MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Drones... the good... the bad... the ugly!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Drones... the good... the bad... the ugly!  (Read 14852 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Drones... the good... the bad... the ugly!
« on: February 20, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »

They've been in the news quite a bit lately...  under all 3 categories above!  I guess it's time to have a thread about them because it's only a matter of time that we'll be seeing them on a more regular basis...

in some cases they'll be right outside your own house!

Here's a website where you can register your property as a 'no fly drone zone'... 

my guess is that in most cases it won't keep anyone from actually flying over your property...

but if they do and you decide to use said drone for target practice and you succeed in downing it...

and the owner decided to take you to court...

maybe the fact that you had actually registered your property and they still chose to ignore your request...

maybe, just maybe, it will help with your case!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/hate-drones-this-new-website-lets-you-create-a-110632205119.html
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Drones... the good... the bad... the ugly!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »

First a few photos...

and now sending you 'specific ads' direct to your cell phone!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/marketing-drones-scanned-los-angeles-for-cellphone-location-data/ar-BBhZZOF
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 01:10:25 AM »

I have a couple nice 'anti-drone' rifles.  Invade my airspace and I'll shoot you down.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 06:44:06 AM »

I have a couple nice 'anti-drone' rifles.  Invade my airspace and I'll shoot you down.

Before you shoot I'd check to make sure it's not that $175K state police drone :o :o :o

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 05:47:11 PM »

Before you shoot I'd check to make sure it's not that $175K state police drone :o :o :o

I'm non-discriminatory.  Another politically motivated expensiture.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 01:51:05 PM »

A new organization to deal with some 'regulation'...

I hope some people aren't as opposed to drone regulation as they are internet regulation ;) ;) ;)

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/?sf7794355=1

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 02:11:14 PM »

I was down on Monroe Street in Sylvania yesterday...

I actually stopped and took a couple of pictures of this crane while I was there...

it has one 'ugly' flag flying from the boom ;) ;) ;)

Then while trying to figure out what they were building I stumbled on this website...   I posted the pictures of the freighter already in the 'appropriate' thread!!!

You may have to slide the picture to see the crane.  If you can't see it the flag is from some college down in Columbus ;D ;D ;D

The new building is a new ProMedica facility...

maybe they'll use the same plans to build a new facility in Monroe down the road 8) 8) 8)

More at:  https://www.facebook.com/highermediaproductions?fref=photo

The pictures of the yellow Piper Cub were shot at the little airport down in Lambertville!

Here is the link to their website:

http://www.highermediaproductions.com/

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 12:24:05 PM »

Someone posted something a few days ago regarding using miniature drones inside the body...  Sorry,  I searched and can't find it so I'll 'reply' here!  Looks like we're pretty close to that idea already:

http://www.wxyz.com/news/researchers-develop-tiny-soft-gripper-robots

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 10:41:48 AM »

The MSP are the first state police unit in the nation to get FAA approval to fly their drone...

wonder what would have happened if they'd been denied...

oh, well, the taxpayers didn't buy the drone...   Homeland Security did ;D ;D ;D

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/03/09/drone-michigan-state-police-faa/24659777/

Here's a site that you can register your property as a 'no fly zone' for drones and 'theoretically' that will block most drones from flying into your airspace!

I'm sure it won't do a thing to keep the MSP drone out though ;) ;) ;)

It looks like it's a lot like the 'do not call list'...    looks good in theory but in practice the only people that observe the rules are the good guys anyway :-\ :-\ :-\

https://www.noflyzone.org/

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 11:03:57 AM »

I'm shocked racist Holder has allowed the cops to have a drone.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 11:48:20 AM »

Here's the Detroit News article on the approval of the drones for the MSP...

the video mentions possibly allowing the film industry to use them:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/michigan/2015/03/09/michigan-state-police-gets-ok-use-drone/24654161/

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 10:03:31 PM »

Drone carrying 3 kilos of meth crashes near US-Mexico border
January 22, 2015

Tijuana shoppers experience a close encounter of an illegal kind after a drug-smuggling drone crash-lands in a store parking lot.
http://www.cnet.com/news/drone-carrying-three-kilos-of-meth-crashes-near-us-mexico-border/
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »

Now Corporate Drones are Spying on Cell Phones

The marketing firm Adnear is using drones to track cell phone users:

The capture does not involve conversations or personally identifiable information, according to director of marketing and research Smriti Kataria. It uses signal strength, cell tower triangulation, and other indicators to determine where the device is, and that information is then used to map the user's travel patterns.

