MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Mall of Monroe... will it survive?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Mall of Monroe... will it survive?  (Read 24327 times)

Debimark

• Super Talker
Re: Mall of Monroe... will it survive?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »

Considering that (the former) Mercy-Memorial Hospital owns (or at least used to own) the property behind the Stewart Road Rehabilitation Center, I always thought all that property could be used for a Mature Living Campus. Further, if Mall of Monroe ever ceases operation, why not try to convert the stores into multiple apartments. There is, with some modification, an indoor walking path, plenty of parking, and what would almost surely be a drive connecting the aforementioned Stewart Road building. If the rest of the property gets developed you would have a quasi-Villages (FLA Development) with all living and services in one location.

Such a transformation has never been tried before, but the mall was only built in 1988 (or near), and is most likely structurally sound. I would think you could have in-house vendors, suppliers and other care providers. I am not sure if Mable Kehres, Frenchtown and River Park are exclusively Senior Housing what with the proliferation of public housing in these residences.

I don't see a retail future for the Mall, really. As mentioned, the availability of the LZB property, and the continual consolidation of brick-and-mortar retailers will change the landscape of necessary and available shopping. The Owners could keep one or two of the bigger buildings for rental income. Planet Fitness is a good fit with the Senior Housing concept.

Just a thought.

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 10:18:13 AM »

I actually think that malls aren't destined to become obsolete.  Maybe ours in Monroe is, but not malls in general.
There is a huge shift going on that has manufacturers opening their own stores in malls.  Think Nike for example.  People still like to shop at a physical location; this probably won't ever change.  However, "brick and mortar" brand stores are equally as happy if you buy there, or just try on something and buy online at home.  Either way, they get the sale.  The physical storefront becomes more of an advertisement than a sales generating location.

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 10:20:52 AM »

If Ann Arbor can support a nice gun shop that's building a range, surely Monroe can.   Offer rentals for those of us who aren't gun owners but would like to occasionally shoot and I'll come.   

Not to get off topic, but I totally agree.  I don't know much about gun shops or ranges, but I went to one on a whim with a group of friends.  We rented a few guns and ammo and had a blast... pun.

I often travel Airport Hwy in Toledo.  There is this gun shop that I believe has a range located close to Toledo Express Airport.  The place is ALWAYS PACKED!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 12:05:32 PM »

That would be Clelands on Airport highway.  New facility.  The other one had a major fire a few years ago.  There aren't many places for the general public to shoot in Toledo.

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 12:25:32 PM »

There is a huge shift going on that has manufacturers opening their own stores in malls.  Think Nike for example.  People still like to shop at a physical location; this probably won't ever change.  However, "brick and mortar" brand stores are equally as happy if you buy there, or just try on something and buy online at home.  Either way, they get the sale.  The physical storefront becomes more of an advertisement than a sales generating location.

We had that.   Remember the bombed out wasteland on LaPlaisance?   There was even a Nike store for a while.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 01:05:34 PM »

Considering that (the former) Mercy-Memorial Hospital owns (or at least used to own) the property behind the Stewart Road Rehabilitation Center, I always thought all that property could be used for a Mature Living Campus. Further, if Mall of Monroe ever ceases operation, why not try to convert the stores into multiple apartments. There is, with some modification, an indoor walking path, plenty of parking, and what would almost surely be a drive connecting the aforementioned Stewart Road building. If the rest of the property gets developed you would have a quasi-Villages (FLA Development) with all living and services in one location.

Such a transformation has never been tried before, but the mall was only built in 1988 (or near), and is most likely structurally sound. I would think you could have in-house vendors, suppliers and other care providers. I am not sure if Mable Kehres, Frenchtown and River Park are exclusively Senior Housing what with the proliferation of public housing in these residences.

I don't see a retail future for the Mall, really. As mentioned, the availability of the LZB property, and the continual consolidation of brick-and-mortar retailers will change the landscape of necessary and available shopping. The Owners could keep one or two of the bigger buildings for rental income. Planet Fitness is a good fit with the Senior Housing concept.

Just a thought.

That's one hell of a good idea IMO.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

Flanders

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 01:07:47 PM »

We had that.   Remember the bombed out wasteland on LaPlaisance?   There was even a Nike store for a while.

Perhaps you are correct, although I wasn't specifically referencing "outlet" stores. I hope you are wrong though.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 07:53:36 AM »

Just a thought.

Well thought out Dm!!! 

For the record...   I hope the mall is able to continue on as a mainly retail mall for a long time.  I think management will have to take a long hard look at some of the realities of 'Monroe' right now and make some positive changes both short term and long term. 

Related...   I saw a tweet yesterday that Target online has now dropped their threshold for 'free shipping' to $25. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 08:37:07 AM »

Just a thought.
Those plans for the senior development behind the nursing center and doctors offices were put in place years ago - but the demographics and economy likely never brought the plan in to play for the old hospital system...

