MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Toy Collecting

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toy Collecting  (Read 2068 times)

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
Toy Collecting
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »

I've recently started collecting toys again. If anyone has any old ones they'd like to unload, I'd be interested in looking through them.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
Re: Toy Collecting
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 03:55:04 PM »

The only things I have left from my childhood that are truly collectable are Matchbox and Hot Wheels they have all been used a ton and I know some may be worth a little cash but their values are probably seriously compromised because of condition.

When I was older I got into Starting Lineup Figures. I have a bunch of them but at this point wouldn't want to get rid of them. People still collect them but they're not real valuable.

Funny thing is I grew up at the height of Star Wars popularity and don't have a single toy. Was into baseball cards and playing sports outdoors so I just didn't do the action figures.

I have seen the Toy Collector show and am familiar with many of the toys he collects. Someone you knew either had it or maybe you even had it yourself. The only question was were you smart enough to hold on to them. I wasn't.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:43:30 PM »

We have quite a few. When our son, maybe before he was born. Somehow we started saving the toys from happy meal's, KFC, Burger King, etc. I think we have two footlockers filled with those toys still wrapped up in the plastic. There's some that didn't come wrapped up like the Looney Tunes cups that KFC had out. Our son's 20 now so I think some might be worth some good pocket change.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »

I still play with them...
I have a Lionel train set with boxes from1953. Lots of accessories.my grandson has but dad had to put away as buddies were to rough

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »

I collect mostly Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle action figures.

Most "happy meal" type toys go for $1-3 dollars with some very rare ones going for 5-10. At the right toy store you can still grab them for 50 cents. But it's all about who's looking at the time. I've seen some go for $25.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 05:29:40 PM »

I have seen the Toy Collector show and am familiar with many of the toys he collects. Someone you knew either had it or maybe you even had it yourself. The only question was were you smart enough to hold on to them. I wasn't.

I've seen that show and I don't know how many times I've kicked myself because I owned one of the toys they had and it was worth a ton of money! lol

I don't have many of the "old" toys. The only thing I can think of is my original Game Boy. Yeah, it's used, but in great condition. I still have it in the original box, too.

I'd like to find someone who knows a lot about old kids toys and furniture... I have a rocking chair from when I was about 3 or 4. It's hard plastic and it fits together like a puzzle. I have never seen another one like it until about a year ago. Live and I were driving and found one along the side of the road.
I researched the numbers and the company written on it, but I can't find any information except the patent for the design. I can't even find a picture of it online! I swear, it's like it doesn't exist...  :-\

Billy

• Hero Talker
  • Don't let the smooth taste fool ya!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »

I hear you ATG. I have some old Tonka's that were made of all metal except the wheels. They are roached after 40 yrs. a good ten of which were in the dirt and mud. I hear there is a market for them but having them reconditioned hurts the value so I just keep them around for childhood memories.

I used to have lots of 45 records (my family owned a record store) as soon as they were released I'd have it. My collection was in the thousands until when I was a teenager we thought it would be more fun to throw them like throwing stars. The collection is now probably about 100. I hate the fact that we ruined them and would love to have them today. Stupid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up