"Let's say someone is walking near a coffee shop," Kataria said by way of example.

The coffee shop may want to offer in-app ads or discount coupons to people who often walk by but don't enter, as well as to frequent patrons when they are elsewhere. Adnear's client would be the coffee shop or other retailers who want to entice passersby.

[...]

The system identifies a given user through the device ID, and the location info is used to flesh out the user's physical traffic pattern in his profile. Although anonymous, the user is "identified" as a code. The company says that no name, phone number, router ID, or other personally identifiable information is captured, and there is no photography or video.
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/03/now_corporate_d.html

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 10:06:24 PM »

Game of Drones: As US Dithers, Rivals Get a Head Start

Drones, or unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), are a hot ticket in Silicon Valley, but U.S. government dithering over regulations has given overseas companies a head-start in figuring out how best to exploit them.
Global spending on drones could add up to close to $100 billion over the next decade, with commercial uses - from farming and filming to pipelines and parcels - accounting for around an eighth of that market, according to BI Intelligence.

But for years, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the authority largely responsible for regulation in the United States, has dragged its feet, only last month issuing draft rules on who can fly drones, how and where. It's likely to be a year or more before the regulations are in place - good news for companies operating outside the U.S. and looking to build a business around drones.

Sky-Futures, a British company that dominates the use of drones to collect and analyse inspection data for oil and gas companies, says its business soared 700 percent last year as the normally conservative energy industry embraced the new technology. Co-founder and operations director Chris Blackford said the company is coupling drones with software and a better understanding of what works in the field, giving Sky-Futures "a head-start over the U.S because we understand pretty intimately the problems facing the oil and gas market, and how we can solve them with technology."

Looser regulations outside the U.S. have created pockets of innovation attracting ideas, money and momentum, says Patrick Thevoz, co-founder and CEO of Swiss-based Flyability, which builds drones inside a spherical cage that allows them to bump through doors, tunnels and forests without losing balance.

Another British company, BioCarbon Engineering, hopes to speed up reforestation by using drones to plant germinated seeds, and shares in New Zealand-based Martin Aircraft trebled in the first few days after listing in Australia last month, on investor hopes for the personalised aircraft maker which is developing a UAV that could be used by the military, oil and gas, mining and farming industries.

In Japan, the government is looking to fast track industry-friendly regulation to give its drone business an edge.

More here:
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/cameras/news/game-of-drones-as-us-dithers-rivals-get-a-head-start-668490

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »

Secret Service to carry out drone tests over Washington

The US Secret Service is to carry out secret drone flights over Washington over the next few weeks. This is part of a covert government program to find ways to counter rogue drones that could threaten sensitive buildings in the city.

Washington is a strict no-fly zone, but an exception is going to be made for the Secret Service. A series of drone flights will take between 1 am and 4 am as the intelligence body looks at ways to stop potential civilian drones that could pose a threat to national security. Techniques including signal jamming will be used, according to AP, who learned about the proposed tests from a US official.

Intelligence agencies fear that drones could be potentially used by terrorists as the unmanned aircraft are powerful enough to carry small amounts of explosives or a grenade. Recent rogue drone sightings in Paris have proven how difficult it can be for law enforcement or security agencies to keep track of them.

French aviation and air safety expert Christophe Naudin at the time of the Paris incidents said it was very difficult to keep tabs on an unmanned aircraft flying in a built up area.

“It’s almost impossible to keep track of a drone in a city,” said Naudin, speaking to The Local. “If you were in the countryside it would be easier, but not in Paris. You can’t follow it from one building to another, even in a very cast car.”

This is why the US security services are looking at jamming techniques as a possible way to stop potential drone attacks. The majority of drones are operated via common radio frequencies that are similar to Wi-Fi or Bluetooth signals. The Secret Service believes that signals from a drone, such as a video transmission, would allow them to detect and track the unmanned aircraft and then deal with it as they see fit.

The downside would be residents in the vicinity would have their Wi-Fi and mobile phone signals jammed for as long as the jamming device was switched on.

More here:
http://rt.com/usa/239349-drones-washington-secret-service/

===

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/secret-service-protect-white-house-from-drones/

===

SkyJack: The drone that hijacks other drones in mid-air
http://www.gizmag.com/skyjack-hijacks-other-drones/30055/

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up