MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > Massacre at the River Raisin or the Battle of Frenchtown

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Massacre at the River Raisin or the Battle of Frenchtown  (Read 5620 times)

whispers

• Hero Talker
Re: Massacre at the River Raisin or the Battle of Frenchtown
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 11:22:44 PM »

Hello People,

This is a question that has always bothered me and I've found nothing that answers this question so here it is:  Is there anyone here that would know exactly what route British and their Native Indian Confederates took while heading south to Frenchtown, Monroe for the Raisin River massacre in the dead of winter?

What significance does the Stoney Creek area specifically southwest of N. Stoney Creek Rd and Dixie Hwy play in this attack or does it?

Were there more than one route? What present day community’s would this route have taken them through and what reference source can you point out that confirms it? 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 08:58:41 AM »

Hello People,

This is a question that has always bothered me and I've found nothing that answers this question so here it is:  Is there anyone here that would know exactly what route British and their Native Indian Confederates took while heading south to Frenchtown, Monroe for the Raisin River massacre in the dead of winter?

What significance does the Stoney Creek area specifically southwest of N. Stoney Creek Rd and Dixie Hwy play in this attack or does it?

Were there more than one route? What present day community’s would this route have taken them through and what reference source can you point out that confirms it?

I've never seen anything that really authoritatively answers your question but that certainly doesn't mean it didn't exist.

The battle was fought on January 22nd so obviously they could have come right down the ice out on Lake Erie.

The already 'established main route' for American troops moving between Frenchtown and Detroit was Hull's Military road which is followed today by N. Dixie up to US Turnpike to the Huron River and then Jefferson Ave. on up to Detroit.  We had already had our butts kicked at the Battle of Brownstown Creek.  Which would have been within sight of the present day Jefferson.

I would think maybe some of the enemy forces even moved as far west as Flat Rock before proceeding South and East to the battle sight.  Flat Rock being away from Lake Erie was on higher ground.  There weren't really any roads to speak of and most travel followed the old Native American foot trails which most often followed the old animal trails.  The animals typically either followed the rivers or they took the highest ground to avoid the swamps and lowlands.  Obviously the ground along the lake was (still is) pretty low.  That may not have been an issue if everything was frozen though. 

None of the above is with any authority other than my knowledge of military strategy and a bit of knowledge of the area.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 09:19:24 AM »

Hello People,

Would be a fun question to ask the people at the "info" center for the park... 

Haven't been there - but I do know the Gettysburg center has a computerized movement of troops so its not unlikely they have considered it here.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 11:33:33 AM »

Would be a fun question to ask the people at the "info" center for the park... 

Haven't been there - but I do know the Gettysburg center has a computerized movement of troops so its not unlikely they have considered it here.

I've never gone inside the visitor center to see what they have that may be computerized.  I know what you mean though as I've seen them at the Antietam Battlefield.  I've seen the markers outside and they have drawings of the order of progress during the battle and I've seen a few online of how the American survivors attempted to retreat toward Ohio. 

I understand where Whispers is coming from though...   how did the British and Native Americans manage to get their troops and I know of at least one cannon?  There doesn't seem to be much info on that part.  Maybe it was never really documented at the time and it's lost forever. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up