MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Things are heating up in Summerfield Township.....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Things are heating up in Summerfield Township.....  (Read 25602 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Things are heating up in Summerfield Township.....
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 11:37:38 AM »

The 20 million dollar bond sounds reasonable to me.  If they REALLY believe it won't affect local ground water, what do the have to lose?

What other methods are available to get rid of this crap they are proposing to inject into out ground?

I'm not sure if there are any...   maybe they need to invest some of their preciou$ profit$ in developing something! 

I'm thinking that the idea of just pumping it back in the ground is just the cheapest (most profitable) method they have!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 03:09:50 PM »

The law at the time only required Trendwell or the DEQ to send a copy of the application for the well to the County Clerk. The law has since been changed to make the DEQ/ Trendwell send a copy of the application tho the Twp Supervisor.

Aha so a Unified "County" form of government would have better served the "locals" with more timeliness information and response...    ;)

How many other things do part time local governments likely miss?
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:13 PM »

I'm not sure if there are any...   maybe they need to invest some of their preciou$ profit$ in developing something! 

I'm thinking that the idea of just pumping it back in the ground is just the cheapest (most profitable) method they have!

According to the article in the MN today (and erelated to them by the DEQ geologist, Mr. Lannagian, the brine can be sprayed on roads for dust control....  I would assume just brine.  Not brine and whatever else coms out of the hole.

As an aside, when pumping oil from a well or when the oil is free flowing (as is the case of the Trendwell well on Ida Center Road), the crude coming from the well bore is intermixed with things other than crude, like brine and other ingredients and the brine (and other ingredients) are seperated from the crude on site.  The crude leaves via truck and the rest stays... to supposedly be pumped back into the ground.  My comment is, they have been doing this right along (and hauling the brine and other ingredients away to be disposed of but now, want to do it on site...  why?  because it's cheaper thats why.  Hell with the Karst, hell with the residents water, hell with everything, it's all about money.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 05:55:02 PM »

The 20 million dollar bond sounds reasonable to me.  If they REALLY believe it won't affect local ground water, what do the have to lose?

What other methods are available to get rid of this crap they are proposing to inject into out ground?

Oh boy, just found out (a couple minutes ago) that CL will be the 'kingpin' in charge of the ongoing debacle.  Our Supervisor will be out of town for a week starting Saturday.

She's researching what the cost would be if a municipal water system had to be installed in all of Summerfield Township (if Trendwell contaminated the water supply with their injection well)  Not sure 20 million is enough bond.  Maybe 200 million?

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 06:51:44 PM »

Between developers hiding information and local governments doing the same it's a wonder we find out anything thats going on.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 06:56:36 PM »

Came real close to no hearing, no oversight, nothing..  Amazing.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 07:18:06 PM »

There's a formula per running foot for 12 inch main with fire hydrants and fittings if that would help. Last I knew it was $60 per running foot which generally included all engineering,parts, labor , restoration, testing etc.
I could get you a more accurate 2014 number based on other municipal water projects in Monroe County if you want. With a plat map you could figure out what the approximate length is of every road affected and you would have a pretty good estimate of costs.

Mav

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 07:46:26 PM »

There's a formula per running foot for 12 inch main with fire hydrants and fittings if that would help. Last I knew it was $60 per running foot which generally included all engineering,parts, labor , restoration, testing etc.
I could get you a more accurate 2014 number based on other municipal water projects in Monroe County if you want. With a plat map you could figure out what the approximate length is of every road affected and you would have a pretty good estimate of costs.

Mav

Thanks.  I use the $60 per running foot to start with.  Let's see Summerfield Township has 556,450 feet of road so that's $33,387,000.00 plus 1098 household hookups at $8000.00 each for an additional $8,784,000.00.  So $42,171,000.00 bond would cover it.  And that's conservative since the household figure is from 2011 and there have been some new houses built.  Does not include businesses.  So a bond would cost Trendwell $4,217,100.00.  Wonder if that's cheaper than paying a hazardous waste hauler and hazardous waste disposal fees?  But since Trendwell is so sure there won't be a problem, they should be willing to put up the money, right?   8*
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 08:02:26 PM »

The phone is ringing incessantly...  I'm gonna go to work tomorow morning....early.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 12:06:57 AM »

Your household hookup is way high but the point is well taken. That doesn't account for an actual "zone of influence ". If there was a problem it most certainly would not be confined to Summerfield township.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 12:44:42 AM »

That may be true but since we are talking "local" governments - they can't speak for their neighbors      that would be something at the "County Level" to address   ;)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 07:21:32 AM »

Your household hookup is way high but the point is well taken. That doesn't account for an actual "zone of influence ". If there was a problem it most certainly would not be confined to Summerfield township.

Just using the 33 million base rate (no hookups) gets the point across and thats just Summerfield Township, nothing else.

If Trendwell had any brains, they'd cease and desist, would be cheaper to haul it out to an approved landfill (like Willow Run) for instance.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 07:29:05 AM »

Between developers hiding information and local governments doing the same it's a wonder we find out anything thats going on.

State statutes don't appear to be written in favor of the citizens in this case >:( >:( >:(
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 10:03:29 AM »

FYI, the EPA is going to schedule a public hearing and comment on the Trendwell Injection well in the very near future (probably at Summerfield High School).

Dale Zorn, the Monroe County Board of Comissioners and many individuals have written the EPA in Chicago, expressing concern about the possibility of injecting waste products into a karst region, injecting could impact the entire county as well as Lenawee County adversely.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 10:12:37 AM »

FYI, the EPA is going to schedule a public hearing and comment on the Trendwell Injection well in the very near future (probably at Summerfield High School).

Dale Zorn, the Monroe County Board of Comissioners and many individuals have written the EPA in Chicago, expressing concern about the possibility of injecting waste products into a karst region, injecting could impact the entire county as well as Lenawee County adversely.

If I'm reading this map right the Karst region doesn't run much north of here but does run down into Ohio and Indiana...  hopefully the residents down through that region will get involved...   what goes down here could easily come up there :o :o :o

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Up