MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Mall of Monroe... will it survive?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Mall of Monroe... will it survive?  (Read 24172 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Mall of Monroe... will it survive?
« on: February 21, 2015, 11:46:21 AM »

We were out there 'walking' Wednesday evening...

My wife's foot has been bothering her (working on concrete floors all day) so she really didn't want to walk as fast as I was trying to go...   so I asked her to make a list of the 'still open' stores out there!

She wrote down 38 business names...

a couple of them are just the little booths...   we counted the ones that were staffed and skipped over the ones that were just coin operated!

We did count both Carson's regular store and their 'Home Store' as individual businesses although I'm thinking if one goes then the other would probably go!

We've heard that the Hallmark Card store will be opening again...   and it looks like it's ready to go...   all it needs is inventory!  All the fixtures look like they're right where they were all along!

One issue that makes me wonder is that when Pat Catan's announced they were going to move to the mall they also announced they'd be closing their store on S. Dixie in Monroe Township...   but that didn't happen!  They've downsized it for use as a 'clearance' store but they haven't closed it as originally planned...

could that be a clue that maybe they don't see a long future at the mall ??? ??? ???

The wifi if finally off at the Target store...  they've got the drywall 'door' sanded down to where it's ready for some primer or sealer and then some paint! 

Anyone want to venture a guess or a prediction as to what will happen...

and when ??? ??? ???
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
Re: Mall of Monroe... will it survive?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 12:11:39 PM »

Lately every-time I go there, I picture the mall chase scene in movie, The Blues Brothers.
Who know's, the way movies are being remade and remade again.
But then again, if and when it does go completely out, I've mentioned before, a mini Gibraltar Trade Center with Flea Market.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

ell

• Hero Talker
  • Nothing beats a good paddle
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »

Gee, if the mall closes, where will people go to walk?  Maybe they will be able to walk online where they do all their shopping.  It seems many people are gleeful in hoping for it's failure and that of the downtown area.  They can then marvel at their clairvoyance.

Malls a dying off everywhere, so it doesn't take a crystal ball to see the future of the mall here.  The malls and the big box stores killed off many downtowns and now the internet will probably do the same to the malls.

Just my two cents worth.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thouroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 01:46:26 PM »

LOL, Mayo.....great scene, and made me think about watching the 40 year SNL anniversary show last night.

ell......I agree, but not gleeful at all about the struggles of the downtown and the mall.  I do believe though that it was more the expansion of the big box stores into combined grocery and general merchandise market.  The internet sales....not so much, there are still plenty of shoppers out there but go for the convenience factor.  If that amount of shoppers were to converge onto the downtown and mall areas then folks would be complaining about no parking and too congested.

The common small town American malls are dying all across the country.  The company stores starved them out.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 03:25:23 PM »

I think they need to get some alternative use going--get someone in there that will generate some foot traffic even if it isn't retail.   There was recently an article about a mall in Nashville that was dead that they converted about 1/2 to medical offices and the other half kept retail which is now going strong.

In general I find shopping in Monroe harder and harder to do.   I almost never find everything I'm looking for.   I get so sick of hearing "we can order it for you".   Yeah, I can order it for me too and have it at my door in a day or two.   Finding myself ordering more and more online even if I know I can drive across town to get half of it.  Maybe that would be true in a bigger city too though as stores shrink inventory?

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »

I think they need to get some alternative use going--get someone in there that will generate some foot traffic even if it isn't retail.   There was recently an article about a mall in Nashville that was dead that they converted about 1/2 to medical offices and the other half kept retail which is now going strong.

Thats a good idea and something thats occuring in Adrian at the Adrian mall right now.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 04:26:41 PM »

Gee, if the mall closes, where will people go to walk?  Maybe they will be able to walk online where they do all their shopping.  It seems many people are gleeful in hoping for it's failure and that of the downtown area.  They can then marvel at their clairvoyance.

Malls a dying off everywhere, so it doesn't take a crystal ball to see the future of the mall here.  The malls and the big box stores killed off many downtowns and now the internet will probably do the same to the malls.

Just my two cents worth.

That's a major question... 

when it gets ultra cold like we've had I can't walk outside anymore...

when I was younger I didn't need to and now I really don't want to...

maybe I could but not sure!!!

