MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Parenting > Monroe police investigating abandonment incident

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monroe police investigating abandonment incident  (Read 2831 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Monroe police investigating abandonment incident
« on: February 12, 2015, 12:21:24 PM »

and involved a 6-year-old female, a 4-year-old male and their 11-year-old half sister, police reports showed.

This article brings up a question I've wondered about many times over the years...

How old is 'old enough' for a child to stay home 'alone'...

or to stay home and watch other children (as in this case) ??? ??? ???

Obviously a lot of the details and facts are missing from the news article.  One thing that does bother me is there not being a phone in the home.  Should that make a difference?

Read more at: http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/feb/12/monroe-police-investigating-abandonment-incident/
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Monroe police investigating abandonment incident
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 12:28:10 PM »

It just depends.. Some 11 yr olds are pretty mature.
As some 21 year olds aren't.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 12:45:22 PM »

It just depends.. Some 11 yr olds are pretty mature.
As some 21 year olds aren't.

I think all three of our kids were mature enough at 11 to watch younger kids...

probably not an infant, but 4 and 6 were the younger kids in this situation.

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 03:51:07 PM »

I was also thinking the same - as my granddaughter is pretty mature - at 9 but I wouldn't leave her alone with younger kids yet... 

Interesting on the phone as fewer and fewer have "home" phones...
are we going to need babysitter phones in the future?

I kept thinking... is this a custody battle case? 

Too bad there isn't much in the way of followup's on such stories... 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:05:13 PM »

I was also thinking the same - as my granddaughter is pretty mature - at 9 but I wouldn't leave her alone with younger kids yet... 

Interesting on the phone as fewer and fewer have "home" phones...
are we going to need babysitter phones in the future?

I kept thinking... is this a custody battle case? 

Too bad there isn't much in the way of followup's on such stories...

Also leaving them for an hour is a lot different than leaving them from 6am until 6pm...  or later :( :( :(

superspice_10

• Hero Talker
  • Ahahahahahahaha !!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:31:45 PM »

We ( hubby and I )had this discussion a few days ago ... I know I was babysitting at 9 or 10 , and he said he did too but that was in the late 60's early 70's so it was such a different time back then .... Now it's a hard desision .... My granddaughter ( she's going on 11 ) is just ( and I'm talking in the last month or so )  becoming comfortable enough to be home with the youngest ( he's 4) for a short period of time ... And I'm talking like 15 , 20 minutes TOPS and I think this has happened 2 times ..... But this is our " plan of Action" so she feels safe .... We all have iPhones so she " face times " me the whole time .... And knowing that I'm 2 blocks away and avalible to be there in a flash makes her comfortable to be there ... Usually they come here or my other grandson is around ( he's now 17)  .  Of course some " people " would not agree that even THAT is ok .... 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 09:34:30 PM by superspice_10 »
Here Kitty Kitty !!!!

Dead Time is 3:00 am.

Go # 88 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REBELOUS SINCE 1975 !!!!!!!!!!  8)

AND YOUR POINT IS ??? OH JUST SHUT UP , YOUR TIME IS UP NOW , MOVIN ON NOW !!!!!!!!  8*

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:56:53 PM »

We ( hubby and I )had this discussion a few days ago ... I know I was babysitting at 9 or 10 , and he said he did too but that was in the late 60's early 70's so it was such a different time back then .... Now it's a hard desision .... My granddaughter ( she's going on 11 ) is just ( and I'm talking in the last month or so )  becoming comfortable enough to be home with the youngest ( he's 4) for a short period of time ... And I'm talking like 15 , 20 minutes TOPS and I think this has happened 2 times ..... But this is our " plan of Action" so she feels safe .... We all have iPhones so she " face times " me the whole time .... And knowing that I'm 2 blocks away and avalible to be there in a flash makes her comfortable to be there ... Usually they come here or my other grandson is around ( he's now 17)  .  Of course some " people " would not agree that even THAT is ok ....

I think that's perfect...

great use of technology too!

you are certainly right that times were 'different' back then ;) ;) ;)

superspice_10

• Hero Talker
  • Ahahahahahahaha !!!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »

It gets even better , BRD .... She's on the basketball team at school ( 5th gr ) ... And my hubby has had a cold so I FaceTime him from my phone to my iPad and he can watch it at home , lol .... ( I think it's cheating , lol )
Here Kitty Kitty !!!!

Dead Time is 3:00 am.

Go # 88 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REBELOUS SINCE 1975 !!!!!!!!!!  8)

AND YOUR POINT IS ??? OH JUST SHUT UP , YOUR TIME IS UP NOW , MOVIN ON NOW !!!!!!!!  8*

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 09:02:15 AM »

Anyone heard any updates on this incident?

Pages: [1]   Go Up