MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > Anti-vaccination movement

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anti-vaccination movement  (Read 8703 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Anti-vaccination movement
« on: March 15, 2015, 10:13:38 PM »

GOP Chair of House Science and Tech Subcommittee: I Didn't Vaccinate My Kids

Rep. Barry Loudermilk, a Georgia Republican who recently became the chair of a key congressional subcommittee on science and technology, didn't vaccinate most of his children, he told a crowd at his first town hall meeting last week.

Loudermilk was responding to a woman who asked whether he'd be looking into (discredited) allegations that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) had covered up information linking vaccines to autism. He responded with a rather unscientific personal anecdote: "I believe it's the parents' decision whether to immunize or not…Most of our children, we didn't immunize. They're healthy."

Loudermilk's comment sparked sharp criticism, including from Rick Wilson, a prominent Republican strategist who called for the congressman's resignation.

Having "healthy," unvaccinated kids does not mean that they aren't at risk, or that they won't put others at risk later if they become infected. So far this year, there have been 154 cases of measles and three outbreaks; one outbreak sickened 86 people and landed 30 babies in home isolation. The disease spreads rapidly, afflicting not only those who lack immunization due to parental choice, but also those who haven't been vaccinated because they are immunocompromised. Prior to the advent of the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine, measles was responsible for up to 500 deaths in the United States every year. Due to low vaccination rates, 2014 saw the most confirmed cases of measles since 2000, when the CDC had declared the illness all but eliminated in the United States.

If Loudermilk is unconcerned about the potential health effects of once-common diseases, he may want to note the economic repercussions. The 107 confirmed cases of measles during the 2011 outbreak cost taxpayers $5.3 million to contain. Rigorous scientific research—including the 2004 CDC study cited by Loudermilk's constituent—has shown that theories about a supposed connection between vaccines and autism are unfounded.

The CDC study in question looked at children with and without autism to find out if there was any difference in their rates of MMR vaccination. The researchers found none. The so-called "cover-up" originated from a secretly recorded and cherry-picked conversation between William Thompson, a senior scientist at the CDC, and Brian Hooker of Focus for Health, an organization that seeks "to put an end to the needless harm of children by vaccination and other environmental factors." In the conversation, Thompson allowed that among African American boys, in a small subset of children studied, the incidence of autism was higher for those who were vaccinated than those who were not. That statement landed in a wildly misleading video released on YouTube produced by Hooker and Andrew Wakefield, a British researcher whose medical license was revoked in 2010. A year later, a journal that published Wakefield's paper linking autism and vaccines determined his findings were fraudulent.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/02/barry-loudermilk-didnt-immunize-kids
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:17:23 AM by Frenchfry »
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: Anti-vaccination movement (AKA Morons)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:14:23 PM »

The anti-vaccination movement (also known as anti-vaxxers) is an irrational trend of mistrust of vaccination that is almost as old as the technique itself. The movement blames vaccines or their ingredients for a range of maladies whose mechanisms are rejected or have not been explained by current scientific research. Some of these maladies can often be childhood illnesses in order to increase the emotive factor of the argument. The ubiquity of vaccination often makes it an easy target for blame.
Vaccine-preventable diseases have been a major cause of illness, death, and disability throughout human history. The advent of the modern vaccine era has changed this significantly; most North Americans and Europeans have little memory of a pre-vaccine era where diseases such as mumps and measles — to say nothing of smallpox or polio — were common and often deadly. In more recent times, there has been much debate in the press and in the doctor's office regarding vaccine safety — namely what possible side-effect vaccines cause and whether these outweigh the risks of leaving a population without a vaccination schedule. Vaccines have been alleged to cause all manner of illnesses; autism is a prominent example, as its direct causes are still fairly mysterious and probably very wide-ranging, with no single cause or lifestyle risk-factor being identified. Some prominent Americans have spoken out vociferously about the supposed danger of vaccines.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Anti-vaccination_movement

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:15:25 AM »

The Herd Mentality Of The Anti-Vaxxer Movement

It's not just the myth about autism that's driving down vaccination rates. Many parents believe that as long as most other children are vaccinated, their kids won't get sick. It's a faulty interpretation of "herd immunity" — and it's prompting families to prioritize exaggerated, imagined risks over actual benefits.

