MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Refridge Repair...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refridge Repair...  (Read 351 times)

Zdart

• Active Talker
Refridge Repair...
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:02:35 PM »

My refrigerator quit refrigerating..anybody have insight about repair? It's only about 7 yrs old, but I'd rather have it fixed than buy a new one. Perhaps it's the compressor or something. I work with electricity, so refrigeration is not my strong point. Appreciate any response.. ;)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Refridge Repair...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »

I've worked on my 10 plus year old GE Fridge alot.

I've been through 2 Main Boards.  Takes about 15 minutes to change one.  You can guilt GE into selling you one cheaper, or get a knockoff from AMAZON.  I've also change a thermister or two.

Lots of YOU TUBE videos on troubleshooting fridges.

Just type in what its doing and the brand and you will be amazed what comes up.  Most of the online parts places have pretty good trouble shooting guides too, with the resistances for the pin outs for good / bad.

There isn't much to them, and so far in my experience I've not seen a compressor or mechanical go - its always been a sensor or a board - so easy to fix myself.

If you have a volt / ohm meter pretty easy to diagnose mostly on your own, and get it down to where you are only throwing a couple of parts at it - as long as you are sure the mechanicals aren't dead.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:43:45 PM »

What's it doing?

Jim's Appliance Service (734) 242-8122
Been fixing all my appliances for over 30 years.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:06:59 PM »

Jim's appliance out near Maybee 242-8122 is who I would call. Prompt friendly service and reasonable pricing. I believe Jim is the owner and only employee. I like giving my business to a small local company and I have never had a complaint about his work.

Mav
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 08:19:28 PM »

totally.....Jim's appliances....wouldn't go anywhere else.....
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne

sammy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 08:31:13 PM »

Like, Like Like the last three posts! Absolutely the best.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »

Had water dripping from ceiling of the inside of fridge compartment. Called Durocher's.  Service
man came out. Apparently the drain from ice maker clogged. So he had me remove everything
from freezer and then unscrewed panel at back of freezer compartment. He then took a hair dryer
and melted the clog. Then he screwed the panel back and all done. Took around 30 minutes from
the time he arrived. Service charge $ 179.00! I think I'll try Jim's next time. Frankly, I should
have said wait a minute when he the told me the amount.
John Kopke

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »

And that John is why I just watch videos on Youtube - and break out the hair dryer myself.

Its not rocket science.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

tnweasel

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 10:18:10 PM »

And that John is why I just watch videos on Youtube - and break out the hair dryer myself.

Its not rocket science.

repaired my gas stove from a YouTube video.....just had to use a baby bottle brush to clean out the hole in the center of the burners....who knew???? was right proud of myself!!!
"You did then what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better." ~Maya Angelou

“Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes to us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”  ~John Wayne

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »

repaired my gas stove from a YouTube video.....just had to use a baby bottle brush to clean out the hole in the center of the burners....who knew???? was right proud of myself!!!

Exactly!

Save money, and you get a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Anytime I called Durochers I just felt dirty, and when it still didn't work a week later I was just disgusted they took my money for nothing again after they patiently explained to me how it was somehow my fault they didn't fix it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 10:45:58 PM »

Had water dripping from ceiling of the inside of fridge compartment. Called Durocher's.  Service
man came out. Apparently the drain from ice maker clogged. So he had me remove everything
from freezer and then unscrewed panel at back of freezer compartment. He then took a hair dryer
and melted the clog. Then he screwed the panel back and all done. Took around 30 minutes from
the time he arrived. Service charge $ 179.00! I think I'll try Jim's next time. Frankly, I should
have said wait a minute when he the told me the amount.

My son's fridge did this and I called Jim's, and since it was up in Wyandotte, he told me how to fix it by taking the panel off and using a turkey baster with hot water to melt the ice. He told me it would probably happen again and if it does, he has a small metal clip that screws onto the heater element used to defrost the freezer and slides down into the drain hole to melt the ice. It did happen again and I installed the clip and it hasn't happened since.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up