ;D

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3928 on: February 01, 2019, 03:31:01 PM »

I've read some of her missives.  Very amateur.  I wonder if the MN is paying her or if she is paying them to allow her to put that drivel in the paper?

Not baffling to me.  I can smell an idiot a long way off.

wow.... I haven't been on here in YEARS.... so, being trapped inside... thought I would take some time to troll the pages.... good grief... this woman is paid to write???? I understand that this must be an opinion piece but the least she could do is to attempt to make it look like she actually looked up some of these 'facts' before she wrote her column.... and quite frankly.... some of my high school freshmen could write a better paper.... sad....
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3929 on: February 03, 2019, 02:37:35 PM »

wow.... I haven't been on here in YEARS.... so, being trapped inside... thought I would take some time to troll the pages.... good grief... this woman is paid to write???? I understand that this must be an opinion piece but the least she could do is to attempt to make it look like she actually looked up some of these 'facts' before she wrote her column.... and quite frankly.... some of my high school freshmen could write a better paper.... sad....

I agree 100% with your view but then, far as I can ascertain, the only 'news' that comes out of the MN newsroom is what comes across the AP wire and even at that they miss the important stuff.

Her professional journalistic talents leave a lot to be desired.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 279   Go Up