More here:

http://io9.com/the-herd-mentality-of-the-anti-vaxxer-movement-1626928779

Livewire is an an anti-vaxxer.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 02:18:01 AM »

Anti-Vaxxer Biologist Stefan Lanka Bets Over $100K Measles Isn't A Virus; Court Orders Him To Pay Up

German biologist Stefan Lanka breaks the mold when it comes to the anti-vaccination movement. Unlike most anti-vaxxers, Lanka actually has a degree (we think). Like all anti-vaxxers, in my opinion, Lanka is also wrong. So wrong, in fact, that a German court ordered him to pay German doctor David Barden 100,000 euros ($106,000) after Lanka announced via his website that he would pay anyone who could prove measles is an actual virus. Needless to say, Barden was able to provide adequate evidence.

A recent measles outbreak in Germany has resulted in vaccination debate similar to the current one in the United States. The debate has raged on ever since an 18-month-old boy from Berlin became the first casualty of the outbreak. While speaking with a German newspaper, Lanka referred to measles as “a psychosomatic illness” that causes people to become ill after traumatic separations.” Over 750 cases have been reported across Germany since October.

Lanka boldly offered up 100,000 euros to anyone who could prove measles is a virus on his website four years ago. Barden decided to take Lanka up on his offer and began gathering a wealth of research supporting measles as a virus (there is plenty). In true anti-vaxxer fashion, Lanka disregarded each and every peer-reviewed study Barden presented and refused to pay up. That’s when a court in Ravensburg stepped in to remind Lanka that a bet’s a bet.

According to the World Health Organization, measles remains one of the leading causes of death among young children even though a safe and inexpensive vaccine is available. Around 145,700 people died around the world in 2013 as the result of measles. Recently, the WHO Regional Office for Europe asked health care professionals, policy-makers, and parents to increase the number of children from all age groups who receive vaccination against measles.

“When we consider that over the past two decades we have seen a reduction of 96 percent in the number of measles cases in the European Region, and that we are just a step away from eliminating the disease, we are taken aback by these numbers. We must collectively respond, without further delay, to close immunization gaps,” Dr. Zsuzsanna Jakab, WHO Regional Director for Europe, said in a statement. “It is unacceptable that, after the last 50 years’ efforts to make safe and effective vaccines available, measles continues to cost lives, money, and time.”
http://www.medicaldaily.com/anti-vaxxer-biologist-stefan-lanka-bets-over-100k-measles-isnt-virus-court-orders-him-325636

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 02:21:10 AM »

Leaving the Anti-Vaccine Movement

I can’t tell you how I became pro-vaccine without first telling you how I became anti-vaccine.

When my oldest daughter was about four months old, I discovered “crunchy” parenting. I entered a world full of cloth diapers, “intactivism,” and home birth. I made a lot of new friends who shared my beliefs about peaceful attachment parenting, and I started to notice a trend – many of these same friends also didn’t vaccinate. I discussed it one day with a real-life friend, who told me I should look up vaccine ingredients, read the package inserts, and check out the adverse events reported on VAERS.

So I did a Google search for “vaccine ingredients” and was shocked by what I found. Could there really be all of these nasty-sounding ingredients in vaccines, I wondered? I went to the CDC’s website and found package inserts. I didn’t understand much of what I read, but it did sound pretty scary. I looked up the prevalence of diseases today and realized that nobody had even caught diphtheria for years! I was confused, and my daughter’s six-month check up was coming up. I opted out of vaccines then, telling the doctor I wanted to do some more research before we went any further.

However, my research was very skewed. I was going into it with preconceived ideas – my anti-vaccine friends had put ideas into my head, such as  not trusting government websites. I was forced to rely on whatever I could find while Googling, which were often websites like Mercola or whale.to. I even started “liking” anti-vaccine pages on Facebook – pages that I now understand masquerade as “information” centers. I got added to Facebook groups like “Great Mothers Questioning Vaccines.”

Even though all of my supposed research was coming from non-scientific sources, I trusted it.

Then I got pregnant with our second child and planned a home birth. My midwives were very supportive of my anti-vaccination stance. My second daughter was born at home, and for months I prided myself on the fact that she had never been “injected with anything.” I even bragged about how we didn’t take her to the doctor until she was six months old.

My friends, too, were supportive. They reassured me that my breast milk was protecting her from disease, and how she was a shining example of a healthy unvaccinated child. I was proud to have a sense of community with other mothers who shared my views and who cheered me on.

