MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Credit Issue..

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Credit Issue..  (Read 956 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: Credit Issue..
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2014, 07:12:43 AM »

If you can show you have been a victim of Identity Theft - it is free at all agencies.

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2014, 09:49:42 AM »

BRD, believe it or not VISA called me within minutes of someone running up hundreds of dollars at Itunes.  They said they noticed unusual charges on my card. 

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2014, 10:21:20 AM »

BRD, believe it or not VISA called me within minutes of someone running up hundreds of dollars at Itunes.  They said they noticed unusual charges on my card.

Not unusual!

The fraud prevention departments are very good in my experience!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »

Any idea how long it takes to 'unlock' it in the event you do decide to do something ??? ??? ???

It it's only a few days it wouldn't be an issue, but if it takes 30 days I can see a couple of potential problems.

It's free if you've had a issue or potential compromise, but I believe it has to be renewed every 90 days.

When you have the freeze - you contact them and let them know you are doing the event (new card or whatever)... 

My "card" rejects foreign transactions - unless I call and authorize them.

I had to help a youngster (family friend) fill out the ID theft on the FTC site -
he was being "sued" for not paying rent in California,
It took some correspondence and proof of Michigan residency to clear that - and the FTC complaint.   
The Form and the correspondence also went to the credit bureaus.

reminds me to have him check ...  It's the young that are vulnerable -
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »

It's free if you've had a issue or potential compromise, but I believe it has to be renewed every 90 days.

Nope - once its on its on - until you ask for it to be temporarily or permanently removed.

Free if you have had a case of Identity Theft and can prove it - $10 if not - and the $10 if you want a temporary or permanent lift.

You have the right to place a security freeze on your Equifax credit file under state law or the Equifax voluntary security freeze program. Only you can request a security freeze be placed on your Equifax credit file and only you can request the security freeze be removed or temporarily lifted. A security freeze will remain on your Equifax credit file until you request the security freeze be permanently removed or you request a temporary lift of the security freeze for a specific credit grantor/credit file user or date range.

A security freeze will require you to plan ahead for all your credit applications as you will need to contact us to request that we temporarily lift your freeze to allow us to report your Equifax credit file. Please note, depending on the law of your state, it may take up to three business days to process your request to temporarily lift the security freeze. It may take longer if you have lost the security freeze confirmation number which we provided to you when you first requested the security freeze be placed on your Equifax credit file.  A security freeze may hinder your ability to immediately obtain credit to make major purchases. Accordingly, if you are credit active and apply for credit on a regular basis and have a security freeze on your Equifax credit file, you need to be especially mindful of the need to plan ahead and contact us in advance to request a temporary lift of the security freeze on your Equifax credit file.

https://help.equifax.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/158/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzkzNjAzNzU5L3NpZC9JTlBJUjNPbA%3D%3D

At this point I am just not seeing the downside to doing this. 

My business relationships are pretty well set.

Much cheaper than hiring Life Lock or someone like that to monitor it.  Makes it much harder to open up a card or account - unless it is through someone I already do business with - then I think I'll have an edge on knowing it is going on?

Can anyone think of a good reason not to spend the $30?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

pam

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2014, 11:50:49 AM »

Do you have homeowner's insurance? We just got our renewal packet and as I was looking through it, I noticed there's coverage for identity theft, including an advocate to help with clearing things up and coverage for any personal loss. I hope I never have to use it, but it was nice to see it there...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2014, 12:30:56 PM »

I am impressed with the responses and the amount of reference material posted.  I guess it's something I've not paid a lot of attention to because it's never hit 'close to home'! 

My wife was in Florida recently and using her Mastercard and she got a similar call.  They're accustomed to seeing her spend a few dollars for her lunch at work...  not renting a car in Ft. Myers!!!  Amazing what modern tech will do.  You'd think the bank could just call ASA and ask if that's really her and if it's her using the card ;) ;) ;)
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2014, 12:50:58 PM »

Or they could just turn on the camera on her cell phone and see if she is in the rental car.....  or the GPS on her phone and see if she is tooling around FLA....

Lucky wife you got there!
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2014, 01:02:11 PM »

Or they could just turn on the camera on her cell phone and see if she is in the rental car.....  or the GPS on her phone and see if she is tooling around FLA....

Lucky wife you got there!

She was there visiting her Mom...   sort of a vacation but not really!!!

But it was warmer than it was here so I guess that was a plus!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »

Don't know where to post this, but here goes...Does anybody have any input/suggestions/direction on what to do if someone fraudulently opens a credit card in your name and it ends up on your credit report? My initial guess would be that I have the burden of proof that it is fraudulent, but certainly, there is some kind of consumer protection...or am I way off? This perturbs me..

Any progress yet?

Anything yet to add (or correct) what we had 'collectively' posted?

Are the bums at least shut down from charging any more yet?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »

I just stumbled on this thread while I'm working on our Anthem Blue Cross issues... 

Still waiting for our 'letter' but trying to get as edumacated as I can in the meantime...

any new updates here ??? ??? ???

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up