MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Fishing

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 4072 times)

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
Fishing
« on: March 18, 2015, 10:57:30 AM »

I'm sure that there are some who still like to go fishing. I mostly go and catch and release.

From what I read on-line from the DNR, they still are, I may be spending my spare time in Flat Rock.

We used to live in a house close by but the city bought the property and so we had to move.
Best place to fish or dip-net growing up. Didn't need a license back then.

I've mentioned before that Monroe really needs more bank fishing access. Not everyone owns a boat. - contrary to popular belief that everyone in Michigan owns a boat. ;)

I mostly go after pan fish, maybe cat or bull head. I'm not into the lures. Lures seem to work good when out in the water (wading) or from a boat, not too good from the banks.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: Fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »

I have been an avid fisherman all my life.  Pan fish with life bait is still one of my favorites, but steel head fishing while standing in the river tops the list.

I can't recall who I spoke with, I believe it was the DNR about looking into putting fishing "spots" along the North side of the river off the walkway, and also at Waterloo Park which has plenty of shoreline but limited access spots to get in a good cast and watch the ole bobber float down the river.

Mayo, my guess is that Waterloo Park improvements would have to be addressed with the County and the north side of the river with the City.
Support local government, pass all tax increases!

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

My next vehicle will be an electric powered RV!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:31:08 PM »

I'm blessed in as much as I have a fairly deep 8 acre man made lake to fish in thats on private property and it's full of bass and bluegill, I mean loaded.  I only know of 2 other people who fish there besides myself and one is the owner.

I can pull a 5 gallon bucket as fast as I can cast the popper.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:46:49 PM »

That's really neat.

I know a few ponds like that that make just a fun afternoon, also one of the best places to teach a young child how to fish and enjoy the sport.

Go Green - Pot, Solar/Wind Energy, Electric Vehicles, and buy at Dick's Sporting Goods!

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:12:14 PM »

Waterloo Park is OK for some of the year. But when the the grass starts getting too high, it's a pain. Maybe I'll start using those weed-less hooks?

Soldiers & Sailors Park would make a good spot. The bank just needs to built up some. Something good, maybe a fishing pier? Not just the usual busted-up concrete.

I got bored this winter and started making bobber-stops. I have over a 1000 made ;)
I just don't have the beads.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 03:57:24 PM »

Lived on a lake up north in the summer months during my youth - and never could get the excitement towards fishing.   

Would do it once or twice a month - or as an excuse to take the boat out looking for girls   ;D

Heck most fishing boats now a days are also set up for water skiing with the huge motors...  and that was my preferred water sport back then.   Got up to barefoot a few times, and can still slalom ski to this day.   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 10:21:54 PM »

My parents used to own a cottage up in Irish Hills and we would go fishing just about every weekend in the summer. I have a 22" Large Mouth Bass mounted on the wall I caught 45 years ago. Now my son has a boat and goes fishing quite a bit for Walleye and Steel Head. He's been out on the Detroit river several times already in the last two weeks. He has a 27" Walleye mounted on his wall that he caught a while back.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:20:50 PM »

Those are some nice catches!

Where does he go to fish for steelhead at?

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:51:48 PM »

Those are some nice catches!

Where does he go to fish for steelhead at?

His friend's family has a cabin over on Pere Marquette Lake in Ludington, and they would go fishing in Lake Michigan. They came back with 10 real nice Steelhead but said they lost at least that many because their line kept breaking. I told him they were reeling them in too fast and when they got close to the boat they would fight and break the line. I told him they need to tire them out before bringing them in. They went out one night and at 9 PM and it was real foggy. He called us on his cell phone and said they couldn't see a thing except their cell phone screen. Two miles out and pitch dark all around them, lucky they had GPS on the cell phone or they never would have gotten back to the shore. Kids are crazy these days.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 10:32:53 PM »

Yea Tiny, we were all young and crazy at one time.....I still have setbacks.   ;D

I use the fishing report coming out of Ludington to know about when I need to go up to Honor and catch action on the Platte.  Frankfort is next, then a day or so later they are staged outside the Platte bay.

I have enjoyed several hobbies over my lifetime.....and fishing is bar none my second favorite.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 09:34:05 PM »

My eyes are getting bad.  When I first read the thread title, I thought it said...  Fisting..

I was thinking, not an appropriate topic for MT. ;D

I have a nice private lake to fish on when I want to, about 3 miles from here.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 08:27:57 PM »

My son and his friends have been cleaning up the Walleye on the Detroit River last week and this week. 3 times out and limited out 2 of them. They go out at Wyandotte.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »

Those are some nice looking fish.
I saw some guys spearing them in the ditch at Lewis and Erie in Temperance.  Probably not legal..

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 09:26:54 PM »

Those are some nice looking fish.
I saw some guys spearing them in the ditch at Lewis and Erie in Temperance.  Probably not legal..

We used to do that when we were kids. Northern Pike (illegal) is good but the Carp were all boney.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 11:23:13 PM »

I still have my spear hanging in my garage. We named all the ditches around us. Davis's ditch, Banas's ditch etc
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up