However, I’ve always considered myself a skeptic, and I began to notice how some of my anti-vaccine friends believed in some other things that I found, well, questionable. For example, several of my anti-vaccine friends posted about chemtrails pretty frequently. I’d never heard of chemtrails, so I did some research and quickly discovered it was just a conspiracy theory easily explained away by people who actually understood how airplane contrails work. I also noticed that skeptic pages I followed occasionally made jabs about “anti-vaxxers” and homeopaths.

It was a slow process, but I gradually began to question my own anti-vaccine views. I stopped posting about vaccines for several months and began seeking out real science that would show me the truth, either way. What I found shocked me.

Anti-vaccine people had told me countless times that safety studies on vaccines were extremely lacking, but I was able to pull up hundreds of studies with just a few PubMed searches. They had told me that better hygiene and sanitation had been responsible for the massive decreases in disease, not vaccines—but I was able to find graphs and information from the CDC proving this wasn’t the case.

I was told vaccines overload the immune system. “Too many too soon” was burned into my brain, but then I learned things like this:

In the end, I couldn’t continue to deny the science. It’s hard to believe now how easily I bought into everything I was hearing from the anti-vaccine crowd. It seems extremely obvious now: doctors aren’t evil, scientists aren’t trying to kill your kids with toxins, and vaccine researchers aren’t just trying to scam you out of your money.

More here:
http://www.voicesforvaccines.org/leaving-the-anti-vaccine-movement/

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:23:25 AM »

Les Measlesrables

After a certain subset of the U.S. population refuses to vaccinate their kids, measles makes an unexpected resurgence.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/5t2dw1/les-measlesrables

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 02:39:35 AM »

Who will take action to tighten Michigan's too-lenient vaccination law?

Gov. Rick Snyder, senators, and representatives:

You've seen the data.

Michigan has the fourth-highest rate of childhood vaccine waivers in the nation, leaving many Michigan communities at risk for breakouts of serious diseases.

You've seen the results.

Grand Traverse County, which has one of the worst waiver rates in the state, had outbreaks of whooping cough and measles last fall.

You know what can happen.

Babies, children, the elderly and people with compromised immune systems can and do die from these diseases. In the last decade, 221 infants in the United States have died from whooping cough. More than 300 people die from measles worldwide every day. Others suffer lasting consequences like brain damage.

What more will it take for you to act? Will people in Michigan have to start dying before you finally get the courage to stand up to the vocal fringe on behalf of the silent majority?

More here:
http://www.mlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/03/who_is_willing_to_take_action.html#incart_river

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Anti-Vaxxers: They’re Raging Narcissists
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 02:47:27 AM »

What Psychologists Say About Anti-Vaxxers: They’re Raging Narcissists

“Who cares if a kid dies from measles, as long as I got to make my choice!”
With the measles outbreak bringing vaccination back into the spotlight, one question is rarely answered: Why do more people now choose not to vaccinate their children? In a word: Narcissism.

When the measles vaccine was introduced in 1963, American culture was very different. Children were not told they were special (at least not in a good way). The current mantras of “believe in yourself” and “just be yourself”—much less “I love me”—barely existed. College students were less likely to think they were superior to their peers than they are now. In short, individualism had yet to dominate American culture.

It does now, and individualism has crossed over into narcissism in many pockets of our culture. Narcissism is the perfect formula for choosing not to vaccinate your kids. No, not everyone who makes this choice is narcissistic, but the pervasive cultural narcissism in the U.S. makes these ideas possible and accepted even without individuals displaying the personality trait. Either way, it’s remarkable how many characteristics of narcissism map on to anti-vaccine ideas.

1. Narcissistic people believe they should be able to do what they want, no matter how it affects others. Parents sometimes state their belief that vaccines “are not the right choice for my child.” Because, apparently, their child is special, and should be able to opt out of something everyone else does. It’s the classic commons dilemma: We need everyone to do their part. If just a few people freeload, they can get the benefits without the risks. When too many people freeload, the system falls apart. That’s exactly what is happening right now with the measles outbreak.

2. Narcissistic people have less empathy. Those too young or medically vulnerable to be vaccinated are only protected if the vast majority of people get the vaccine, known as herd immunity. Because some parents exercise their “choice,” other people’s children can get sick or even die. But who cares, because I got to make a choice!

