MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > What are you thinking about right now?

Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you thinking about right now?  (Read 143465 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: What are you thinking about right now?
« Reply #2640 on: October 13, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »

Can't beat a Brussel sprout after the frost.  Before that I think they are to bitter.  I've found that in late summer I pick all the old golf ball and larger sizes off the bottom and throw in composter.  It allows for more little ones to "sprout".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2641 on: October 13, 2018, 10:09:39 AM »

No frost last night, oh well.  The sprouts will have to wait.  I let them grow all winter, cover them with straw and pull them in the spring (stems).  Took the big black dog for his morning walk (and poop).
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2642 on: October 16, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »

I left New Orleans and come home to this chilly weather!   forgot to pack a jacket even, cause when I left it was still nice here. 

I have wild mums blooming - and the rest of my fall and late summer stuff looks good even after the frost..   

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2643 on: October 16, 2018, 08:16:21 PM »

Don't worry, it won't tomorrow.  I went and plucked all the green peppers I could.  We had a very heavy frost last night.  I'll give it about a week and I'll start picking brussels sprouts.  The vines are loaded.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2644 on: October 16, 2018, 11:01:26 PM »

I have a lot of peppers yet so I’ve been covering the garden. Still need to dehydrate the hot ones.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2645 on: October 18, 2018, 10:01:42 AM »

I cleaned them off.  We had another heavy frost last night.  I see the bird feeders are empty.  I'll have to replenish them today....

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2646 on: November 01, 2018, 06:33:59 PM »

I guess we are in the rainy season????
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2647 on: November 01, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »

Guess we are...  Better rain than snow...

I'll be glad when next Tuesday comes and goes, I'm real tired of all the political ads.  None of the politicians are really worth a shitte in the first place and they all boast about doing nothing....  What a farce.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2648 on: November 02, 2018, 12:42:13 AM »

I'm glad I got in one round this week - as the rain seems to be ending a second chance - 

Also very glad all our crops are out - as fields will be pretty muddy for a while. 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2649 on: November 02, 2018, 08:51:06 AM »

Politicians are looking for a lifetime of riches, nothing else.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2650 on: November 02, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »

I'm glad I got in one round this week - as the rain seems to be ending a second chance - 

Also very glad all our crops are out - as fields will be pretty muddy for a while.

Got hosed on my last hay cut.  No way it's coming out this year.  Far as crops go, not around here.  The corn is mostly off, not that it's worth taking off ($3,25 / bushel new crop) and the stuff that was taken off prior to the last deluge had dryer charges added on, a total loosing proposition.  Beans here are still pretty much standing.  Will be a while for them.  At least a week, maybe more.  8 buck beans aren't much either.

Will be interesting next year just how many farmers go down the toilet.  I suspect the heavily leveraged ones will.  Payments don't stop just because crop prices tanked.  I'll be shopping for a new slightly used FWA utility tractor with a cab of course.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2651 on: November 02, 2018, 11:20:27 AM »

Got hosed on my last hay cut.  No way it's coming out this year.  Far as crops go, not around here.  The corn is mostly off, not that it's worth taking off ($3,25 / bushel new crop) and the stuff that was taken off prior to the last deluge had dryer charges added on, a total loosing proposition.  Beans here are still pretty much standing.  Will be a while for them.  At least a week, maybe more.  8 buck beans aren't much either.

Will be interesting next year just how many farmers go down the toilet.  I suspect the heavily leveraged ones will.  Payments don't stop just because crop prices tanked.  I'll be shopping for a new slightly used FWA utility tractor with a cab of course.

Someone is always looking for more land...     

I've seen beans taken off frozen gound-   not generally a good thing but better than nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2652 on: November 02, 2018, 03:07:29 PM »

what do farmers do with bailed grass.  I've seen Tamaron golf course cut and bailed and there is a grassy field at corner of Douglas and Smith that seems to get bailed a couple of times a year

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2653 on: November 02, 2018, 06:04:08 PM »

Someone is always looking for more land...     

I've seen beans taken off frozen gound-   not generally a good thing but better than nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbUC-UaAxE

Don't matter if the inputs outweigh the per bushel price at the elevator, it's a negative profit deal and the payments, land rent and taxes don't hold up just because the P&L statement is negative.

I've cut and baled hay at Christmas before but if the ground is soggy (as it is now) that is moot.

For an example, I paid 10 bucks a bag for 46 Urea last year at Wilbur Ellis (I have a commercial account there).  This fall I paid $19.50 a bag for the same product.  That is an almost 100% increase.

The per bushel price of corn and beans are at pre 1990 levels.  It don't work and cannot work in today's market.  Don't care about land rent, don't enter into the equation.

Nice thing about what I do is there is no land rent at all.  The ground I run forage on is privately owned and I do a 50-50 split with the owners minus inputs which I spit 50-50 as necessary, as well as machine costs.  I have complete and total control about when I cut and how I market it.  I just pay them at years end.  Simple, cost effective and we both do just fine.  Of course it does help that I have one customer who takes all my hay, picks it up with his equipment and pays me annually and he's good as gold.

Just inked a deal to run even more and keep all my equipment in his barn all summer, rent free.  I can sequester all the equipment in one place all season, drive my car to the equipment and run hay on his ground.  No wear and tear roading everything.  It stays there for me to use, secure and inside.

Took a long time and trust for me to get to the point I'm at now.  All on a handshake.  Only way to do business far as I'm concerned.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2654 on: November 02, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »

what do farmers do with bailed grass.  I've seen Tamaron golf course cut and bailed and there is a grassy field at corner of Douglas and Smith that seems to get bailed a couple of times a year

Sell it for forage grass.  Cattle eat anything so long as it don't have thistle in it.  Only horses are particular and that is mostly because the owners are a'holes, not the animals.

You have to input to get output however.  I fertilize after every cut and selective spray for weeds.  Part of the game if you want to sell at good prices.  You can bale your lawn if you want to, just be prepared to invest about a hundred grand in hay equipment not including the prime movers.  Little more pricey than your lawnmower....lol
Pages: 1 ... 175 176 [177] 178   Go Up