Lately every-time I go there, I picture the mall chase scene in movie, The Blues Brothers.
Who know's, the way movies are being remade and remade again.
But then again, if and when it does go completely out, I've mentioned before, a mini Gibraltar Trade Center with Flea Market.

Excellent idea...   

use it for a movie shoot!!!  Except I think I read yesterday that the state is having to quit giving any tax credits to the movie industry due to the impending budget deficit fiasco!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIdGxR-aU6o
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 04:29:47 PM »

Thats a good idea and something thats occuring in Adrian at the Adrian mall right now.

Doesn't seem like anything they've tried in the Toledo market has helped...

a mall closing there is a regular occurrence lately!

I just realized when we did out store count we left out Planet Fitness...   They're strictly an outside entrance from the mall.  Their place and the theater might both survive just fine even if the rest of the mall were to close up!!!

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 05:33:33 PM »

Doesn't seem like anything they've tried in the Toledo market has helped...

a mall closing there is a regular occurrence lately!

I just realized when we did out store count we left out Planet Fitness...   They're strictly an outside entrance from the mall.  Their place and the theater might both survive just fine even if the rest of the mall were to close up!!!
I don't know about that. I've been to the Franklin Park Mall in Toledo at least once a month and that Mall seems to be doing well. Good crowd every time I go.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »

I'm thinking we could put in a 100 yard indoor rifle range in there somewhere.
Maybe a gun shop along with it...

Anybody interested in pitching in?  Funding it by myself would be a stretch.  But I could do the majority shareholder...

I think it would be awesome.   ;D
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 07:00:21 AM »

I predict it will go under. They lost JC Penny and Sears and now Target. The only thing  left is exercise walkers and the movie theater.  And movies will be a thing of the past soon as Redbox,Neflix and other streaming takes over. Evidence Is the recent movie The Interview.

Thats how it went down in hard print. You used to buy a book or newspaper but now you download it.

Northtown Mall was great when it opened but aint been around for years.  Franklin Park still has good stuff i go out of my way for.  Nice food court too.

Other than the movie or walking is there anything at the mall youd go out of your way for that you cant get at a big box store?  Didnt think so. And like i said the movie is gonna be a thing of the past in the digital age.
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »

I'm thinking we could put in a 100 yard indoor rifle range in there somewhere.
Maybe a gun shop along with it...

Anybody interested in pitching in?  Funding it by myself would be a stretch.  But I could do the majority shareholder...

I think it would be awesome.   ;D

If you could get the whole mall you could shoot from the food court all the way down the main walkway and into the former Target store...   according to Google maps that's almost 1100 feet!!!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Monroe,+MI/@41.9466884,-83.3875902,520m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x883b6fa6b2cc2bcd:0x1aff3b8ff9f0d231

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 09:45:21 AM »

For those planning to visit a mall...please be vigilant:

Terror group Al-Shabaab has released a video calling for attacks on shopping malls in Canada, the UK and the United States.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/21/us/al-shabaab-calls-for-mall-attacks/
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 09:47:24 AM »

For those planning to visit a mall...please be vigilant:

Terror group Al-Shabaab has released a video calling for attacks on shopping malls in Canada, the UK and the United States.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/21/us/al-shabaab-calls-for-mall-attacks/

I'm guessing the Mall of Monroe is probably pretty low on their 'hit list'...

they want to go somewhere there are people!!!

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »

The movie production companies have a pretty firm grip on the distribution of their product.   I don't see them going to a model like The Interview and giving up 1/2+ of their ticket sales selling rentals for $5 a pop.   The VCR could have just as easily done them in as streaming media.

I recall reading when Target announced their closing that they owned their actual building.   Surprised Cafaro didn't jump on buying it given their excitement over the mall's future.  8*   If that space gets re-occupied with retail I see it getting split into a few units because who else is there that takes that big of a box?   Even then, there's plenty of open space north of Lowes and Walmart for new development and its much more visible so filling space in a mall with an uncertain future is going to be tough.   Plus the La-Z-Boy site is on the market now and will likely be vacant before summer since rumor has it they are starting to move in the next couple weeks.

If Ann Arbor can support a nice gun shop that's building a range, surely Monroe can.   Offer rentals for those of us who aren't gun owners but would like to occasionally shoot and I'll come.   
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up