3. Narcissistic people have a hard time believing anyone knows better than they do. So unless they’ve done the vaccine testing themselves, why should they believe anyone who tells them vaccines are safe and effective? It doesn’t matter to them that study after study shows this and doctors and other authorities continuously say this.

Basically, the modern, narcissistic idea is not to trust anyone except yourself. In previous decades, Americans were more trusting, both of each other and of authorities such as doctors and the government. Recently, however, trust in others and in institutions have reached all-time lows. Apparently, Americans only trust themselves; everyone else is an idiot.

4. Narcissistic people are overconfident. In stock-market simulations, they take too many risks because they don’t expect to lose money. They’re special, so bad things won’t happen to them. Until they do—like children getting the measles because they weren’t vaccinated. This is also at the root of the argument that we should “let nature take its course,” that works until it’s you or your kid who gets sick and dies. But narcissism lets people believe it will never be them.

The science on vaccination is extremely clear: Vaccines save lives and are exceedingly safe. Characterizing the discussion around vaccines as a “debate” is misleading. It’s not a debate any more than evolution vs. creationism is a “debate.” There is no debate. Let’s move on to figuring out why people endanger their kids—and, more infuriatingly, ours—by not vaccinating their children.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/09/what-psychologists-say-about-anti-vaxxers-they-re-raging-narcissists.html

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 09:50:27 AM »

Livewire is an an anti-vaxxer.

That is correct.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 07:00:34 AM »

Little 6 month old Liam Archer Osterhout went in to the doctor on March 26th for his six month checkup - just four days ago.

He checked out just fine.  He got his vaccinations.

A couple hours later, he was dead.

But yeah - vaccines are great.

Here is a picture of him the day he died.

Go to his mother's facebook page for more info, and to donate for his funeral expenses.

https://www.facebook.com/breanna.davis.7?pnref=story

I wouldn't recommend trying to convince this poor woman that the herd theory is a viable premise to vaccinate your kids.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

AtypicalGirl

• Hero Talker
  • My handsome boy! :)
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 02:25:23 PM »

Calling people names isn't a good way to start a discussion..... Just sayin.

Greg Chamberlain

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 10:17:36 PM »

Calling people names isn't a good way to start a discussion..... Just sayin.

Frenchfry's purpose here is not to start a discussion. He is here to monopolize the forums with his beliefs and attack anyone who disagrees. He's a big reason why this place is on life support.

After all, the type of scientific ignorance and fear mongering he is (rightfully) accusing anti-vaxers of, is the same sort of ignorance and fear mongering he was peddling in the GMO thread.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 10:23:02 PM by Greg Chamberlain »
"To preserve the freedom of the human mind then and freedom of the press, every spirit should be ready to devote itself to martyrdom; for as long as we may think as we will, and speak as we think, the condition of man will proceed in improvement." - Thomas Jefferson

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 04:44:10 PM »

Frenchfry's purpose here is not to start a discussion. He is here to monopolize the forums with his beliefs and attack anyone who disagrees. He's a big reason why this place is on life support.

After all, the type of scientific ignorance and fear mongering he is (rightfully) accusing anti-vaxers of, is the same sort of ignorance and fear mongering he was peddling in the GMO thread.
LOL! You certainly have knack for being factually incorrect.

Replying to a bully in-kind is an act of reciprocation, not the initiator of an attack.

Yes the anti-vaxxers are morons...but that's not an attack...just an opinion supported by the facts.

As for why participation has waned...the conservatives formed a circlejerk club to bully and harass anyone that has views that differ from theirs.

And now that they've chased the opposition away...they've started eating their own.

Let's face it, they're mostly morons that don't know any better.

The real blame belongs to the owners of the site that allowed it to sink to the level where it's at today.

They just don't care...which is indicative of how they feel about the community that they serve...and for that I say they ought to be shot.

The community would be better served without this forum.

Those that remain are reinforcing the notion that the nickname Moron County is well deserved.

But without MT, your usual popping in to disparage would be disrupted.  ;)

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »

if you ask nice, maybe your buddy Candy-Dandy-Randy will give you an injection of personal serum....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 06:04:19 PM »

if you ask nice, maybe your buddy Candy-Dandy-Randy will give you an injection of personal serum....
Does your old lady know what you do when you're out and about?

All that gas and loose stools you've been experiencing may be because you've over-stretched your anal cavity.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up