MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > New cruise ship to ply the Great Lakes

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New cruise ship to ply the Great Lakes  (Read 2724 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
New cruise ship to ply the Great Lakes
« on: February 24, 2015, 09:17:41 AM »

I'm glad to see this!  I'll definitely consider taking a cruise on the Great Lakes!

I know you can 'cruise' on most of the Great Lakes freighters but you're pretty well limited to going from one industrial port to another.  I guess if all you want is quiet and solitude and 'great food' it's not bad. 

I wonder if there's any chance that The Port of Monroe will become a stop or even possibly a boarding point in the future ??? ??? ???

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015/02/23/cruise-ship-great-lakes/23886053/

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: New cruise ship to ply the Great Lakes
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »

When we leaving, I'm all about it...www.greatlakescrusing.com
Not one, but 4 ships............
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »

Here's their itinerary...

surprising number of cruises are on a wait list already!!!

http://www.greatlakescruising.com/itineraries.php

Maybe we can get together a 'MonroeTalks' cruise...

maybe they could make a special trip up the beautiful River Raisin...

well, I guess they'd have to turn around at the wastewater treatment plant...   or moor there and we could all take a tour of the Battleground!!!

Maybe they'll christen one of the ships 'The MonroeMist'...   just for our cruise 8) 8) 8)
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:56:42 PM »

Here's one more line that does Chicago to Toronto...  sort of...  doesn't look like they come around this way but rather must take a bus or train across Ontario!!!

They only cruise in August...   we've been to Mackinac Island several times in August and you better take a sweater along...   just in case:

http://www.pearlseascruises.com/cruises/great-lakes-cruise/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:47:30 AM »

Here's their itinerary...

surprising number of cruises are on a wait list already!!!

http://www.greatlakescruising.com/itineraries.php

Maybe we can get together a 'MonroeTalks' cruise...

maybe they could make a special trip up the beautiful River Raisin...

well, I guess they'd have to turn around at the wastewater treatment plant...   or moor there and we could all take a tour of the Battleground!!!

Maybe they'll christen one of the ships 'The MonroeMist'...   just for our cruise 8) 8) 8)

Up the river would have to be something smaller...like a canoe.....  The Monroe Mist....I like that....

CL is all hyped up about the Great Lakes Cruise grom Chigago and back to Chicago,  Myself, I have no desire to go to Canada, boat or otherwise.

We'll probably book one next year nstead of me doing a hunting reip...  about the same cost actually.  I like the smaller boats better actually.  All the small boats have statetooms with private balconies.  I think it would be a hoot, so does CL.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:52:26 AM »

FYI, you can book passage on any Great Lakes Freighter but like you state it's an 'industrial voyage'.  Duluth, Iron Mountain, Toldeo, Clevaland and Ashtabula, maybe Sandusky for a load of coal.....

The frieghters have very well appointed guest statetooms btw.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 10:06:38 AM »

FYI, you can book passage on any Great Lakes Freighter but like you state it's an 'industrial voyage'.  Duluth, Iron Mountain, Toldeo, Clevaland and Ashtabula, maybe Sandusky for a load of coal.....

The frieghters have very well appointed guest statetooms btw.

I'd enjoy the freighter cruise...   I'd know what everyone on board and what every piece of equipment did (I already have a pretty good idea) within 3 days of getting aboard!

My wife...  probably not so much...   but she'd enjoy the 'just being away' part ;) ;) ;)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »

I didn't realize it but the general public can't just purchase a ticket on any given freighter as the ships aren't certified 'for hire by passengers'...

However, they do allow 'guests' of the company to cruise and many of the companies apparently donate passage certificates to different fund raisers.  There are actually quite a few each year it looks like. 

http://www.boatnerd.com/trips/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 03:53:46 PM »

I knew you 'just can't buy passage'.  I worked of the Fitz years ago and most of the Mather boats.  All the guest staterooms were magnificent.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 07:07:32 AM »

From the Detroit News website this morning...

from back in the days when there were lots of cruise ships on the great lakes...

http://www.detroitnews.com/picture-gallery/news/local/michigan-history/2015/02/27/the-doomed-steamer-ss-tashmoo/24142311/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »

That looks like one of the Boblo boats that sat at the pier by Nicholson Terminal east of Great Lakes Steel.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 11:14:13 PM »

Looked at the site - it appears the shortest booking is the Chicago to Mackinaw Island and back...   2k a person
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 06:19:26 PM »

I didn't realize it but the general public can't just purchase a ticket on any given freighter as the ships aren't certified 'for hire by passengers'...

However, they do allow 'guests' of the company to cruise and many of the companies apparently donate passage certificates to different fund raisers.  There are actually quite a few each year it looks like. 

http://www.boatnerd.com/trips/

I knew you 'just can't buy passage'.  I worked of the Fitz years ago and most of the Mather boats.  All the guest staterooms were magnificent.

Here's a chance to buy into a lottery to win a cruise:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/2018/01/27/heres-how-win-free-trip-great-lakes-freighter/1071922001/

Pages: [1]   Go Up