MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Anyone using one of the OBD II plugs with your smart phones or tablets?

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using one of the OBD II plugs with your smart phones or tablets?  (Read 4677 times)

FritzTheKat

• Hero Talker
Re: Anyone using one of the OBD II plugs with your smart phones or tablets?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 01:21:08 PM »

torque-bhp.com/
I could be Schrodinger's Kat!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 10:49:50 PM »

Thanks!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 05:17:53 PM »

I ordered a couple of these over the weekend... 

I'll try them with both my tablet and my laptop when they get here. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 09:24:35 AM »

I have one. I use Torque (the free app). It works ok. I have problems with the Bluetooth connection occasionally.

They showed up yesterday and at first I couldn't get either one to hook up correctly with the bluetooth.  I did a little digging online and found where on the initial use you should turn the ignition to 'on' but not running before you plug the device into the test port.  Tried it that way and it linked on the first try.  The check engine light has been on in my truck even though it seems to be running perfectly.  I had taken it to AutoZone (my other OBD II reader broke a while back) and they have given me a very generic readout that it was a fuel system issue. 

This one told me that it was an issue of running rich on bank 2.  I was able to clear the code and I'll start over and try to figure it out closer.  I didn't download the paid version of Torque yet but will probably do that this afternoon and work with it some more. 

One really neat thing the app does is it downloads a route map with where you've driven.  Gives a point probably every 100 ft or so with the speed at that time!  Looks like a great way for someone to check up on their kids driving! 

Although I can also see a few devious uses for it too ;) ;) ;)

All in all I thought they are well worth the very few dollars they cost. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up