Curious what Promedica and their resources will look to use that for. 

They got their traffic light just in case.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:13:06 AM »

I don't know about that. I've been to the Franklin Park Mall in Toledo at least once a month and that Mall seems to be doing well. Good crowd every time I go.

Yes, Franklin Park does seem to be the 'exception' in the Toledo area market!

When we moved here NorthTowne was fairly new and thriving...

SouthWycke was doing pretty good although it was a long drive for us.

We would go to Woodville mall to a lesser degree but still it was a 'sometimes' destination...

All are gone 'belly up' now!  I remember when FP poured a bundle into their updating and expansion...  was that what it took at the time?

By contrast, Mall of Monroe appears to be just one step ahead of the remnants of the outlet malls on Laplaisance... 

Give them credit, they did do 'some' updating a couple of years ago but I have't seen any big surge of new stores opening since then...  in fact it seems we're seeing the opposite impact right now!

Just a thought.

I did a quick Google search...

plenty of sites out there that document the fall of local malls and with suggestions for their re-use.

Your general idea does come up on some of the sites although I did't dig far enough to see if it's actually been successfully implemented anywhere...  especially anywhere with a location similar to Monroe!

In no particular order here are a few of the sites that caught my eye:

http://www.citylab.com/work/2013/01/7-alternatives-failing-shopping-malls/4335/

http://www.naiop.org/en/Magazine/2011/Summer-2011/Development-Ownership/Reviving-the-Dead-Old-Malls-Find-Life-with-New-Uses.aspx

http://www.useful-community-development.org/adaptive-reuse.html

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/When-Retail-Wont-Work-Alternative-Uses-for-Converting-Former-Ghost-Malls-Back-Into-Income-Producing-Property/142285

http://roomfordebate.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/101-uses-for-a-deserted-mall/?_r=0

http://www.zdnet.com/article/repurposing-old-malls-into-datacenters-a-workable-idea/

http://www.npr.org/2014/09/10/347132924/heres-whats-becoming-of-americas-dead-shopping-malls

http://gizmodo.com/7-dead-shopping-malls-that-found-surprising-second-live-1634073681
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »

You can all drive down to Northtowne Mall on Alexis rd. oh wait they tore that down along with every other mall inToledo except Franklin park.  And they finally got the picture and kicked the kids out on weekends.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »

You can all drive down to Northtowne Mall on Alexis rd. oh wait they tore that down along with every other mall inToledo except Franklin park.  And they finally got the picture and kicked the kids out on weekends.

I really liked NorthTowne...

maybe because I spent so much time there when I first moved down here to work.  It was on my way home and near a couple of my other regular 'hangouts'!

Debimark

• Super Talker
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 01:28:42 PM »

I miss Northtowne as well, not to mention BJ's Warehouse across the street, which was one of the first 'warehouses' I can think of (circa 1988-1992'ish?).

The demographics affected Northtowne, none the least of which was the opening of Frenchtown Square in 1988.

I foresee an industrial remodeling per se, as I can see the former Northtowne and Raceway Park as large Automotive Supplier locations in support of the Jeep Plant, and the "Automation Alleys" of I-75 and US-23. It may take 5-10 years to go, but I think it will happen.

I always thought the 'South County' Industrial areas would take off and expand, but that never happened. The uncertainty of the Whitman Center and general litigious history of the Lewis/Sterns area makes me think that area of South County will tend to stay as-is.

I don't see anything in Monroe proper, nor Dundee or North County. The Industrial Parks of Tecumseh and Britton may see some development, but I don't see very much here. Toledo is hungry for industry, and Northtowne/raceway may see a lot of marketing.

I miss Northtowne....bought my first Pioneer Stereo there from Elder-Beerman, and the Mrs. engagement rings. $2 matinee movies at 1:00 pm when working afternoons was always a fun date.

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »

Northland Mall will soon be history.

I could not imagine LOSING $250,000 a month.  But that's what they are doing.

Stripped of its last anchor stores and losing nearly $250,000 every month, the entire Northland Center mall is now in danger of shutting down.

The Southfield mall defaulted on a $31-million loan last year, and its court-appointed receiver is seeking permission to evict the few remaining tenants and board up the property. Northland opened in 1954 as one of the nation's first major suburban malls.

Oakland County Circuit Judge Wendy Potts is to consider the closure request at a hearing scheduled for Wednesday. If the judge grants permission — and no 11th-hour buyer steps forward — tenants could be sent 30-day notices and the mall could close by late April or early May.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/business/michigan/2015/02/23/judge-decide-northland-mall-can-close/23909029/
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 02:00:52 PM »

I remember going there shopping just a year or two after they opened!

My Mom had a sister that lived in Royal Oak.  We'd take the 'Bee Liner' train from Midland down to wherever her sister would pick us up.  We didn't take 696 to get there though...   way, way too soon for that ;D ;D ;D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up