MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Things are heating up in Summerfield Township.....

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Things are heating up in Summerfield Township.....  (Read 24110 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Things are heating up in Summerfield Township.....
« on: January 21, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »

Trendwell Energy is proposing a brine water injection well on Ida Center Road (near Alcott) and has to get governmental approval.  Problem is, Monore County, for the most part, is a Karst region so injection of brine water and/or contaimiated fluids from well drilling operations in a Karst area could have wide ranging implications, not just in the immediate area but anywhere in the Karst region.

Pretty easy for contamination to travel in the Karst and appear miles from the injection point.

I understand the Monroe County Comissioners have gotten involved as well and are requesting a public hearing and discussion on the matter.

Will be interesting to say the least.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Things are heating up in Summerfield Township.....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 11:36:22 AM »

Trendwell Energy is proposing a brine water injection well on Ida Center Road (near Alcott) and has to get governmental approval.  Problem is, Monore County, for the most part, is a Karst region so injection of brine water and/or contaimiated fluids from well drilling operations in a Karst area could have wide ranging implications, not just in the immediate area but anywhere in the Karst region.

Pretty easy for contamination to travel in the Karst and appear miles from the injection point.

I understand the Monroe County Comissioners have gotten involved as well and are requesting a public hearing and discussion on the matter.

Will be interesting to say the least.

This just shows so many things that are wrong with the way government is set up in Michigan...

They don't want the 'locals' (the people who will have to deal with the possibly contaminated drinking water for ever and ever) to have a voice in this decision...

and yet we have people right here on MT who want to strip away the levels of 'local' protection even more >:( >:( >:(
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 01:08:18 PM »

If you haven't already seen it, there is a two full-page article on this in Jan. 20 issue of The Independent.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »

If you haven't already seen it, there is a two full-page article on this in Jan. 20 issue of The Independent.

I'm aware of it as well as the article that appeared in the MN last week.  CL was quoted numerous times in both articles so I'm in the epicenter of the fray...

I'm all for denial of the permit to inject for a couple reasons.  One, the water quality in this county (and surrounding areas) isn't that good to begin with (water pumped from the aquifier) but even more important is the implications of the injected fluids travelling in the karst (which is where the potable water (if you want to call it that is) for long distances and polluting anywhere in a wide area.  It's just too risky to even consider.

Trendwell is blowing off any responsibility stating there is no issue, but there is as evidence by one geologist recommending denial.

Far as I'm concerned, if they want to do this (and gain approval), that approval should be predicated on Trendwell posting a 20 million dollar surety bond that states they will (make whole) provide financial restitution and/or provide potable water for anyone impacted by the pollution from their injected fluids, plain and simple.

The permit app allows Trendwell to not only inject fluids from local (Summerfield Township) wells, but any well in any location that Trendwell owns and is producing oil from.  That basically makes the injection well (proposed) in Summerfield Township a waste dump for any and all Trendwell wells.

The thing that pisses me off about all this is, Trendwell applied for this permit 2 years ago (not recently) and no resident not local government was ever notified.  It was found out about by a local resident living in Ida Center road, brought to the attention of the Township Supervisor and went from there.

This permit could have very well been approved, Trendwell injecting hazardous waste into the ground, destroying the water and no one would be any wiser and of course Trendwell would be making money....  at the citizens expense.

It's all Bullshitte plain and simple.  It's about making money with the least amount of incurred expense and hell with the citizens.

This might occur on Ida Center (at Alcott road) but the implications and impact could be wide ranging because of the karst and how water travels in the aquifier.

This isn't really a Summerfield Township issue but a countywide issue and not just Monroe County, but Lenawee County too.

Trendwell needs to take their hazardous waste (brine water and dissolved components from drilling are considered hazardous waste) and dispose of it properly, not pumping it into the ground in Summerfield Township, especially in a Karst region.  How blindly stupid (greedy) can a company get?

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 01:46:07 PM »

Thanks for the input, Sidecar.   

draft permit can be seen here:
http://www.epa.gov/region5/water/uic/pubpdf/mi-115-2d-0002-draft-permit.pdf

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »

BTW, Trendwell isn't a local company.  They are a Michigan company but from up north.  They have no dog in the game except making money from the oil.

I remember back years ago, it was widely stated that Holnam mining on 23 (their limestone quarry had no impact on local (us) water, but interestingly, when Holnam quit quarrying and least the quarry proper (with limited use), we lost just about all the sulfur we had in out well water almost immediately so I don't buy into the premise that what occurs eleswhere don't have an impact in other places because in a Karst regoin, everything is interconnected underground.

