MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Gardening thread... What have you planted this spring...?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Gardening thread... What have you planted this spring...?  (Read 8980 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Gardening thread... What have you planted this spring...?
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »

I dusted mine before I left but I'm worried now that the rain washed it off and the vines will be dried up when I get home Sunday

If I knew where you lived I'd dust them for you.  Mine are just fine.  I gave them another shot last night (after the rain).  Just prior to, picked about 8 nice cukes and 6 nice Zukes.  Took a friend across town some and he was amazed that one, I had them ready to pick and two, they were so nice.

If your whither up, CL and I will share.  We will have plenty
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2017, 09:18:53 PM »

The cucumbers just keep coming....  CL and I are elated.  Had cukes and onions in vinegar with dinner tonight.  After 8 dry years, I cannot get enough.  I have literally hundreds of blossoms on 2 plants.  After the rain I gave them another shot of Sevin.  Corn too.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2017, 09:55:19 PM »

Just got home after being gone 8 days. First thing I did was check my cukes. I have some little ones and the vines look great. Ill hit the Sevin tomorrow. I dusted pretty well before I left and sprinkled the ground around them...
Mine are burpless. So if I don't get any I usually go without. Reg cukes kill me.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2017, 10:53:15 PM »

Ours are too.  I have dozens of little 'Gerkens' that are growing and many. many blossoms.  Been putting Sevin on the tomato plants and sweet corn too.  I'm using the liquid concentrate in the hose end sprayer.  My corn is just about belt high.  I side dressed a couple days ago with 46 Urea and it went into overdrive.  If it rains, when it quits, I'm out the with the sprayer.  I'm not taking any chances....

No sign of any wilt or leaf issues.  Growing like crazy, out in the onions already.  I'm not about to 'train' them back.  Been too many years without to disturb them.  I'll take a hundred, I never get tired of eating cukes.

It's good for cutworm and horn worms too.  All the plants (Zuchini, Tomatoes and Cucumbers are Burpee pre plants we got at Lowes).  The tomatoes are the Big Boy variety, very bushy plants, dark green foilage.

Picked up some purple potatoes too.  Curious to see if the meat is purple.  I have a lot of potatoes in (as usual).

Next year is green beans, cabbage, sweet corn, onions and potatoes and maybe some caluflower.

I'm really sold on Sevin.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2017, 11:00:32 AM »

I like Sevin too..  I use the powder because i don't have that big a garden.  I use Sevin on the roses and some other flowers too.   A light dusting keeps the bugs from eating up the leaves.  The liquid seems to deaden the roses.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »

No roses here except wild climbers.  Getting some really BIG zukes.  Baseball bat sized.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2017, 04:01:46 PM »

Cuke update
I found 2 about the size of a banana and a bunch of little ones.
Only one leaf chewed up..
I dusted pretty well. I hope that's the trick.
I love small cukes in salad and the onion vinegar thing.  I may use the "Mothers" vinegar. Then I won't have to drink as much of it..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2017, 11:23:09 PM »

Keep the treatment up.  It's supposed to rain next few days.  You'll have to dust again when the rain quits.  I'm regaining my confidence in cukes after 8 dry years.  CL did cukes in vinegar and onions again tonight...they are gone.  I'm gonna pick Zukes tomorrow and run them down to John at his stand in Ottawa Lake...

Are we the only 2 on here with gardens?????

Newport-Bill

• Hero Talker
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2017, 09:35:47 AM »

Mine is coming along.  Spent a lot of time in it this past week.  Hoed around all the plants, tilled between the rows, and then yesterday cleaning up the lines between plants the tiller didn't get.

I do everything from seed so I am a couple weeks behind you guys.  Zukes, cukes, cantaloupe, butternuts, and lots of pumpkins.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:09 AM »

Sounds like you are on top of it Bill...
when i heard rain was coming i did a little hoeing and i took the outside tines off the Mantis and zipped around the plants.
I sure hope the Sevin is the trick.  And i think you are right on the 8 year drought.  It was always so disappointing to walk out one day and see the vines all withered up.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2017, 12:38:46 PM »

Bill...

I like doing stuff like cucumbers and zuchini and tomatoes from hot house started plants, just easier.  Everything else is seed.

Raining cats and dogs here.  Lots of thunder and lightening too.

Newport-Bill

• Hero Talker
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »

Tomatoes are the only thing I have ever started with as a plant.  I had two plants last year (wife doesn't eat tomatoes so 2 plants are enough for me) but I didn't get any fruits till September and by then I start heading north prepping for bow season so it just isn't worth messing with them.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »

I don't care for tomatoes (raw) either.  CL cans tomato sauce for over the winter.  Ah yes bow season.  I need to get my 10 point out and shoot some bolts into the foam cube.  They installed new limbs last year under warranty so I got a re-string too, new cams and new trigger box.

I picked almost a full gunny sack of Zukes today for John's stand in Ottawa Lake from 4 plants.  Not sharing the cukes with anyone.  CL and I can eat everyone 2 plants produce.

Newport-Bill

• Hero Talker
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »

I have a Tenpoint as well, in fact two of them.  Had an issue with one - great customer service.  A deadly accurate weapon for sure.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »

First thing today. Dust the cukes. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up