MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Auto Insurance

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Insurance  (Read 382 times)

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
Auto Insurance
« on: October 19, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »

Calling Flo as soon as possible to cancel our policy after we find someone else for auto insurance.

Received a letter the other day, since our son got has his license, our insurance got increased...
Expected yes except for one thing... Neither me or the wife called and notified them that we are putting our son on the policy. We wasn't sure if we were going to add him or if he was getting his own insurance.

Not sure how they knew... Or how he was "our" son. Thought maybe the State notified our insurance but not really sure

So it states in the letter that what they did was legal.... How? I thought Insurance "Slamming" was illegal.

So hopefully tomorrow, we can find another auto insurance...

We like the road service so were looking for local companies that work with local, out of town or out of state towing companies. We're gonna be looking for someone Local so any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Auto Insurance
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »

We deal with Wayne at Erie Insurance agency, he's got us with Hastings out of Hastings, Mi on a farm policy.  Been with them for at last 20 years.  I get my road service through th American Motorcycle Association.  49 bucks a year.

Tread lightly with insurance companies, Michigan is touchy because of no fault and the MCCA addendum.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »

The joy of Children...   the insurance companies check names and addresses - as well as driving records  (probably freedom of information to the SOS)

Best bet is to check with your homeowners...  "bundled" does save you some.

I stayed with Farm Bureau - as other "agent" companies still couldn't comptete.     

Also, by a junker and just put min on it - and have the kid assigned to driving that car - (then they can "borrow" your other vehicles)... 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 05:38:21 PM »

All I can afford is a ghetto blaster....

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 12:19:27 PM »

The joy of Children...   the insurance companies check names and addresses - as well as driving records  (probably freedom of information to the SOS)

Best bet is to check with your homeowners...  "bundled" does save you some.

I stayed with Farm Bureau - as other "agent" companies still couldn't comptete.     

Also, by a junker and just put min on it - and have the kid assigned to driving that car - (then they can "borrow" your other vehicles)... 
What I made bold is kind of stupid on their part. Why "assume" that he was going to be on our insurance?
Like I mentioned before, "We wasn't sure if we were going to add him or if he was getting his own insurance."
We're hoping to find someone local with roadside service for home, in state and out of state.

supermom

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 01:07:49 PM »

Same thing happened to me Mayo.
I was told that since I allowed my child to get the license, I had to have them on my insurance. And they don't care which car the kids drive, they will add them to the most expensive. It is up to you to "play the game" and figure it out... and find cheaper insurance.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 01:53:08 PM »

Same thing happened to me Mayo.
I was told that since I allowed my child to get the license, I had to have them on my insurance. And they don't care which car the kids drive, they will add them to the most expensive. It is up to you to "play the game" and figure it out... and find cheaper insurance.

Not true in my experience - but then again different agents/agencies may have different rules - or need that extra $.

I kept the youngest on the oldest vehicle with minimal - it's still outrageous -

Pray no accidents or tickets -as that's what really will trigger an increase!   
All those accident forgiveness programs go away if they have a speeding ticket in the past year
 I always told my kids I'll pay while you are in school - but you pay for any increases above that because of your driving record.

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »

The thing about it is that my son is away at school (Technical College) for the next year or two. He didn't drive. We took him and will be picking him up and taking him back for holidays.
Of course the Insurance wouldn't believe us anyway.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:37:47 PM »

Michigan rates are insane anyway.  Sometimes I wish I lived 15 miles south.  Lots cheaper in many ways.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 08:32:03 PM »

The thing about it is that my son is away at school (Technical College) for the next year or two. He didn't drive. We took him and will be picking him up and taking him back for holidays.
Of course the Insurance wouldn't believe us anyway.

I believe you can "Exclude" him from your policy... 

but then you/he is taking a risk if he drives any vehicle - until he has his own policy.

Just like if you are over 50 - you used to be able to add a rider to your policy excluding anyone under 50 being covered.
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 11:18:40 AM »

Michigan rates are insane anyway.  Sometimes I wish I lived 15 miles south.  Lots cheaper in many ways.

You're God damn right they are, it took me 3 weeks to find the cheapest insurance for 2000 Toyota Echo, the cheapest I found was $150/month.

My nephew in N. Carolina has a 2006 Vet, and a brand new Jeep Rubicon and pays $120/month...That's insanity!
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)
Pages: [1]   Go Up