Trendwell injects crap, something happens underground and everyone is impacted.  Not worth it.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:31:56 PM »

Anyone who lives in Monroe County (or Lenawee County for that matter) that gets their drinking water or stock watering water from the aquifer (ground) should be concerned and involved.

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 03:34:26 PM »

http://monroenews.com/news/2015/jan/15/proposed-injection-well-raises-concern-about-conta/?templates=tablet&news=

Monroe News article, includes link to full proposal
-.-.-

http://www.epa.gov/region5/water/uic/pubpdf/mi-115-2d-0002-fact-sheet.pdf

EPA is accepting comments from the public on this proposed permit approval (see box, left). The public comment period, which ends Wednesday, January 21, 2015, includes 30 days for comments as required by law, plus an additional three days for any delay caused by mailing.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 07:41:28 PM »

I believe the Monroe County Comissioners electronically contacted the Chicago Office requesting a hearing which I presume will be held in Monroe somewhere.  Our township hall is too small and they ain't coming to my house..... ;D

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 07:52:53 PM »

This just shows so many things that are wrong with the way government is set up in Michigan...

They don't want the 'locals' (the people who will have to deal with the possibly contaminated drinking water for ever and ever) to have a voice in this decision...

and yet we have people right here on MT who want to strip away the levels of 'local' protection even more
>:( >:( >:(

Actually from what I gather from the discussions - it appears the Locals didn't even know about it... 
Probably because they are small town - and the company probably figured they could run it by the locals - without much problem.

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 11:18:53 PM »

The law at the time only required Trendwell or the DEQ to send a copy of the application for the well to the County Clerk. The law has since been changed to make the DEQ/ Trendwell send a copy of the application tho the Twp Supervisor.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 10:05:26 AM »

The 20 million dollar bond sounds reasonable to me.  If they REALLY believe it won't affect local ground water, what do the have to lose?

What other methods are available to get rid of this crap they are proposing to inject into out ground?
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2015, 10:16:48 AM »

The 20 million dollar bond sounds reasonable to me.  If they REALLY believe it won't affect local ground water, what do the have to lose?

What other methods are available to get rid of this crap they are proposing to inject into out ground?

Hazardous landfill or injection into the ground in an area where the substrata is more stable.  It's not around there.

My big issue is, if Trendwell gets approval and opens this injection well, they can inject from any and all their wells, not just the couple in Summerfield Township, so, the well becomes a repository for materials from anywhere, sort of a liquid landfill at no cost to Trendwell (other than drilling the hole) and no revenue to Montoe County other than getting everyone's discards.

Even injection into the ground in a stable area has it's risks, if, you look into whats been occuring around Youngstown, Ohio.  There has been numerous injection wells drilled there to inject the fracking solutions from the Marcelleus formation and they have had siesmic activity because of it.

This isn't frack water, it's brine and other compounds but it very well could be anything coming up a well hole including radioactive compounds.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2015, 10:24:29 AM »

The law at the time only required Trendwell or the DEQ to send a copy of the application for the well to the County Clerk. The law has since been changed to make the DEQ/ Trendwell send a copy of the application tho the Twp Supervisor.

Correct and as it should be.  I believe it should be a publically published notice as well, with a longer comment time.

BTW, where do you stand on it?  It could impact you depending on where the injected materials migrate to (in the Karst) if they were to breach the casing or somehow percolate upward.....

The risk of contamination, either in the short term or in the long term is just too great to allow Trendwell to place an injection well in a Karst area.  In lieu of that, a 20 million dollar surety bond is in line with damages caused by them and/or their well, not the $318,000.00 bond they posted (required) in the app.  Thats nothing.

If Trendwell is so cock sure that there will never be any impact, they should have no issue with a $20,000,000.00 surety bond.  Put your money where your mouth is............

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2015, 11:35:15 AM »

My paternal grandfather was a water well driller so I probably have a higher than average understanding (and respect) for what happens 'down under'! 

What goes down there will eventually come back up...

the question is will it be six months...   six years...   six decades....  or six centuries ??? ??? ???

The disposal companies are hoping for the centuries and we need to fear for the months or years or even decades!

We can't drink the water out of Lake Erie in the summer and we may not be able to drink the water out of our wells at some point in the future...

sounds like there will be a lot of people drinking beer around here eventually!

At some point I'm afraid the US (and maybe world) population is going to have to make a decision on if they want petroleum or if they want drinkable water >:( >:( >:(
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20   Go Up